By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SuperData: 55m PS4s, 26m Xbones & 15m Wii Us sold

Intrinsic said:
jason1637 said:

Wouldnt it make more sense to round to 53.4m or 54m? 

Thats one way to look at it, but then it makes more sense rounding 53.4 up to 55M than rounding it down to say 50M if dealing with half of tens. Then again, then they should have rounded the XB1 down from 26M to 25M and say sold a little over 25M

barneystinson69 said:

The XB1 was selling nil in Japan, so the difference is minimal. But the US makes up over 50% of sales, and I'm pretty sure it was also up in the UK as well, which makes up almost 1/2 of all European sales. Unless sales dropped 50% in mainland Europe, I don't see the XB1 doing only 7 million this year vs 8.6 million last year.

We only know about XB1 being up YOY for NA... and more specifically for the last 6 months of 2016. And even with that it didn't do well enough to outsell the PS4 in NA for the entire year. And you are also citing isolated incidents. Yes for a month or two or three it could have been up in the UK and even in NA, doesn't mean that all those other months that MS doesn't shout from the rooftops when it was down YOY it wasnt down by such an amount that overall it could be down YOY globally.

Whatever the case though, we can't know for certain. There is legitimacy to your assumptions as there is to mine. I am just going off the fact that MS has had a history so far this gen of touting every little success as much as they can... if MS were up YOY worldwide, trust me they would have said it.

Who knows. Last time we heard numbers from MS was 2014. I'm just basing what I think is true about sakles figures for the console. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:

Who knows. Last time we heard numbers from MS was 2014. I'm just basing what I think is true about sakles figures for the console. 

Yes, but your whole argument hinges on the XB1 being up YOY in the US.

The problem with that is that we only know it to be up YOY in the US when looking at only the last 6 months of the year. MS never said it was up YOY in the US for the whole of 2016. And if they were they would have said it when making their most recent NPD announcement for december instead of just saying they were up YOY in the lasyt 6 months.

In all honesty, its actually a lot worse than how I am putting tif we were to be analytrical.

MS PR statement for December talked about YOY growth but only for the month of deember. Then they went on to say they were the best selling console for the last 6 months of 2016. With all that, would you  think they wouldn't have also mentioned that they had YOY growth for NA in 2016 if they were able to accomplish that? And if they are down YOY in their one major territory, how do you think it is everywhere else?

Intrinsic said:
barneystinson69 said:

The problem with that is that we only know it to be up YOY in the US when looking at only the last 6 months of the year. MS never said it was up YOY in the US for the whole of 2016. And if they were they would have said it when making their most recent NPD announcement for december instead of just saying they were up YOY in the lasyt 6 months.

In all honesty, its actually a lot worse than how I am putting tif we were to be analytrical.

MS PR statement for December talked about YOY growth but only for the month of deember. Then they went on to say they were the best selling console for the last 6 months of 2016. With all that, would you  think they wouldn't have also mentioned that they had YOY growth for NA in 2016 if they were able to accomplish that? And if they are down YOY in their one major territory, how do you think it is everywhere else?

If thats the case, I could see your point. But being up YOY in the holidays, and having new HW shouldnt result in a down year. Guess all we have is vgchartz.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

If thats the case, I could see your point. But being up YOY in the holidays, and having new HW shouldnt result in a down year. Guess all we have is vgchartz.

No... we have MS. They have always had a habit of blowing their own horn. When they win anywhere, they are always sure to make everyone know. We are talking about a company that talks about Most Active Users in their NPD repors for crying out loud. Every single time they had been up YOY in any territory they have been sure to annouce it and talk it up.

If they were up YOY for the whole of 2016, they would waste their time talking about being up for december or having the best sales in the last half of 2016.... they would have just said they were up YOY for 2016.

Them not saying anything is actually the best confirmation we have of them not being up, more evident whn you consider the other kinda PR announcements they make.

barneystinson69 said:
Intrinsic said:

It was up YOY for only December, I believe. For November, the XB1 was down YOY by about 400K if we are to go by Windows Central's numbers. Whatever amount the XB1 was up YOY by in December, it wasn't by much because the PS4 beat the XB1, but was down YOY (less than 1.6 million). Even on the best case scenario, it would only negate half of the YOY drop from November.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
barneystinson69 said:

It was up YOY for only December, I believe. For November, the XB1 was down YOY by about 400K if we are to go by Windows Central's numbers. Whatever amount the XB1 was up YOY by in December, it wasn't by much because the PS4 beat the XB1, but was down YOY (less than 1.6 million). Even on the best case scenario, it would only negate half of the YOY drop from November.

I think it was actually closer to 200k in Nov, though the PS4 was down 500k as well. November really seemed to be a poor month for both console.

barneystinson69 said:
Aura7541 said:

I think it was actually closer to 200k in Nov, though the PS4 was down 500k as well. November really seemed to be a poor month for both console.

Oh whoops, it was actually down YOY by 300K. I looked at the wrong month in 2015:

Even so, my point still stands in that even assuming the best case scenario for the XB1 for December, it's not enough to negate the November drop.

EDIT: Adding all the numbers together, the XB1 was down YOY for 2016 up to December by ~340K units. It is mathematically impossible for the XB1 to finish 2016 better than 2015.