By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch outsell the PS4 in Japan? And what effect would this have?

Will the Switch outsell the PS4 in Japan?

In Japan, Yes! 357 78.46%

In Japan, No! 98 21.54%

Total:455

Well game pre orders for zelda and 1/2 switch are promising so far. It all depends on what ex 3DS devs do...Will their be a monster hunter/yokai watch switch game etc...

Around the Network

Without a doubt. Actually, if a console comes out that isn't like the Switch after this, I think it'll tank against it. It's just too great of a premise for Japanese gamers. I think Nintendo is setting a new standard with taking the same games on the go and displaying on the TV. The Switch sounded underwhelming at first but now I really understand its true potential. It's going to be a beast over in Japan.

Yes it will very likely sell more than PS4. Handhelds in Japan usually do, especially from Nintendo.

It will have no effect on anything. It's just another handheld capable device selling well in the country that prioritise handhelds.

PS4 will do PS4 and Switch will do WiiU + 3DS, eventually.

If anything the Switch was made for the Japanese. It's the rest of the world that may need working on.

ShadowSoldier said:
Miyamotoo said:

Doesn't really matter, handheld are much more popular in Japan than home consoles (just compare 3DS numbers and PS4 numbers, 3DS sold 5x better than PS4 in Japan), and Switch is handheld console also, and it will have one most popular IPs in Japan, lotsa 3DS owners will do upgrade to Switch in any case, even some Vita owners.

The 3Ds is the 3DS. As of this moment, it doesn't look like the switch is going to have the sort of library or pull of the 3DS. Every developer that wanted to go mobile had no choice but to opt for the 3DS. Now the situation is an intensely competitive mobile market and a drought of 3rd part developer interest. 

And Switch is Switch, console thats a handheld also, on Japanese market, and it will have most popular Japanese IP that is Pokemon and other very popular IPs like Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Yokai Watch...on other hand PS4 is not selling great on Japanese market. Its not relly hard to understand that Switch will easily outsell PS4 in Japan (PS4 even had problems to outsell Wii U on Japanese market), not only that handhelds are much more popular than home consoles in Japan, but Switch will have very strong and popular IPs in Japan that PS4 want have.

etking said:

It just will not happen, the PS4 has so much better JRPG and Japanese game support, it is impossible for the Switch to outsell it. PS4 will also have the best version of Dragon Quest XI, so no. Also the Switch is just too large for a mobile device.

So it's impossible that console thats in same time handheld, that will have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Splatoon...to outsell PS4 (home console) on Japanese market!? Ok than. :D

Ljink96 said:
Without a doubt. Actually, if a console comes out that isn't like the Switch after this, I think it'll tank against it. It's just too great of a premise for Japanese gamers. I think Nintendo is setting a new standard with taking the same games on the go and displaying on the TV. The Switch sounded underwhelming at first but now I really understand its true potential. It's going to be a beast over in Japan.

It's really much more simple than that, it's software. You could have a great machine but if you don't have the software to push it then it will struggle to sell whether or not it's a portable (such as the Vita). I'm not suggesting anything about the Switch but it's something to think about.

Around the Network

This is a dangerous time for Nintendo. If Nintendo starts thinking like many of the people in this thread, that success is a given in Japan, then they risk losing even more market share to mobile. That's going to be their real enemy.

Depend on if people will consider it more handheld or more home console

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Not sure about that. A hunch maybe, but not sure.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

of course it will.

an absolutely absurd thread. Its a hybrid, yes, but HEAVILY portable. It will sell a lot in Japan, the PS4 hasn't really sold THAT well I don't think when compared with like the PS1

This thread reminds me WiiU launch when everyone thought itd success was à given Because of Wii.
You could bé surprised expected way too much from Switch, its highly unlikely it reaches 3DS sales, éven Wii sales in Japan is not likely.

This will bé an interesting thread to bump in One year i think to comparé prédictions of success back then with whar really happened.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m