By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Scorpio Spec leak - "might suggest console isn't the "true" 4k console as MS claimed"

loy310 said:
This will just extend the XB1 brand for the remainder of the gen, keeps them viable and I. The race until 2018-2020 when the real next gen is expected. Casuals won't be picking this up the same way casuals won't be picking up the Pro. Both just fill the mid gen power gap between consoles and PC especially for Sony.

It will more than likely sell to existing XB1 owners in the short term, just like the Pro has. But I think it will do better because the PS4 went from 'the most powerful' to 'even more powerful' and that's not as attractive as going from 'the weakest' to 'the most powerful'. This is an advantage MS has. Promoting that message any wider than the current XB1 community is going to be tough.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Captain_Yuri said:
But... Dem uncompressed pixelz :(

A) So what happened to "True 4K Gaming"?

B) It got Checkerboarded.

Scorpio is going to be a slightly better PS4pro, but basically do the same.

It ll probably be slightly more expensive however, and a year late.

If DF is right, the differnce (between ps4pro & scorpio) wont be nearly as big as many xbox fans are expecting.

Pretty much. The Scorpio looks closer to an AMD 480/ Nvidia 1060 with higher vram and memory bandwidth by the looks of it which will help with the higher resolutions but a true 4k cards is well above those specs. I can see AMD releasing a 485 with those specs but a bit better in the future. I am sure it will run more games at 4k native than on the ps4 pro but certainly not all of them and certainly not at PC max or anything.

All in all, the race to 4k might be achieved in the next cycle of consoles, this cycle is just the middle ground.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

barneystinson69 said:

Told people they would aim for $399. 6Tflops is better for 1440p gaming and the such, so I had my doubts. Still expect it to have better frame rates and have more games run at 4k.

Yup, in most cases 6TFlops just isn't enough for Native 4k.

I am surprise however, I expected Microsoft to really push the native 4k thing as hard as they could, just to use it as marketing ammunition, even at the expense of other graphical features.

I was expecting a $499 Powerhouse with a new CPU that prioritized Native 4k. 

But yeah now it looks like a $399 machine that is closer to the ps4 pro then I expected, assuming this is correct.

I'm not sure which of those two options would have served Microsoft better.

How scorpio close to pro? 6tflops > 4tflops 320bw > 218bw. Not to mention scorpio will get more and better ram probably.

Snoopy said:

How scorpio close to pro?

The same way the PS4 is close to the XBO.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Snoopy said:

How scorpio close to pro?

So 2 more tflops and  better cpu (which base ps4 doesn't have over xbox one) and probably more ram. Xbox one will be able to do 4k just fine outside of resource heavy engines like the frost engine.

I think MS may have opted out of Vega and or Zen in favour of a better cost of entry for gamers. They've had enough time to judge reactions and look at feedback from the Pro and Scorpio to realise they can't out price themselves.

Snoopy said:
Barkley said:

So 2 more tflops and  better cpu (which base ps4 doesn't have over xbox one) and probably more ram. Xbox one will be able to do 4k just fine outside of resource heavy engines like the frost engine.

Nope, but it has a better gpu and better RAM. 

Either way, it's not like it matters. It didn't stop you buying a X1 over a PS4 and it won't stop others buying a Pro over a Scorpio. 

Snoopy said:
Barkley said:

The difference is larger, mainly due to the ram, in terms of Flops the difference is almost proportionally identical. In practical use I imagine it'll be fairly similair to what we've been used to between XBO and PS4.

Just swap the sides and the 900p vs 1080p threads to 1440p vs 1800p threads.

I was expecting a $499 machine that really pushed the boat out on Power in a console. But now I expect something more inline with the Pro. Hell some people expected this machine to be "next-gen".

You will get better performance and fidelity on the Scorpio but just like the PS4 and XBO the difference won't be dramatic.

In other words...more native AAA 4K games and more Definitive multiplats than PS4 Pro.

ESRAM gone makes no difference for developers since its unified platform with Windows 10/UWP.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S