By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Titanfall 2 Designer: Switch Is So Underpowered Third Party Support Will Be No Different Than Wii U

Nem said:
Alkibiádēs said:

They were expecting to sell over 10 million copies lol. 

EA was. The studio gets payed either way.

They make AAA titles. I'm sure they can get another publisher interested in a 2m sales game. Just won't put the same backing in it that EA did.

But honestly... its EA's fault for making it compete with their own other product, battlefield.

Still... this has no relevance to what he is saying about the Switch, wich is the purest truth.

Titanfall 2 bombing is also pure truth. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
NightDragon83 said:
So basically the Switch is going to be the Wii U2 (Bono to sue for copyright infringement shortly). Same old story... we're going to get a trickle of 1st party releases over the system's life span coupled with a handful of games that try to capitalize on the "innovative" motion control gimmick of the JoyCons but ultimately flop because that casual market has moved on from the likes of the Wii and Kinect to mobile and tablets and is never coming back no matter how hard Nintendo wants to believe otherwise.

You know, if Nintendo had just given us a standard console that is at minimum on par with the PS4 in terms of power that's also game-card based instead of having an optical drive and HDD, they could have released the thing for $299 and it would have satisfied the majority of gamers out there as they would finally have a console to play both Nintendo 1st party titles and most of the major 3rd party multiplatform titles on.

What would be the point of a third identical console (this late into the generation no less)? Why would the people who regularly buy third party games all of a sudden switch from PS4 or XBONE to this new console you propose? And who says the majority of the third party developers would support them? The Gamecube proves that cheap price and power isn't enough for Nintendo to succeed or to get the majority of the third party support. 

And no, the Switch is very different from the Wii U.

The Wii U proves that low power and no 3rd party sells even worse than GameCube.  What's your point?

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
Alkibiádēs said:

What would be the point of a third identical console (this late into the generation no less)? Why would the people who regularly buy third party games all of a sudden switch from PS4 or XBONE to this new console you propose? And who says the majority of the third party developers would support them? The Gamecube proves that cheap price and power isn't enough for Nintendo to succeed or to get the majority of the third party support. 

And no, the Switch is very different from the Wii U.

The Wii U proves that low power and no 3rd party sells even worse than GameCube.  What's your point?

Gamecube was far cheaper than the Wii U ever was. Hence why it sold so little. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

NightDragon83 said:
So basically the Switch is going to be the Wii U2 (Bono to sue for copyright infringement shortly). Same old story... we're going to get a trickle of 1st party releases over the system's life span coupled with a handful of games that try to capitalize on the "innovative" motion control gimmick of the JoyCons but ultimately flop because that casual market has moved on from the likes of the Wii and Kinect to mobile and tablets and is never coming back no matter how hard Nintendo wants to believe otherwise.

You know, if Nintendo had just given us a standard console that is at minimum on par with the PS4 in terms of power that's also game-card based instead of having an optical drive and HDD, they could have released the thing for $299 and it would have satisfied the majority of gamers out there as they would finally have a console to play both Nintendo 1st party titles and most of the major 3rd party multiplatform titles on.

If Switch does become the 3DS successor in addition to Wii U than I see it's overall library looking closer to 3DS than Wii U. It's not likely to get many AAA western titles but it looks like it will have a pretty strong lineup of Japanese, indie & kid/family software. Even though Switch has a low amount of launch games, it appears as though it will have a much more steady flow of games than 3DS or Wii U had in their first year.

I highly doubt a Nintendo version of PS4 would do that great. Ya it would be much easier to get ports but who would buy them? You think the 80 million people who bought a PS4/XBO in the last 3 years are going to just drop those consoles and spend $300 to play the games they already have access to? You think the people looking for a console to play AAA western titles in 2017 and beyond are going to choose Nintendo over the established devices with huge libraries and online communities? Releasing a PS4 level console with the intention of getting ports in 2017 is very similar to releasing a PS3/360 level console with the intention of getting ports in 2012.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well the 3DS did fine and well without Titanfall I think there is no loss here. 3DS got plenty of third party support and it was the fact it was underpowered those games were so successful as 3rd parties made their own games specifically for the hardware and not just some 6 month old port with missing features.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Nem said:

EA was. The studio gets payed either way.

They make AAA titles. I'm sure they can get another publisher interested in a 2m sales game. Just won't put the same backing in it that EA did.

But honestly... its EA's fault for making it compete with their own other product, battlefield.

Still... this has no relevance to what he is saying about the Switch, wich is the purest truth.

Titanfall 2 bombing is also pure truth. 

Didn't say it wasnt. It's apparantly a very good game though. For those that like FPS' ofc.

He's right...but he has no ground to stand on. Titanfall was 600P on Xbox One. What is Titanfall 2, 900P? And only on PS4. It's only 720 on Xbox. Who cares if the Switch only gets up to 900P? Obviously Xbox fans don't care about resolution either.

Ah well. I originally held off on this one in hopes that it would come to Switch, guess that's all cleared up now. Either way, I don't care all that much about third party games on Switch. Would have been nice to have them portable, but I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

I thought Titanfall was an XBOX exclusive. How did Titanfall 2 turned out, didn't got a ton of news about it.

sundin13 said:
Nobody ever expected to get every third party game on Switch (and I don't think anyone expected Titanfall), but it still sucks to see people put Nintendo into this box. I have always felt that Nintendo systems typically offer more room for creativity than most but so many developers just look to "more graphics" for their iterations as opposed to anything which actually pushes the boundaries.

Also, this is why you let your PR team do the talking.

You're close with the comment about them looking towards more graphics but it's deeper than that. It's not really about graphics it's about commercial success. Most third party games, at least the huge ones, are nothing but paychecks for these guys. These studios don't care about the end user at all. They don't care about innovation, bringing people together... nothing. There is no moral, ethical or idealistic stances to be had. All they care about is whether they can create a mass market "product" to get rich off of... nothing more.

This is why Nintendo consoles fail to get them. Nintendo isn't just a business. They actually have principles and ideals. They stand for something and won't waiver just to make money. This means that they're going to create hardware that is unique and works to expand on THEIR software. They want third party developers to do the same but if they're just in it for a buck, well... that isn't going to happen. The guys from Titanfall are just employees. Their publisher EA... I mean come on. Do I even need to say more? lol.

The Switch will attract develpers that care about their games in a creative, artistic and idealistic way. I honestly don't think that's a bad thing.