By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch outsell the PS4 in Japan? And what effect would this have?

Will the Switch outsell the PS4 in Japan?

In Japan, Yes! 357 78.46%

In Japan, No! 98 21.54%

Total:455
ShadowSoldier said:
I would be very surprise if this happens. PS4 has such a gigantic lead and has been producing quality JRPGs. The Switch just doesn't have the software and if the rumors of it only lasting 2.5 hours of battery life.....thats pretty useless.

Lead does not mean nothing if we talk about final numbers, Switch is also portable console in Japan that will have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, 3DS...battery is from 2.5h to 6 hours, not only 2.5h, for Zelda BotW is around 3 hours.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Easily, and most likely will outsell Vita too.

it could outsell both of them combined.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ShadowSoldier said:
I would be very surprise if this happens. PS4 has such a gigantic lead and has been producing quality JRPGs. The Switch just doesn't have the software and if the rumors of it only lasting 2.5 hours of battery life.....thats pretty useless.

Battery life is confirmed to be 2.5 to 6.5 hours, so basically the same as the 3DS battery life. And considering the 3DS sold around 14.6 million units in only japan in the same time the PS4 has been out there I dont think a 4 million lead is enough. This is Japan we are talking about, handheld consoles dominate the market there.

Miyamotoo said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Lead does not mean nothing if we talk about final numbers, Switch is also portable console in Japan that will have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Smash Bros, 3DS...battery is from 2.5h to 6 hours, not only 2.5h, for Zelda BotW is around 3 hours.

Again. I hope that's the case. Gaming needs Japanese industry to be tight. I want the Switch to succeed. Thinking that it'll outsell the PS4 with little to no games? Nothing compelling outside of novelty and a few Nintendo games? Is it confirmed that the next Pokemon won't also be available on 3DS?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

In theory it should and I think it will.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Easily, and most likely will outsell Vita too.

It could, but little harder, most likely Vita+PS4 combined at end will have close to 15m. IMO Switch LT will have at least 10m in Japan.

ShadowSoldier said:
Miyamotoo said:

Again. I hope that's the case. Gaming needs Japanese industry to be tight. I want the Switch to succeed. Thinking that it'll outsell the PS4 with little to no games? Nothing compelling outside of novelty and a few Nintendo games? Is it confirmed that the next Pokemon won't also be available on 3DS?

Doesn't really matter, handheld are much more popular in Japan than home consoles (just compare 3DS numbers and PS4 numbers, 3DS sold 5x better than PS4 in Japan), and Switch is handheld console also, and it will have one most popular IPs in Japan, lotsa 3DS owners will do upgrade to Switch in any case, even some Vita owners.

It just will not happen, the PS4 has so much better JRPG and Japanese game support, it is impossible for the Switch to outsell it. PS4 will also have the best version of Dragon Quest XI, so no. Also the Switch is just too large for a mobile device.

Miyamotoo said:
zorg1000 said:

It could, but little harder, most likely Vita+PS4 combined at end will have around 15m. IMO Switch LT will have at least 10m in Japan.

of course it will be harder since its a higher number but 3DS+Wii U are over 25 million so if Switch does in fact become a successor to both of them than only selling 10-15 million would be awful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Doesn't really matter, handheld are much more popular in Japan than home consoles (just compare 3DS numbers and PS4 numbers, 3DS sold 5x better than PS4 in Japan), and Switch is handheld console also, and it will have one most popular IPs in Japan, lotsa 3DS owners will do upgrade to Switch in any case, even some Vita owners.

The 3Ds is the 3DS. As of this moment, it doesn't look like the switch is going to have the sort of library or pull of the 3DS. Every developer that wanted to go mobile had no choice but to opt for the 3DS. Now the situation is an intensely competitive mobile market and a drought of 3rd part developer interest. 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi