By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Innovation and Power in one

h2ohno said:
The reason Sony is doing so well this generation is because they decided not to innovate relative to the competition. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with their focus on Kinect and their ridiculous online policies early on, allowing Sony to get a huge amount of good press for saying 'we're keeping things the same and not doing what Microsoft is doing,' and Nintendo went overboard trying to innovate with the Wii U, leading to the console being a failure saleswise. Sony released a safe, normal system with a good variety of safe, normal games, and that is exactly what the market wanted in the 8th generation.

Software innovation is mostly on the indie side of things nowadays.

innovation refers to implementing changes that improve upon and add to an existing framework... meaning that the wii u by definition was not innovative as nintendo has thrown that game console concept in the bin now and the same applies to the wii also

there seems to be a lot of people that just do not understand what "innovation" actually means

iinovation is not simply changing things for the sake of changing them as people appear to believe

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You're just listing games, I'm asking what did these games innovate. 

...how are the latest iterations of mario kart, smash bros, 3d mario etc etc etc innovative?

Who called those games innovative? Although 3D Mario often changes things up with every new iteration, you never know what to expect. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
o_O.Q said:

...how are the latest iterations of mario kart, smash bros, 3d mario etc etc etc innovative?

Who called those games innovative? Although 3D Mario often changes things up with every new iteration, you never know what to expect. 

that's like me saying that because gta 5 implemented various significant changes to the feature set of the franchise that its innovative (which is the case with regards to the franchise )

but somehow i'm sure games like gta don't really factor in with regards to your claims about what is innovative and what is not

o_O.Q said:
Alkibiádēs said:

that's like me saying that because gta 5 implemented various significant changes to the feature set of the franchise that its innovative (which is the case with regards to the franchise )

but somehow i'm sure games like gta don't really factor in with regards to your claims about what is innovative and what is not

How about you play a 3D Mario game first before you claim it hasn't changed in 20 years. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Lets play a game, its called get your act together:

- Contestant #1: I believe Console A will be in a better position, since the most important thing is what the hardware of your console is capable of...

Contestant #3 interrupts saying: The hardware means nothing, the games is all what matters.

- Contestant #2: My position is that Console B will be in a better position because of the incredible quality and amount of games that they...

Contestant #3 interrupts again saying: I will ignore that list of games, they mean nothing. The most important thing is what the hardware of your console can do.

- Announcer: Ahhh... contestant #3, do you understand the name of the game?

(I wonder how many people will actually understand what this means)

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
h2ohno said:
The reason Sony is doing so well this generation is because they decided not to innovate relative to the competition. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with their focus on Kinect and their ridiculous online policies early on, allowing Sony to get a huge amount of good press for saying 'we're keeping things the same and not doing what Microsoft is doing,' and Nintendo went overboard trying to innovate with the Wii U, leading to the console being a failure saleswise. Sony released a safe, normal system with a good variety of safe, normal games, and that is exactly what the market wanted in the 8th generation.

Software innovation is mostly on the indie side of things nowadays.

innovation refers to implementing changes that improve upon and add to an existing framework... meaning that the wii u by definition was not innovative as nintendo has thrown that game console concept in the bin now and the same applies to the wii also

there seems to be a lot of people that just do not understand what "innovation" actually means

iinovation is not simply changing things for the sake of changing them as people appear to believe

'Thrown the concept into the dustbin?'  So why were wiimotes still supported throughout the Wii U's life cycle and why are the joy cons evolved the Wii concept?  For that matter, the Switch is very much an evolution of the Wii U. It's what the Wii U should have been in the first place.

Innovation involves some level of change from what came before.  It can be good or bad.  Simply evolving a concept is not innovative, otherwise games good be called innovative just for having better graphics than before.  The lock-on targeting system in Ocarina of time was innovative because it was a new solution which solved a longstanding problem.  The Wii was iinovative because it introduced a new way to play, regardless of whether that way of playing is still being used , today, which it is.

Sometimes playing it safe is all that's needed for success. PS4 offered gamers what they just wanted without peripherals unnecessarily jacking up the price. (Kinect & pseudotablets).

LurkerJ said:
Sometimes playing it safe is all that's needed for success. PS4 offered gamers what they just wanted without peripherals unnecessarily jacking up the price. (Kinect & pseudotablets).

Exactly.  There is nothing wrong with what Sony did in playing it safe.  With consoles becoming more like PCs that's the best approach for 3rd parties.

Yes, Sony is the answer

didnt you get the memo? Innovation is a trademark that only Nintendo can use.