By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Microsoft doesn't reveal hardware numbers.

Insidb said:
Spencer is one slick MFer.

Spencer engages in incest confirmed!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Qwark said:
Is it really that bad though if the Switch would sell 8-10 million units a year 50% of Vgchartz would point out the Switch is a success. Sure the PS4 is doing insane numbers, but the Xbox 360 didn't sell bad because the WII pulverized everything.

Selling ~14M-15M more than the competition, especially when 2nd is at 86M+, isn't exactly pulverizing.  If PS4 only ends up that far ahead of the XBO, which it won't, it definitely didn't pulverize it.

axumblade said:

As a person who bought Haze the day it came out, I agree with the sentiment...

As a person who actually enjoyed Haze, I strongly disagree. Which really proves the main point. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean others won't. People just need to stop making poor excuses for MS. They're obviously spending less on Xbox. It's just that simple. They didn't want to anymore money for developing a game that may have needed another 6 months to a year to polish.

The first years the Wii outsold the Xbox 360 by a huge margin even bigger than the difference between PS4 and Xone today. All I am saying it is selling pretty decently and will probably make the 50 million mark. I would call that a (somewhat) succesfull console.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Zkuq said:
NATO said:

the thread is specifically about hardware numbers, hardware numbers gives a good indication of an install base, active or otherwise.

Just because a (going off of his example), console is sat in someones cupboard unused, doesn't mean the owner won't take it out and play on it if the right game comes along.

This thread is about why Microsoft doesn't tell its hardware numbers, and that includes another side to the coin. And sure, what you said can happen - and then the owner shows up in the monthly active user base that Microsoft seems to care more about. And then they disappear again once the game that activated them isn't new anymore. Monthly active users gives a better indication of the general vitality of a console. And just to clear this up: I don't think hardware numbers aren't important because obviously they are, but I just don't think they're a very good indicator either.

So then do you know the number of monthly active users on Xbox? What's it at? I'm pretty sure that even with MAU they've been vague, instead saying how it improved % wise over the year before with no actual figures for how many MAU to draw from. My memory is honestly a little fuzzy though. So do you know?

...but i would like to know the number of consoles in closets!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

For a stupid reason...

Closest competitor ( in home console market, not overall ) having sold way more than you, but why hiding sales xb1 that might be way lower than ps4 but they're good in general...

Just to avoid the denigration from people obsessed with console wars? Perhaps wounded pride?

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:
Zkuq said:

This thread is about why Microsoft doesn't tell its hardware numbers, and that includes another side to the coin. And sure, what you said can happen - and then the owner shows up in the monthly active user base that Microsoft seems to care more about. And then they disappear again once the game that activated them isn't new anymore. Monthly active users gives a better indication of the general vitality of a console. And just to clear this up: I don't think hardware numbers aren't important because obviously they are, but I just don't think they're a very good indicator either.

So then do you know the number of monthly active users on Xbox? What's it at? I'm pretty sure that even with MAU they've been vague, instead saying how it improved % wise over the year before with no actual figures for how many MAU to draw from. My memory is honestly a little fuzzy though. So do you know?

I have no idea, I haven't been following the situation because I don't particularly care about the details. I'm sure the numbers are healthy, but they should be far from Sony's.

Zkuq said:
aLkaLiNE said:

I have no idea, I haven't been following the situation because I don't particularly care about the details. I'm sure the numbers are healthy, but they should be far from Sony's.

It just dawned on me that this thread has made it this far with people defending the lack of numbers in favor of MAU and we don't even know the MAU.

Phil Spencer's good. He's real fucking good.

Wait, they were at 48 million by January of 2016

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mspoweruser.com/microsofts-xbox-live-now-has-48-million-active-users/amp/?client=safari

And 47 million by October of 2016. I wonder how it's changed since then.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg247.com/2016/10/20/microsoft-q1-2017-gaming-revenue-declined-5-xbox-live-down-2m-over-last-quarter/amp/?client=safari

barneystinson69 said:

Sorry, but this is BS. If Xbox was doing better than PlayStation, they'd probably release numbers all the time.

Maybe...Phil Spencer ist not Don Mattrick?... 

LivingMetal said:
Insidb said:
Spencer is one slick MFer.

Spencer engages in incest confirmed!

That's not necessarily true lol.

BraLoD said:
Insidb said:

That's not necessarily true lol.

Dem MILFs...

Up top!