By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Horizon and Zelda... a week apart? Will BOTW be overshadowed by the new Sony IP.

I will be playing...

Both Horizon: ZD and BOTW. 114 10.18%

Just Horizon. 290 25.89%

Just BOTW. 520 46.43%

I'm going to wait to see... 33 2.95%

BOTW first then Horizon. 120 10.71%

Horizon first then BOTW. 43 3.84%

Total:1,120

I think Zelda will sell like pancakes for sure. But horizon will sell more.
Think of this scenario for a moment:
Lets say Zelda will sell 1 game for every Switch and WiiU out there. If Horizon manages to sell 1 for every 2 PS4, Horizon, is still a higher number than zelda, and it was just because the Console User base of PS4 being bigger.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
Hynad said:

It's not the first. The Fable series and especially Darksiders 2 are a lot similar to Zelda in many respects. 

Those games are as open as twilight princess. First, fable doesn't have  a lot of puzzles elements or items and the gameplay and movements are clunky as hell, plus you need to do stuff in order. Second, Darksiders is a perfect homage to the OLD zelda formula, you have to do stuff in a certain order and the world is not open, just like old zelda, you need to to play the game linear, fun dungeons tho. Plus those games are not seamless, just sections like twilight princess. Really, breath of the wild is the first. Mention another OPEN world game with the zelda formula, we don't have that.

I can assure you that there will be linear progression and "order to do things" in the new Zelda as well.

Items will unlock in certain order, that will allow you to progress through more areas that were up to that point unaccessible. Heck, the stamina gauge for when you glimb... Don't be surprised if certain items you get later in the game end up increasing Link's stamina, allowing you to get on top summits that were unreachable until that point.

Add to that the fact that there's an obvious focus on an emotional story, and you can be sure the game won't be as free as you think it will.

onionberry said:

I don't see it. In the graphics department of course. But I think zelda will have better gaming mechanics and better design overall.

When I see Horizon, I see shadow of mordor X the witcher 3, not bad at all, an amazing mix. But, zelda's gameplay design x skyrim sounds like a better experience, we are talking about a lot of puzzles and a lot of items with different mechanics that can open a lot of possibilities, and horizon will have the normal western rpg formula of go there and do that to continue to the next quest.

Again, not bad, but the horizon experience is not a new experience for the genre, while the zelda experience is different for the typical western open world genre. Zelda is not doing something revolutionary or new as far as I can see, but because we never had a game that mix the western rpg genre with the zelda formula.

The story? hmmm we will see about that, zelda has a richer lore and universe but maybe horizon surprises with an amazing narrative.

Both are going to have great sales, hopefully playstation fans support this one!

Well said, OB. That pretty much sums up the way I feel about both of them. Me personally, I'm more excited for Zelda. The gameplay, story, and the lovely ear-gasm of a OST has me waiting in anticipation. Horizon looks fun and ambitious as well. I'll be getting both, but once Zelda comes out on the 3rd...NOTHING else will be played but that game.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

I actually feel like neither one is going to negatively affect the other, and both will sell well, with perhaps Horizon selling more due to it's larger install base compared to the Switch's launch.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

John2290 said:
onionberry said:

No no... I'm saying that zelda is not doing something new as far as I can see, but it's NEW because this is the first western open world game with the zelda formula. That opens a lot of possibilities for the genre.

We don't exactly know if BOTW will follow the Ocarina furmula tightly, It may pull a final fantasy/Mgs5 and go open world at expense to the core mechanics that made the OoT furmula so great. Either way, Horizon Zero dawn is a MUCH freasher and "new" take on many genres not just the RPG side of things.

well if the shrines are a hint, it's the zelda formula with items and puzzles X open world and missions. I'm not conviced with horizon about how fresh it is. Mainly because all the footage screams western open world game where you do quests and side quests. Not trying to diminish the genre or the game, because it's my favorite genre, I'm just saying why zelda could be more impactful with its gameplay design.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
onionberry said:

Those games are as open as twilight princess. First, fable doesn't have  a lot of puzzles elements or items and the gameplay and movements are clunky as hell, plus you need to do stuff in order. Second, Darksiders is a perfect homage to the OLD zelda formula, you have to do stuff in a certain order and the world is not open, just like old zelda, you need to to play the game linear, fun dungeons tho. Plus those games are not seamless, just sections like twilight princess. Really, breath of the wild is the first. Mention another OPEN world game with the zelda formula, we don't have that.

I can assure you that there will be linear progression and "order to do things" in the new Zelda as well.

Items will unlock in certain order, that will allow you to progress through more areas that were up to that point unaccessible. Heck, the stamina gauge for when you glimb... Don't be surprised if certain items you get later in the game end up increasing Link's stamina, allowing you to get on top summits that were unreachable until that point.

Add to that the fact that there's an obvious focus on an emotional story, and you can be sure the game won't be as free as you think it will.

Aonuma said that you can finish the game without the story, that's open to me. 

onionberry said:
Hynad said:

It's not the first. The Fable series and especially Darksiders 2 are a lot similar to Zelda in many respects. 

I absolutely don't mean this as a dig, and I apologize if it comes off that way. But this mentality is why Zelda is going to score so well no matter what.

Zelda basically is only going to be compared to older Zelda games. It could do 80% of what other modern open world games do, and as long as it had a pretty artstyle, good music, and the Zelda name, it pretty much HAS to score a 90 or above.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

onionberry said:
Hynad said:

Aonuma said that you can finish the game without the story, that's open to me. 

When and where did he say that? And are we sure it wasn't yet an other stupid mistranslation?

Link please.

Normchacho said:
onionberry said:

I absolutely don't mean this as a dig, and I apologize if it comes off that way. But this mentality is why Zelda is going to score so well no matter what.

Zelda basically is only going to be compared to older Zelda games. It could do 80% of what other modern open world games do, and as long as it had a pretty artstyle, good music, and the Zelda name, it pretty much HAS to score a 90 or above.

To be fair though, the game does look phenomenal. =P

Normchacho said:
onionberry said:

also the gameplay design, it's fantastic in my opinion and that's why people play the games.