By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Innovation and Power in one

Well, I guess soon enough, Sony wont have nor the best hardware (because scorpio) nor the best software (because nintendo, but its still debatable), but it gets all this love because it has the best balance, yes.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Sony is the maker of more successful consoles than anybody else. They're the Marvel of video games. They found the formula for success ages ago. If you need us to reaffirm your beliefs, then: Yes. Sony is awesome. They've been awesome for decades, now. That's not about to change. They have it all.

Nintendo and Microsoft are awesome in their own ways, as well. I can't wait to play Gravity Rush 2 at midnight, Resident Evil comes out in a few days and Horizon in a couple of months. Sony is king of the hill.

....but, for the forseeable future all of my excitement is directed towards the Switch!

Resident Evil is Capcom.

onionberry said:
I don't agree with the innovation part, but I agree that they have new games more often than Nintendo and MS. Remember, innovation =/= new

I think the OP doesnt mean is the best innovating, but its the best balance. Best innovating in Hardware Microsoft, best innovating in sofware, nintendo. The one with best balance between those 2, Sony.  Thats why it is were it is.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

No, not much innovation going on over there. It's logical progressions. What's after PS3, PS4 of course. What's different? More power. Not very innovative if you ask me. Say what you want about Nintendo, say they're gimmicky, but they're really the only first party console developer, that's trying to innovate. Same dualshock controller, with maybe a new addition here or there... not saying there's anything wrong with it. I've played my PS4 more than any other console I own at this time, but let's not start pretending like their focus is on innovation.

If you're innovation means power, you've missed the mark.

KLAMarine said:
d21lewis said:
Sony is the maker of more successful consoles than anybody else. They're the Marvel of video games. They found the formula for success ages ago. If you need us to reaffirm your beliefs, then: Yes. Sony is awesome. They've been awesome for decades, now. That's not about to change. They have it all.

Nintendo and Microsoft are awesome in their own ways, as well. I can't wait to play Gravity Rush 2 at midnight, Resident Evil comes out in a few days and Horizon in a couple of months. Sony is king of the hill.

....but, for the forseeable future all of my excitement is directed towards the Switch!

Resident Evil is Capcom.

I was just naming games I'm going to be adding to my PS4 library in the near future. I guess I should have made that clear. But yes, you are correct.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
So what innovation are you talking about?

I believed this was the most obvious part, but ok, here we go out the top of my head, in no order in particular:

The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, DriveClub, The Order1886, Knack, Until Dawn, Alienation, Nex Machina, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroid Become Human, Resogun, Death Stranding, Spiderman, NiOh.

And that is just the most recent ones. I may be forgetting 2 or 3 maybe.

The_BlackHeart__ said:
Alkibiádēs said:
So what innovation are you talking about?

I believed this was the most obvious part, but ok, here we go out the top of my head, in no order in particular:

The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian, DriveClub, The Order1886, Knack, Until Dawn, Alienation, Nex Machina, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroid Become Human, Resogun, Death Stranding, Spiderman, NiOh.

You're just listing games, I'm asking what did these games innovate. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Goodnightmoon said:

Sony is really innovative and deserves every bit of its success, I mean, a black box more powerful than the previous black box? That's fucking brilliant.

I wouldn't have it any other way, to be honest.  I play games, not hardware.  I want the platform to actually be a platform, not the focus.  The "lets try this gimmick next" approach can screw off, especially when all it does is provide new ways to make the same old characters jump on things.

When I buy a PC, I buy a black box that does nothing but improve upon the previous black box, which in turn provides the software room to grow and improve.

Alkibiádēs said:
The_BlackHeart__ said:

You're just listing games, I'm asking what did these games innovate. 

Gravity rush, how many games are about manipulating gravity? Its differnt that anything else I recall.

Knack, how many games have you be a monster made up of parts, and useing / lose parts to solve mini puzles ect, and fighting... its differnt.

Until dawn.... how many other games before it are like that? is it a new genre?

Horizon Zero dawn.... robot dinosaurs? monster hunter like... and yet not... its differnt.

Death Stranding? see the trailer, same with NiOh.

Sony is probably more balanced than the other two, yes.