By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo 1st party actually reminds me of Microsoft 1st party or vise versa

badgenome said:
VAMatt said:

I think this is largely true across all platforms and all  AAA developers.  Games are *mostly* the same as the games that came before.  That's natural.  Huge money is spent making most big games.  Risks, such as trying unproven mechanics or genres, are very difficult to justify.  Many millions can be lost if things don't work out as hoped.

To a degree, sure, but Sony really likes to choose those super long, cinematic sequences like the hunting scene from GOW or the Uncharted one with Chloe in Derkaderkastan from PSX recently. It always gives me an overwhelming sense of deja vu.

This doesn't make any sense. GOW and Uncharted TLL were nothing alike. How does hunting compare to sneaking around? The setting, action and atmosphere were nothing alike and neither were the setting or tone. This is just a pointless criticism as is this entire tgread. Also the hunting scene was to show the bond between Kratos and his son. What exactly was wrong with it? It wasn't even cinematic. Only on the internet do I see people nitpicking for no reason. Yet GOW trailer is the most viewed on YouTube since E3. Sony is doing something right.

Around the Network
MarkPo said:

This doesn't make any sense. GOW and Uncharted TLL were nothing alike. How does hunter compare to sneaking around? The setting, action and atmosphere were nothing alike and neither were the setting or tone. This is just a pointless criticism as is this entire tgread. Also the hunting scene was to show the bond between Kratos and his son. What exactly was wrong with it? It wasn't even cinematic. Only on the internet do I see people nitpicking for no reason. Yet GOW trailer is the most viewed on YouTube since E3. Sony is doing something right.

Maybe you're right and they're not the same at all, I dunno. I just found myself similarly bored to tears by their glacial pacing and seeming confusion over whether they're making movies or video games.

Also the criticism of Uncharted is just goofy lol. It's the best selling first party game this generation on home console. Outselling all MS and Nintendo games combined last year. I'm sure all those Uncharted 4 owners play it for gameplay. Any criticism about it being cinematic and not having "gameplay" is void since it has multiplayer that is popular and always being streamed. Same with TLoU:R. Survival mode just realised last month and it's great. So Uncharted has tons of replay value. Gears of War has a terrible single player with nothing but cover system shooting by comparison to Uncharted's varied gameplay of stealth, shooting, melee and climbing. It's the only 3rd person shooter that let's you shoot while climbing. Don't ever criticize the gameplay when it's the best TPS period. Gears has not evolved at all. Neither has Halo. Killzone, inFamous, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and GOW have all brought gameplay changes and new mechanics that improve the games this gen. So is HotShots. Nintendo is the same as always and no western games, while MS has a lack of games and no Japanese games.

badgenome said:
MarkPo said:

This doesn't make any sense. GOW and Uncharted TLL were nothing alike. How does hunter compare to sneaking around? The setting, action and atmosphere were nothing alike and neither were the setting or tone. This is just a pointless criticism as is this entire tgread. Also the hunting scene was to show the bond between Kratos and his son. What exactly was wrong with it? It wasn't even cinematic. Only on the internet do I see people nitpicking for no reason. Yet GOW trailer is the most viewed on YouTube since E3. Sony is doing something right.

Maybe you're right and they're not the same at all, I dunno. I just found myself similarly bored to tears by their glacial pacing and seeming confusion over whether they're making movies or video games.

I guesss you felt the same way when Nintendo showed the CGI Zelda trailer, MS showed Gears and Halo and most third party trailers? Good thing those movies sell so your approval isn't relevant or needed. Thanks though.

MarkPo said:

I guesss you felt the same way when Nintendo showed the CGI Zelda trailer, MS showed Gears and Halo and most third party trailers? Good thing those movies sell so your approval isn't relevant or needed. Thanks though.

I don't really watch conferences for systems I don't own that closely, so probably not.

While my opinion may not matter to Sony, at least it matters to you. :~)

Around the Network
badgenome said:
MarkPo said:

I don't really watch conferences for systems I don't own that closely, so probably not.

Well that proves why you make uneducated comments which explains it. You took the time to comment on a console you don't own and I just corrected you. Nothing more. It doesn't matter to me, just don't post if you don't know what you are talking about. Class is over.

MarkPo said:

Well that proves why you make uneducated comments which explains it. You took the time to comment on a console you don't own and I just corrected you. Nothing more. It doesn't matter to me, just don't post if you don't know what you are talking about. Class is over.

I didn't comment on MS or Nintendo, though.

MarkPo said:
Also the criticism of Uncharted is just goofy lol. It's the best selling first party game this generation on home console. Outselling all MS and Nintendo games combined last year. I'm sure all those Uncharted 4 owners play it for gameplay. Any criticism about it being cinematic and not having "gameplay" is void since it has multiplayer that is popular and always being streamed. Same with TLoU:R. Survival mode just realised last month and it's great. So Uncharted has tons of replay value. Gears of War has a terrible single player with nothing but cover system shooting by comparison to Uncharted's varied gameplay of stealth, shooting, melee and climbing. It's the only 3rd person shooter that let's you shoot while climbing. Don't ever criticize the gameplay when it's the best TPS period. Gears has not evolved at all. Neither has Halo. Killzone, inFamous, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and GOW have all brought gameplay changes and new mechanics that improve the games this gen. So is HotShots. Nintendo is the same as always and no western games, while MS has a lack of games and no Japanese games.

Actually Mario Kart 8 sold more than UC4.

MarkPo said:
badgenome said:

Errrr... his comment on Sony system, which he owns, unless PS4 wasn't bought yet, which I don't think is the case

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
jason1637 said:

Actually Mario Kart 8 sold more than UC4.

Eh, last we heard, MK8 sold just over 8 million. Uncharted 4 currently sits at 8.7 million. So, it could be a toss up (given MK8's info is from October 2016).

He says Uncharted 4 outsold all Nintendo games combined last year... Erm, he might want to take a look at the sales of Pokémon Sun & Moon. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides