By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

I think it fails at beeing both. Not powerful enough for a home console, not portable enough to be a portable. It's disaster in the making.

Around the Network
Nem said:
I think it fails at beeing both. Not powerful enough for a home console, not portable enough to be a portable. It's disaster in the making.

Handson's have been very positive so far, we will just have to wait and see after it's intial sales to be sure

Tablets are portable, throw it in a bag

shikamaru317 said:

I will definitely use it as a handheld primarily. The docked experience doesn't seem that great, sure you get 1080p on some games, but the joycon grip controller doesn't look that comfortable, and the Pro controller is a ridiculous $80. Here's hoping they release a "Slim" version in a few years with a drop to 16nm fabrication, giving us better battery life and a more pocket friendly form factor for those of us who would prefer to use it as a handheld. 

So far hands on's have been saying the joycons are comfortable and interesting to use

The Switch is already pretty "Slim"

Damn, Disgaea 5 only on 30fps ? Its really only à WiiU :/

I Guess Dragon Quest XI will bé a severe generation downgrade from PS4 version ( or 3DS version then ) so itll have to bé played on PS4 for the good home console expérience

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

DF speaks the truth.

Powerful handheld, but Nintendo seems to want us to think of it as a home console.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Aerys said:

Damn, Disgaea 5 only on 30fps ? Its really only à WiiU :/

I Guess Dragon Quest XI will bé a severe generation downgrade from PS4 version ( or 3DS version then ) so itll have to bé played on PS4 for the good home console expérience

Nippon Ichi Software president Sohei Niikawa stated that the development team initially considered a multi-platform release including the PlayStation 3, however decided to create a game which could only be done on the PS4 platform, so I guess it's quite demanding 

Rab said:
Nem said:

Handson's have been very positive so far, we will just have to wait and see after it's intial sales to be sure

Yes 3DS is already big. Add those sides to it and you got a gamepad that doesnt fit in your pocket.

That isnt a tablet, its a gamepad. You can't use it with just the pad part. No good for work either. Also, children are gonna lose and break those controller parts.

Have fun playing USF2 with analog sticks aswell. ^^

Nem said:
Rab said:

Yes 3DS is already big. Add those sides to it and you got a gamepad that doesnt fit in your pocket.

That isnt a tablet, its a gamepad. You can't use it with just the pad part. No good for work either. Also, children are gonna lose and break those controller parts.

Why would you use it without the controllers, or for work?

vivster said:
Watched the video. seems like a fair assessment. Zelda at 30fps is still very disappointing.

3D Zelda games have literally NEVER been more than 30fps and yet they're considered some of the greatest games of each generation. Not sure why anyone expected that BotW, the largest and most ambitious Zelda ever, would magically be 60fps.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Rab said:
Nem said:

Why would you use it without the controllers, or for work?

I'm talking about the picture you linked to make it sound like it wasnt big.

Also, cause tablet's are popular because they can be used for work aswell as gaming. But gaming is not their main function. Same as phones.