By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Jimquisition on Nintendo Switch [Brace yourself]

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
BeatdownBrigade said:

Not sure the pro controller is reasonably priced at $70. I can buy a Dualshock 4 right now for $48 on Amazon, and so far there is no indication the pro controller is even as technical as a Dualshock 4.

The base price for the Dualshock 4 is 60-65$. It's just down to 48$ because the Playstation 4 has been around for years and they now have color variants to sell at higher prices(Yes, a different color is worth 5-7$ more). and not as "technical"? This is like the farthest stretch you could ever make. Just because the Switch isn't as powerful as the PS4 doesn't mean we should just assume the Pro controller might not be as "technical" as the PS4 controller. The PS4 controller comes with a useless light, a small speaker no one uses, and a 6 hour battery life. The Pro Controller comes with gyro controls, HD rumble, and has a 40 hour battery life, plus it's made better than the Dualschock 4. 

If there's one thing I commend Nintendo on, is that they really make solid, sturdy products. I went through a few PS2 controllers that eventually broke after several months or so while I still can use my GameCube controller after 14 years or so.

Around the Network
BeatdownBrigade said:

Not sure the pro controller is reasonably priced at $70. I can buy a Dualshock 4 right now for $48 on Amazon, and so far there is no indication the pro controller is even as technical as a Dualshock 4.

The base price for the Dualshock 4 is 60-65$. It's just down to 48$ because the Playstation 4 has been around for years and they now have color variants to sell at higher prices(Yes, a different color is worth 5-7$ more). and not as "technical"? This is like the farthest stretch you could ever make. Just because the Switch isn't as powerful as the PS4 doesn't mean we should just assume the Pro controller might not be as "technical" as the PS4 controller. The PS4 controller comes with a useless light, a small speaker no one uses, and a 6 hour battery life. The Pro Controller comes with gyro controls, HD rumble, and has a 40 hour battery life, plus it's made better than the Dualschock 4. 

It's made better than the Dualshock 4? 

The tech in the Joy-Con is nice and all, but there's no denying their price is freaking high. All the accessories for the Switch are overpriced if we go by industry standard. And instead of including an empty plastic shell for the Joy-Cons, they should have included the charging version. Nintendo is nickle and diming people heavily, and it's quite frustrating. I don't mind the console's price that much. At 300, it's at the higher end of what's reasonable. But the rest of the pricing hasn't been handled very well if Nintendo really wants to gain back its relevance on the home console front. Especially considering the audience they're catering to.

As it stands, they're positioning the Switch as a premium piece of tech. Which it very well might be, all things considered. But the audience for such premium products is usually modest.

tag

BeatdownBrigade said:

I never assumed it was def not as technical as the Dualshock 4, I am implying that at this current date we have no clue if it is or is not. Nor do we know if its "made better" or whatever the heck that is supposed to mean that you made up. The "useless light" has a purpose and is a technical aspect of the Dualshock 4. The speaker is a technical aspect of the Dualshock 4. The DS4 also has gyro controls and accelerometers and all that stuff as packed into the Pro controller. Nobody really knows yet the potential of the HD rumble and if its worth the cost compared to rumble features in other controllers. They highlighted its features in the joycons but was not done so for the pro controller. So still so far to date not seeing what in the controller is making it $70 and justifying that cost.

Hynad said:

It's made better than the Dualshock 4? 

The tech in the Joy-Con is nice and all, but there's no denying their price is freaking high. All the accessories for the Switch are overpriced if we go by industry standard. And instead of including an empty plastic shell for the Joy-Cons, they should have included the charging version. Nintendo is nickle and diming people heavily, and it's quite frustrating. I don't mind the console's price that much. At 300, it's at the higher end of what's reasonable. But the rest of the pricinf hasn't been handled very well if Nintendo really wants to gain back its relevance on the home console front. Especially considering the audience they're catering to.

Nope. The Pro Controller is not overpriced, it doesn't have the shitty Bumpers of the Xbox One, it has better gimmicks than the dualshock 4 controller, and it isn't mass produced like the Dualschock which is literally in every PS4 console package.  The PS4 controller is cheaper because A : It's a worse controller, B : It's tech isn't as impressive C: It has been out for more than 3 years D : If they priced it higher no one could replace their PS4 controller. The Pro controller is a luxury by comparison, it's not meant to replace the Joyconz and is not the systems main controller. It has better technology, it's better built, and it's 10$ more than the PS4 controller when it first came out. I don't really think that's unreasonable.  The other accessories? Definitely. 

Around the Network
BeatdownBrigade said:

I never assumed it was def not as technical as the Dualshock 4, I am implying that at this current date we have no clue if it is or is not. Nor do we know if its "made better" or whatever the heck that is supposed to mean that you made up. The "useless light" has a purpose and is a technical aspect of the Dualshock 4. The speaker is a technical aspect of the Dualshock 4. The DS4 also has gyro controls and accelerometers and all that stuff as packed into the Pro controller. Nobody really knows yet the potential of the HD rumble and if its worth the cost compared to rumble features in other controllers. They highlighted its features in the joycons but was not done so for the pro controller. So still so far to date not seeing what in the controller is making it $70 and justifying that cost.

Ya and the gyro and acceleromaters suck. Have you ever used them? Innacurate as hell. And unlike PS4 games, Nintendo actually uses the gyro in their games(Splatoon). The light is useless, the battery is terrible, the speaker is bad. The technical aspects of the Pro controller are much more impressive because the gyro will actually be much better and will probably get used much more. The HD Rumble...I've heard 90% positive things about it, but some say it's not that great. And I highly doubt it's worse built than the PS4. The PS4 controller is terribly made, the skin on my thumbsticks started pealing off after owning it for 3 months. The Wii U Pro controller was made better(at least where it counts).

John2290 said:

The PS4 controller also has these as well as an accelerometer while that "useless light" provides tracking for VR, capacitve track pad, proven and perfected design over 21 years for a price tag of 50 euro of FREE bundeled with the console....in contrast to the 70-75 euro price tag for the additional, non bundled pro controller.

Also, The speaker is used in a lot of games and who are you to decide if "no one" uses it or not?

Already addressed this like 2 times, I don't need 3 replies to one comment defending t he majestic 6 hour Cheapschock 4 controller. Also, who the fuck uses the speaker? I've had it on on my ps4 the entire time, never turned it off. I've only heard it in Resogun. 

So wait a minute....the light in the PS4 controller is usefull because it's tracked in PSVR??? Don't I have to buy a 400$ VR set to use that feature? That's terrible especially compared to the Wii's sensor which you can use in multiple titles.

So what I gathered from this conversation is the controller you don't own and have not used is clearly superior to a well regarded controller on the market already. A controller that has all the same features and more features while being cheaper than this controller you say is better. Your reasoning for justifying the cost is that Nintendo will use things like gyro more so somehow that makes paying for the same components alright. We will wait for the controller tear downs and I'm not gonna be surprised when the pro controller is the same or even cheaper to produce.

Nautilus said:
I agree with him on a number of points.But if the recent leak(the one that developer said about the Switch) is true, moist of his complains are fixed.Hopefully its true.

Jaaaaa? What leak is this? I can't keep up. I'm still wrestling with the reality that voice chat needs a smartphone app to function.
As far as the video is concerned...I'm a modrate fan of his. Not enough to sub. I'm with him in most of his sentiments. And again, just the voice chat thing. Pretty lame.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."