By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Less emphasis on power, more innovation, please.

I purchased the ps4 around october of last year and the xbone in December.  In a little than 3 months apart from one another.  During that subsequent time, I had gone to my local game resller and began to purchase big AAA titles for both consoles.  I go dbz zenoverse 2, i got battlefield along with my xbone, destiny, 2k17, cod ghost, ff15, uncharted 4, titan fall and overwatch.  A lot of them at discount of course.  But now, I'm tired of them all.  I'm tired of gaming in general.  It's all borning, its just all the same.  Same as when i played them on ps3 and 360.  Talk about a gimmick that gets stale: graphics.  It's beautiful, its breathtaking, it's artistic, but it gets worn out.  I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like there's nothing new to these two powerful systems. 

Nintendo gets flack for all their touch, motion, distance measuring joy cons.  But, at least they're trying.  Yes, they're not very popular, but they're trying something new.  The price for icicle jingling is high, but that's an attempt at something that may come.  There is looming the danger of consoles fading and personally, I don't want that.  I like consoles.  I have pc and all other consoles except of course the Switch, but there is something about a console that I can't imagine living without.  But the thing is, no one else is trying to push the envelope on where games are going.  VR isn't new, Vr has been a thing since the 90's, and I will admit that it's getting better, but that's because it's a natural progression in gaming.  So, come on, let's move towards the future of gaming and ever closer to the Star Trek holodeck.  Sitting on the couch is fine, but imagine using your neural patterns someday to move your games.  It may not come soon, but before I die, I would at least get to that point in gaming. 

Around the Network

Less emphasis on AAA and more buying indies please.
You buy the same games and then complain about them being the same.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

See I don't mind Nintendo's touch, motion, distance measuring joy con and I havn't complained about those much at all apart from possibly increasing the price. What I got issues with is how they are treating their online system.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

vivster said:

i buy them on steam.  guess i should of added that part.  but again, just the same.  THe only thing that's constant is leagues.  Just because it's right where I sit next to my desk.  But i get it, another quip from vivster.

Duh, buy AAA titles on console.

It's not just Nintendo who's trying. But the really new experiences are usually far in-between each other.

Nintendo is as guilty of producing safe games/experiences as most other developers. They do innovate with certain titles, like Splatoon, but they also play it safe with games like Mario Kart and Fire Emblem. The same goes for Sony, for example. Last Guardian innovated, for better or worse, but then you have Uncharted 4 that played it safe with a formula that's loved by the fans. Nintendo does the same. They give what their users love, and throw in a nice innovative title that's unlike most other games every now and then. The key is to keep things balanced between providing what the users want, and taking a risk now and then to hopefully create an innovative hit. If you take too much risks and disregard what your fans are asking for, get ready for an endless stream of complaints.

Around the Network
Ouroboros24 said:
vivster said:

i buy them on steam.  guess i should of added that part.  but again, just the same.  THe only thing that's constant is leagues.  Just because it's right where I sit next to my desk.  But i get it, another quip from vivster.

What does steam have to do with anything. You simply do not look hard enough for good games. There are some great indie games out there. Graphics are not the issue here. Just you hating on AAA games and praising god almighty Nintendo with the "innovation" buzzword that has lost all meaning by now.

There are great games on all platforms. Blaming just a single aspect of gaming for something that is completely unrelated is just lazy.

Blaming graphics or even worse, the power of the platform they're on, for boring games is just narrow minded and completely beside the point.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I dont care for neither of them. Motion control and gimmicks annoy me, but power alone is no guarantee for anything. A 2d with a classic style platform game - such as Shovel Knight - can be awesome. What matter, for me at least, its content. Complete games with rich content.

Yeah graphics in terms of realism stopped impresing me a decade ago. I like style. I had more fun last night with a 240P game in MUSHA. I like how Nintendo is always surprising us. I don't always agree with them but it's never dull with them.It's what I miss about SEGA. They were almost as innovative for hardware but in a different way. I like style I like something different I like original ideas.I like when Video Games don't try to be a film and try to be what they are,a video game. I have a PS4 and many games but none of them have Of Us or Uncharted in the name nor Killzone. Not a big supporter of AAA games. It's rare that I do. (by AAA I mean mega budget games) I do on occasion

It's a pretty acrimonious debate at times, I suppose. With all the different camps on the issue and the breadth that can be seen, I think it's fair to say that some balance needs to be struck between innovation of I/O devices, refinement of existing gameplay mechanics and advancment of graphics. Each to their own, I suppose. I more lean towards the "innovation" side of things, as you do too. For me, I can play GameCube games and be totally satisfied with those visuals =p

XB1/PS4 still has great games too, given that it focuses its blend on visuals and refining existing gameplay mechanics in many genres. I bought a PS4 a few months ago and have been very happy with it too, overall.

vivster said:
Ouroboros24 said:

What does steam have to do with anything. You simply do not look hard enough for good games. There are some great indie games out there. Graphics are not the issue here. Just you hating on AAA games and praising god almighty Nintendo with the "innovation" buzzword that has lost all meaning by now.

There are great games on all platforms. Blaming just a single aspect of gaming for something that is completely unrelated is just lazy.

What does steam have to do with anything.

I buy indies on steam, which to me is the best way to play indies, while AAA titles are for consoles because why buy consoles if not for the AAA.  And I'm not hating, simply telling you how I feel about them.  It's a past time.  I will continue to buy AAA because that's what I do.  I play them for a good 4-5 hrs then I'm bored.   And I didn't say graphics was terrible, just that it's a gimmick as any other selling point of a game. 

As for good indies, or games in general, name one that's going to give me the same feeling I've gotten when I first played Super Mario Bros., or OOT(my first Zelda), or Metal Gear, or even Final fantasy 7.  Not hating on anything, simply asking for an innovative experience that has the power to immerse me as when I played those games for the first time.  Just asking for innovation that gets my blood going. 

As for Nintendo, that's just an example of innovation of recently. Nintendo almighty is just something you tacked on.

BTW, you get offensive really quick.