By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

shikamaru317 said:
Rab said:

So far hands on's have been saying the joycons are comfortable and interesting to use

The Switch is already pretty "Slim"

I was just using Slim as a generic term for a smaller version, it's not really the thickness I'm concerned about. The issue is the length and width. It's roughly 1 inch wider than the 3DS XL, which may make it too big to fit in a front pocket,  while the length with the joycons still attached is huge:

If they were to release a "handheld" model of Switch in a few years with a die shrink for lower power usage, that is 1" less wide and proportionally less long, it would be fantastic for those who want to use it a s a handheld, just the right width to fit in a front pocket, even if a good bit of it's length would still be sticking out of your pocket unless you removed the joycons and carried them in a different pocket. 

You want one small enough to fit in jeans pockets, ok

Around the Network
Nem said:
Rab said:

Why would you use it without the controllers, or for work?

I'm talking about the picture you linked to make it sound like it wasnt big.

Also, cause tablet's are popular because they can be used for work aswell as gaming. But gaming is not their main function. Same as phones.

Not sure why your comparing it's fuction to a tablet, All I was saying is it could fit into a bag/backpack like a tablet can

Size wise it's pretty moble IMO, similar to a 3DS XL or a tablet

Sh1nn said:

Even Disgaea 5 and Bomberman runs below 1080p ? wth 

GribbleGrunger said:

I still haven't got a view on how this thing will perform. Edit: A port of a 360 game and what amounts to 4 - 6 minute mini games for $40? Oh, my, Nintendo are being a little greedy with this system.

1,2,Switch is 50$ 

1-2 Switch is an embarassment to all gamers. I can't believe Nintendo let that shit leave their offices. 

TK14 said:
vivster said:
Watched the video. seems like a fair assessment. Zelda at 30fps is still very disappointing.

3D Zelda games have literally NEVER been more than 30fps and yet they're considered some of the greatest games of each generation. Not sure why anyone expected that BotW, the largest and most ambitious Zelda ever, would magically be 60fps.

Maybe because it's 2017. The same reason why no one expected it to be sprites or just black and white.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
TK14 said:

3D Zelda games have literally NEVER been more than 30fps and yet they're considered some of the greatest games of each generation. Not sure why anyone expected that BotW, the largest and most ambitious Zelda ever, would magically be 60fps.

Maybe because it's 2017. The same reason why no one expected it to be sprites or just black and white.

Well if they kept the sprites it would probably be 60fps 

Around the Network

The Switch has been very disappointing for me. I don't use handhelds, I really wanted a new, decent home console so I could plan Nintendo games...Instead they want me to spend way too much to buy a really weak console because it's built around a feature (features, actually) that I'll never use...

As an old school Nintendo fan, this sucks.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

SWORDF1SH said:
Pretty fair assessment. Console price could be an issue but it's priced a little high because they know the hardcore will lap it up. Releasing March is pretty smart because they can risk pricing high and if sales dip they can cut the price before the holidays for the casual gamers.

Agreed and it's made specially true with zelda coming out with it at launch. If hardcore Sony fans were willing to buy the ps3 at $600, anything is possible.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

GribbleGrunger said:
Sh1nn said:

Even Disgaea 5 and Bomberman runs below 1080p ? wth 

1,2,Switch is 50$ 

Dear me, what are Nintendo thinking? It should have been packed in with the system. Nintendo fans will buy this but will it find that mass market appeal? I'm not sure about that.

Ha! Not me! Nintendo can shove that right up their ass!

Money better spent on Splatoon 2.

I was confused by that bomberman game. it runs sub 1080p docked at 30fps but looks like a game at a level my smart tv can provide. I love bomberman but its the sort of game you'd think the maxwell chipset could pull off at 4k 30fps or 1080p 60fps without difficulty. Gameplay looks good but the technical performance level seems incredibly poor.

This looks like a mutant sibling you should hide in the basement not use for promotion purposes. Some of the games announced just made you stop and think about the performance level of the console being incredibly poor.

bonzobanana said:
Seems a fair assessment again hitting home with some criticisms of over pricing and performance. Almost seems like the dock should have been an accessory and the money spent on far larger battery capacity so it could last 5hrs plus or they used a less power hungry fabrication process like 16nm or 14nm.

Perhaps they should have just admitted they have withdrawn from home console gaming rather than pretend the Switch is a viable home console.

I rarely use a portable so really just need a cheap set top box that runs Switch games with a similar format to Playstation TV.

That will never happen, Ninty has too much pride for that.