By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 1st party actually reminds me of Microsoft 1st party or vise versa

coolbeans said:
pokoko said:

It's not a mistake.  As far as I know, Microsoft owns both IP, they're both first party games.

Yes it is.  Owning the IP doesn't translate to first-party when discussing studios and their design ethos; both State of Decay and Quantum Break translate to those developers being "2nd party partners."  Halo Wars 2 that OP mentions would also be in contention.  But that one is more of an amalgamation since 343 (first party) and Creative Assembly (third party) share developer credits there.

The game is first party if Microsoft owns the assets, doesn't matter who works on it.  There is really no such thing as second party.  You have first party games and first party studios, then you have third party games and third party studios.  A third party studio can work on a first party game.

 

“Today, State of Decay was given a Refused Classification (RC) rating by the Australian Classification Board," said Microsoft, in a statement sent to Kotaku, "meaning that the game cannot be made available to Australian customers at this time. Microsoft is currently evaluating the options with regards to the title’s classification.

"Microsoft operates within the legal requirements of the Australian Classification Board when it comes to the rating of all its first party gaming titles and agrees that not all content is suitable for all audiences. The Australian Classification system plays an important role in ensuring that Australians can only access age appropriate games and content."  http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/microsoft-confirms-that-state-of-decay-has-been-refused-classification/

 

Shannon Loftis: I’m the head of Microsoft Studios First Party Publishing. That means that: number one, I have the best job in the world; and number two, I manage a team of about 90 game coders and designers who partner with independent game developers all over the world to help them bring their games to our platforms. 

Undead Labs are industry veterans. Jeff Strain worked on World of Warcraft and then at ArenaNet – he’s not a slouch in game development. When he told us he was starting a studio and they had the pitch for State of Decay, he said they had a very specific way that they wanted to approach the development. So we started out with what was essentially an XBLA level-sized game, a smaller game, and then we did some very deliberately thought out DLC packages to sort of test consumer response, rather than building the entire thing. State of Decay plus all the Year-One Survival Edition DLCs in one release would have been a big risk to take, so we did it as a modular release. And now with State of Decay 2 we’re taking much of what we learned from the first game and we’re making it a triple-A game.  http://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-studios-general-manager-shannon-loftis-interview/

 

Xbox Head of First Party Publishing, Shannon Loftis, spoke with Geoff Keighley recently on the E3 2016 YouTube stream. She told Keighley that there are quite a few exclusive games that have yet to be announced as more are in development.

She said: “I head first party game publishing for Xbox One or Windows 10 or any of our platforms. ‘We right now have, i think, 14 games in development. We talked about four of those this morning – Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore. We also have Crackdown 3, which we announced has now been moved into 2017, and there are a few other ones that aren’t quite ready to be talked about yet.”  http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-unannounced-xbox-onewindows-10-exclusive-games-way/



Around the Network
Slade6alpha said:
celador said:

MS may focus more on gameplay, problem is, it's the same gameplay in the same franchises over and over again. Nintendo does something similar, but their games are far better and take more risks and introduce more new mechanics in the long run. And Nintendo have more new IPs than people give them credit for

All three are guilty of this. And I can't say that's necessarily true for the Wii U era, Switch is looking much more "risks and new mechanics." or ambitious. 

Gen 8 definitely showed that stepping away from our comfort zone can make amazing results. Cannot wait to see DK, Pikmin, Smash, and other series that'll come to the Switch 



BraLoD said:
Alkibiádēs said:

PS4 is impressive, U4 is not. Nintendo has many franchises that sell better and only cost a fraction of the money and time that is required to develop a game like U4. Besides, isn't U4 heavily bundled anyway?

A game that sells 9M in a single system in a year isn't impressive?
And which franchises does Nintendo have that sell better than that? Literally Mario and Pokemon, where is the other many of them? Not even Mario did this time, only Pokemon.

Please... just don't.

 

Alkibiádēs said:
BraLoD said:

A game that sells 9M in a single system in a year isn't impressive?
And which franchises does Nintendo have that sell better than that? Literally Mario and Pokemon, where is the other many of them? Not even Mario did this time, only Pokemon.

Please... just don't.

3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros., etc.

And if we look at the Wii era: Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. 

Does it even matter?

Both MK8 and Uncharted were impressive for their own reasons, and are solid games. 

 

MK8 was on the Wii U, which was a big flop. It still managed to sell 8-9 million. 

Uncharted, while having a large userbase, definitely was nowhere near as popular as Mario Kart. It is great to see it have around the same number of copies. Yes, it was heavily bundled, but I'm not sure how many units that would've added.



pokoko said:
coolbeans said:

Yes it is.  Owning the IP doesn't translate to first-party when discussing studios and their design ethos; both State of Decay and Quantum Break translate to those developers being "2nd party partners."  Halo Wars 2 that OP mentions would also be in contention.  But that one is more of an amalgamation since 343 (first party) and Creative Assembly (third party) share developer credits there.

The game is first party if Microsoft owns the assets, doesn't matter who works on it.  There is really no such thing as second party.  You have first party games and first party studios, then you have third party games and third party studios.  A third party studio can work on a first party game.

*tips imaginary fedora* Fair enough.  Can't say I've personally entered any of these convos without considering "first party [studios]" in my head so I'll have to keep this in mind going forward.  

In regards to your original comment with QB then: as I mentioned, it appears to be a clear outlier in MS' general trend of approaching their 1st party stuff.  In a way, QB almost seems like an acknowledgement of MS not having many 'cinematic-oriented titles" by doubling down on it.  Though I would contend Gears 4 was skirting that line with all of its heavier emphasis on scripted bombast.  

 

EDIT: Noticed confusing language in 2nd sentence so altered some stuff.



Goatseye said:
Shiken said:

I actually do own an X1, as well as a PS4 and WiiU.  I know all there is to know friend!

 

And FYI, State of Decay was developed by Undead Games.  Undead Games is a small 3rd party company, not a 1st party company which is what this thread is about making it an invalid argument against Nintendo 1st party franchises.  You may want to fact check before debating with false information.

"It seems Microsoft 1st party and Nintendo 1st party games aim for gameplay over the cinematic experience"- OP

Raeding and comprehension is key my friend. School is important, don't quit...

I advise both of you guys to let this one go. Gotten ugly enough!



                                                                                                                                                           

Around the Network
pokoko said:
coolbeans said:

Yes it is.  Owning the IP doesn't translate to first-party when discussing studios and their design ethos; both State of Decay and Quantum Break translate to those developers being "2nd party partners."  Halo Wars 2 that OP mentions would also be in contention.  But that one is more of an amalgamation since 343 (first party) and Creative Assembly (third party) share developer credits there.

The game is first party if Microsoft owns the assets, doesn't matter who works on it.  There is really no such thing as second party.  You have first party games and first party studios, then you have third party games and third party studios.  A third party studio can work on a first party game.

 

“Today, State of Decay was given a Refused Classification (RC) rating by the Australian Classification Board," said Microsoft, in a statement sent to Kotaku, "meaning that the game cannot be made available to Australian customers at this time. Microsoft is currently evaluating the options with regards to the title’s classification.

"Microsoft operates within the legal requirements of the Australian Classification Board when it comes to the rating of all its first party gaming titles and agrees that not all content is suitable for all audiences. The Australian Classification system plays an important role in ensuring that Australians can only access age appropriate games and content."  http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/microsoft-confirms-that-state-of-decay-has-been-refused-classification/

 

Shannon Loftis: I’m the head of Microsoft Studios First Party Publishing. That means that: number one, I have the best job in the world; and number two, I manage a team of about 90 game coders and designers who partner with independent game developers all over the world to help them bring their games to our platforms. 

Undead Labs are industry veterans. Jeff Strain worked on World of Warcraft and then at ArenaNet – he’s not a slouch in game development. When he told us he was starting a studio and they had the pitch for State of Decay, he said they had a very specific way that they wanted to approach the development. So we started out with what was essentially an XBLA level-sized game, a smaller game, and then we did some very deliberately thought out DLC packages to sort of test consumer response, rather than building the entire thing. State of Decay plus all the Year-One Survival Edition DLCs in one release would have been a big risk to take, so we did it as a modular release. And now with State of Decay 2 we’re taking much of what we learned from the first game and we’re making it a triple-A game.  http://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-studios-general-manager-shannon-loftis-interview/

 

Xbox Head of First Party Publishing, Shannon Loftis, spoke with Geoff Keighley recently on the E3 2016 YouTube stream. She told Keighley that there are quite a few exclusive games that have yet to be announced as more are in development.

She said: “I head first party game publishing for Xbox One or Windows 10 or any of our platforms. ‘We right now have, i think, 14 games in development. We talked about four of those this morning – Killer Instinct, Scalebound, State of Decay 2, and ReCore. We also have Crackdown 3, which we announced has now been moved into 2017, and there are a few other ones that aren’t quite ready to be talked about yet.”  http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/microsoft-unannounced-xbox-onewindows-10-exclusive-games-way/

A lot of those games haven't been talked much have they?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."