By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Jimquisition on Nintendo Switch [Brace yourself]

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Hynad said:

It's made better than the Dualshock 4? 

The tech in the Joy-Con is nice and all, but there's no denying their price is freaking high. All the accessories for the Switch are overpriced if we go by industry standard. And instead of including an empty plastic shell for the Joy-Cons, they should have included the charging version. Nintendo is nickle and diming people heavily, and it's quite frustrating. I don't mind the console's price that much. At 300, it's at the higher end of what's reasonable. But the rest of the pricinf hasn't been handled very well if Nintendo really wants to gain back its relevance on the home console front. Especially considering the audience they're catering to.

Nope. The Pro Controller is not overpriced, it doesn't have the shitty Bumpers of the Xbox One, it has better gimmicks than the dualshock 4 controller, and it isn't mass produced like the Dualschock which is literally in every PS4 console package.  The PS4 controller is cheaper because A : It's a worse controller, B : It's tech isn't as impressive C: It has been out for more than 3 years D : If they priced it higher no one could replace their PS4 controller. The Pro controller is a luxury by comparison, it's not meant to replace the Joyconz and is not the systems main controller. It has better technology, it's better built, and it's 10$ more than the PS4 controller when it first came out. I don't really think that's unreasonable.  The other accessories? Definitely. 

Oh my... -___-

Let's say you're right and they're "not overpriced" and everything that's not Switch related is shit because... you say so. I will disagree with you anyway, because here in Canada, the Pro Controller costs 90 freaking bucks before taxes. But let's talk about The Joy-Con controllers, the system's main controller: The pack of two costs $100CAD before taxes. That's quite a bit more than what a game costs here. And if you only need one of those, it sells for $65CAD before taxes. That's all very high prices for official standard pieces of peripherals, no matter how you may try to convince youself.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

Nope. The Pro Controller is not overpriced, it doesn't have the shitty Bumpers of the Xbox One, it has better gimmicks than the dualshock 4 controller, and it isn't mass produced like the Dualschock which is literally in every PS4 console package.  The PS4 controller is cheaper because A : It's a worse controller, B : It's tech isn't as impressive C: It has been out for more than 3 years D : If they priced it higher no one could replace their PS4 controller. The Pro controller is a luxury by comparison, it's not meant to replace the Joyconz and is not the systems main controller. It has better technology, it's better built, and it's 10$ more than the PS4 controller when it first came out. I don't really think that's unreasonable.  The other accessories? Definitely. 

Oh my... -___-

Let's say you're right and they're "not overpriced" and everything that's not Switch related is shit because... you say so. I will disagree with you anyway, because here in Canada, the Pro Controller costs 90 freaking bucks before taxes. But let's talk about The Joy-Con controllers, the system's main controller: The pack of two costs $100CAD before taxes. That's quite a bit more than what a game costs here. And if you only need one of those, it sells for $65CAD before taxes. That's all very high prices for official standard pieces of peripherals, no matter how you may try to convince youself.

"Oh my" doesn't really belong here. I'm hardly a fan of Nintendo, I just look at accessories on a case by case buisness. Quite frankily I don't think everything that isn't Switch is shit and it isn't because I say so. Stop trying to de-legitimize what i'm saying by trying to make it look like fanboy arguments. Slap yourself in the face and get real. I have a PS4 and I love it. The controller lasts 6 hours at most. That's terrible. By comparison, The Nintendo Switch console lasts 6 hours at most when taken out of the dock. The PS4 control runs as long as the entire Switch handheld unit. Grasp that for a second. Obviously that's not 100% true but that comparison highlights how terrible the PS4 controller's battery is. The controller also is really really cheap, my thumbstick's skin has been coming off since owning it for 3 months, and i hardly play the damn system. Also, the actual face of the controller is starting to come off near the right handle. I don't care about your canadian price either because i'm not canadian. It's not fair to expect me to know if it's overpriced in other countries or not. Did I specifically say "The pro controller is fairly priced in canada"(a country that already has a bunch of overpriced products)? Nope. I wouldn't know, I don't live there. 

Yep, the Joy Con  controllers are a rip off. Tell me something I don't know.

Hynad said:

Oh my... -___-

"Oh my" doesn't really belong here. I'm hardly a fan of Nintendo, I just look at accessories on a case by case buisness. Quite frankily I don't think everything that isn't Switch is shit and it isn't because I say so. Stop trying to de-legitimize what i'm saying by trying to make it look like fanboy arguments. Slap yourself in the face and get real. I have a PS4 and I love it. The controller lasts 6 hours at most. That's terrible. By comparison, The Nintendo Switch console lasts 6 hours at most when taken out of the dock. The PS4 control runs as long as the entire Switch handheld unit. Grasp that for a second. Obviously that's not 100% true but that comparison highlights how terrible the PS4 controller's battery is. The controller also is really really cheap, my thumbstick's skin has been coming off since owning it for 3 months, and i hardly play the damn system. Also, the actual face of the controller is starting to come off near the right handle. I don't care about your canadian price either because i'm not canadian. It's not fair to expect me to know if it's overpriced in other countries or not. Did I specifically say "The pro controller is fairly priced in canada"(a country that already has a bunch of overpriced products)? Nope. I wouldn't know, I don't live there. 

I've had my dualshock 4 for much longer than 3 months (almost 2 years) and it's still good as new. And I use it almost everyday. So I'll take what you just wrote with a grain of salt. As for the "canadian prices", the differences in price for everything Switch related is pretty much proportional with the USD prices. What you should wrap your head around is that controllers for the switch cost more than games. 

Well as always with consoles there is enough valid criticism to go around. And as always it won't change a thing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hynad said:

I've had my dualshock 4 for much longer than 3 months (almost 2 years) and it's still good as new. And I use it almost everyday. So I'll take what you just wrote with a grain of salt. As for the "canadian prices", the differences in price for everything Switch related is pretty much proportinal with the USD prices. What you should wrap your head around is that controllers for the switch cost more than games. 

Ive had mine since december 2013. what i was reffering to is tgat after 3 months there was already major ware and tear despite barely using the system. someone else in this thread said they had to buy multiple PS2 controllers and that they just used the same Gamecube controller for 14 years. Lets be honest, Sony is known for cheap controllers. 

Also nice how you completely ignored my point on the battery life. What you should wrap your head around(triggered much?) is that the ps4 controller is too. It sells for 48$ regular and 52-54$ for colored variants. And it is just a standard controller. Is that not more than a game? The Pro controller might be 70$ but it will last longer, has better gyro controls, has hd rumble, is bigger, and is a side accessory, its not being manufactured fir every switch therefore it has different supply and demand pricing. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
vivster said:
Well as always with consoles there is enough valid criticism to go around. And as always it won't change a thing.

That's why companies foster console wars. You can do what you want and at the end of the day you can say: "Hey, at least we aren't Microsoft." Then everyone agrees and is happy to get ripped off because it could always be worse.

Nintendo's prices for accessories are pretty okay when you consider what Sony is throwing at their customers: A $400 headset for their home console and proprietary super-expensive memory cards for their handheld.

That's the second time I see you ride on that horse within 5 minutes. Change horses, dude. Some people might start thinking you're trying to deflect.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hynad said:

I've had my dualshock 4 for much longer than 3 months (almost 2 years) and it's still good as new. And I use it almost everyday. So I'll take what you just wrote with a grain of salt. As for the "canadian prices", the differences in price for everything Switch related is pretty much proportinal with the USD prices. What you should wrap your head around is that controllers for the switch cost more than games. 

Ive had mine since december 2013. what i was reffering to is tgat after 3 months there was already major ware and tear despite barely using the system. someone else in this thread said they had to buy multiple PS2 controllers and that they just used the same Gamecube controller for 14 years. Lets be honest, Sony is known for cheap controllers. 

Also nice how you completely ignored my point on the battery life. What you should wrap your head around(triggered much?) is that the ps4 controller is too. It sells for 48$ regular and 52-54$ for colored variants. And it is just a standard controller. Is that not more than a game? The Pro controller might be 70$ but it will last longer, has better gyro controls, has hd rumble, is bigger, and is a side accessory, its not being manufactured fir every switch therefore it has different supply and demand pricing. 

PS4 controllers sell for a little less than what a brand new game costs. The battery life you speak of is indeed pretty bad for the DS4, and has always been. No denying it. That being said, Sony isn't selling a basic plastic dongle for a premium to allow you to charge your controller while playing. You can use any regular android phone charger, and of course, it came packed in with the PS4. With the Switch, you have to attach the Joy-Con to the Switch to charge them, meaning you can play on the TV while doing so. If you want to play on the TV while charging your controller, you need to buy an overpriced piece of plastic that should have been bundled with the console in the first place. Instead, they're including a plastic shell that doesn't even has a charging plug. It's actually a little insulting how much they're not even trying to hide their nickle and diming ways.

Hynad said:

PS4 controllers sell for a little less than what a brand new game costs. The battery life you speak of is indeed pretty bad for the DS4, and has always been. No denying it. That being said, Sony isn't selling a basic plastic dongle for a premium to allow you to charge your controller while playing. You can use any regular android phone charger, and of course, it came packed in with the PS4. With the Switch, you have to attach the Joy-Con to the Switch to charge them, meaning you can play on the TV while doing so. 

So now you're just changing the subject because you were wrong? Ok, I think we're done here. Point is, the Pro controller is fairly priced. Other accessories, not. Would I prefer a 60$ price? Sure. But it's only around 15$ more than a white ps4 controller. 

Hynad said:

PS4 controllers sell for a little less than what a brand new game costs. The battery life you speak of is indeed pretty bad for the DS4, and has always been. No denying it. That being said, Sony isn't selling a basic plastic dongle for a premium to allow you to charge your controller while playing. You can use any regular android phone charger, and of course, it came packed in with the PS4. With the Switch, you have to attach the Joy-Con to the Switch to charge them, meaning you can play on the TV while doing so. 

So now you're just changing the subject because you were wrong? Ok, I think we're done here. Point is, the Pro controller is fairly priced. Other accessories, not. Would I prefer a 60$ price? Sure. But it's only around 15$ more than a white ps4 controller. 

I'm not changing subject. The subject is how Nintendo is overpricing everything related to Switch. You think the Pro Controller is godly and has incredible tech that justify its cost. I don't agree. After a few exchanges with you, it's obvious that no amount of argumentation will make you see otherwise. Fact remains: The Pro Controller is overpriced by industry standard. That's what I said, and there's no denying that. Now, if you think the Pro Controller has better everything than anything else on the market, good for you. We both don't know how much the components included cost, how much the entire controllers cost to manufacture, etc. My stand remains that it is expensive for a controller, and it's only one of the many peripherals that's priced quite high made for a system that is supposed to help Nintendo get back on track. With prices like that, Nintendo is already positioning itself for an uphill battle.

And "only 15$ more than a white controller"? That's "only" a third of the price.

But you know what they say: let's just agree to disagree.

Hynad said:

I'm not changing subject. The subject is how Nintendo is overpricing everything related to Switch. You think the Pro Controller is godly and has incredible tech that justify its cost. I don't agree. After a few exchanges with you, it's obvious that no amount of argumentation will make you see otherwise. Fact remains: The Pro Controller is overpriced by industry standard. That's what I said, and there's no denying that. Now, if you think the Pro Controller has better everything than anything else on the market, good for you. We both don't know how much the components included cost, how much the entire controllers cost to manufacture, etc. My stand remains that it is expensive for a controller, and it's only one of the many peripherals that's priced quite high made for a system that is supposed to help Nintendo get back on track. With prices like that, Nintendo is already positioning itself for an uphill battle.

But you know what they say: let's just agree to disagree.

No. You can't do that. Stop with this "You are a fanboy and nothing gets through to you crap". Just because I'm adamant in my opinion doesn't mean it's unchangable. I have almost no experience with Nintendo. To be frank, my experience with them  is the Wii U and I almost feel ripped off from that system. I am a consumer though and i understand basic logic. It's not mass manufactured like  the DS4. It has a better battery than the ds4. It's going to be more durable than a ps4(just like every nintendo product compared to a sony product). It's going to have bigger buttons and be a beefier controller than the ps4. It has HD rumble, something the ps4 doesn't. It also has better gyro controls that will ACTUALLY be used in the game, unlike most of DS4's gimmicks. Why should I feel ripped off because it's priced for around 15$ more dollars? Because you are pissed off? It isn't a "standard" controller though. It isn't mass produced. It has better features than the xbox one or ps4 controller. So why judge it on the "industry standard". What is that? a 6 hour battery life?  

one thing I will say, the xbox one controller is sexy . I also think that the ps4 controller is the best this gen, if it had better button placement and a longer battery. Once the pro comes out, that will be the best too. 

And doing the whole "I'm basically calling you an illogical fanboy who's incapable of changing opinions but let's agree to disagree" doesn't help either. Change my opinion with better arguments. You haven't justified to me why a controller that aims for better everything than the ps4 controller with a battery life that is almost 7x better is worse.