By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

What? Arms looks pretty great, a lot of previews have been positive. What on earth are you talking about?

You do realize Nintendo also holds Directs and E3 conferences, right? If they announce everything now some games might get overshadowed. They didn't show what Retro is working on for example, but they haven't released a game since early 2014 (and already started developing a new game a few months before it released), so that new game will be entering the final phase of development. I expect it will get announced at E3 this year and release somewhere in 2018. I also very much doubt that Next Level Games only worked on Metroid: Federation Force for the last 3 years... If so, what a HUGE FAIL lol. 

ARMS looks like a glorified version of the Wii Sports boxing minigame IMO, but I'm trying to be less negative so I won't dwell on it.
And yes, I realize Nintendo likes to hold stuff back, but in this instance they really shouldn't, because its not a good look for their first year lineup to resemble the kind of support Wii U got.

I thought so when I saw the reveal. A boxing minigame? What the hell, Nintendo? Then I saw some gameplays and I felt there's much more to it. It was a similar reaction with Splatoon in my case. I'm telling you this because I don't know if you saw some gameplays, if not I think they're worth checking. If you saw them and felt that way, well, there's nothing I can do!

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Alkibiádēs said:

What? Arms looks pretty great, a lot of previews have been positive. What on earth are you talking about?

You do realize Nintendo also holds Directs and E3 conferences, right? If they announce everything now some games might get overshadowed. They didn't show what Retro is working on for example, but they haven't released a game since early 2014 (and already started developing a new game a few months before it released), so that new game will be entering the final phase of development. I expect it will get announced at E3 this year and release somewhere in 2018. I also very much doubt that Next Level Games only worked on Metroid: Federation Force for the last 3 years... If so, what a HUGE FAIL lol. 

ARMS looks like a glorified version of the Wii Sports boxing minigame IMO, but I'm trying to be less negative so I won't dwell on it.
And yes, I realize Nintendo likes to hold stuff back, but in this instance they really shouldn't, because its not a good look for their first year lineup to resemble the kind of support Wii U got.

You should look up some of the livestream footage, the battles got intense.

The basic concept of the combat system is this:

Blocking beats punches, grabs beat blocking and punches beat grabs. You also need to aim your punches carefully and you can also curve them. You need to think ahead if you want to destroy your opponent.

There's also strategy involved in which fighter you pick and which glove you select for each arm (3 options available for now, might be more in the full release). Each character also has a special ability (Master Mummy heals while he blocks for example). The characters are different enough as well: Master Mummy is a tank that deals a lot of damage, but is rather slow as a result. Ninjaru is very quick on the other hand. Some of the stages are also interactable. The motion controls are also very accurate from what is being reported. And the game also works with a traditonal controller if motion controls are not your cup of tea. 

That's already a lot more depth than Wii Sports Boxing if you ask me. Could you even move in those boxing matches? And Arms also has online, Wii Sports (Resort) did not. Not even Wii Sports Club had online I think. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Volterra_90 said:
curl-6 said:

I thought so when I saw the reveal. A boxing minigame? What the hell, Nintendo? Then I saw some gameplays and I felt there's much more to it. It was a similar reaction with Splatoon in my case. I'm telling you this because I don't know if you saw some gameplays, if not I think they're worth checking. If you saw them and felt that way, well, there's nothing I can do!

Alkibiádēs said:
curl-6 said:

Blocking beats punches, grabs beat blocking and punches beat grabs. You also need to aim your punches carefully and you can also curve them. You need to think ahead if you want to destroy your opponent. There's also strategy involved in which fighter you pick and which glove you select for each arm (3 options available for now, might be more in the full release). Some of the stages are also interactable. The motion controls are also very accurate from what is being reported. And the game also works with a traditonal controller if motion controls are not your cup of tea. 

That's already a lot more debt than Wii Sports Boxing if you ask me. Could you even move in those boxing matches?

I'm open to being proven wrong, I'm just very skeptical atm that it will be able to keep people engaged for the long term, looks like something that might get old fast. Motion controlled fighting games also don't have a great reputation or track record. But I guess we won't have to wait long to find out.

Rab said:
Torillian said:

Let's try and pull back on the "holier than thou" attitude a bit.  If you don't want to talk about resolution and console power and whatnot then a Digital Foundry thread just isn't for you.  I'm sure there are many other threads with a more "holistic" approach.   

Everythings open to opinion, this thread is open for dicussion as far as I can tell, I have been replying to someone directly quoting me, aslo try not to get offended by other views   

It's not your views, it's how you choose to present them.  Someone of your advanced age should know that it's not what you say but how you say it.  If you can express your views without soundling like the person you are talking to is beneath you then feel free to stick around.  

curl-6 said:
Volterra_90 said:

Alkibiádēs said:

Blocking beats punches, grabs beat blocking and punches beat grabs. You also need to aim your punches carefully and you can also curve them. You need to think ahead if you want to destroy your opponent. There's also strategy involved in which fighter you pick and which glove you select for each arm (3 options available for now, might be more in the full release). Some of the stages are also interactable. The motion controls are also very accurate from what is being reported. And the game also works with a traditonal controller if motion controls are not your cup of tea. 

That's already a lot more debt than Wii Sports Boxing if you ask me. Could you even move in those boxing matches?

I'm open to being proven wrong, I'm just very skeptical atm that it will be able to keep people engaged for the long term, looks like something that might get old fast. Motion controlled fighting games also don't have a great reputation or track record. But I guess we won't have to wait long to find out.

I'm also not sure about its sucess. I guess they'll follow a Splatoon route. Good promotion, a demo for everyone to try and hope for the best. We'll see if it's sucessful theen.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Volterra_90 said:

Alkibiádēs said:

It is reported that motion controls aren't necessary for Arms.

Torillian said:
Rab said:

Everythings open to opinion, this thread is open for dicussion as far as I can tell, I have been replying to someone directly quoting me, aslo try not to get offended by other views   

It's not your views, it's how you choose to present them.  Someone of your advanced age should know that it's not what you say but how you say it.  If you can express your views without soundling like the person you are talking to is beneath you then feel free to stick around.  

That's fair enough, just make sure you tell the other guy, reading his posts I got the feeling he was being condescending

Rab said:
Torillian said:

That's fair enough, just make sure you tell the other guy, reading his posts I got the feeling he was being condescending

Yeah reading back I can see what you mean.  Suppose it was just the "you'll see what I mean when you're older" part that irked me which is probably just a personal pet pieve more than anything.  I'll leave it as both being borderline insults and urge both of you to not let it go much further into that arena.  Apologies if it felt like I was targetting you unfairly.  

Not a bad video but there is one strange thing which isn't being addressed at all about the visuals being offered from the switch compared to the Wii-u

The point is that not only was the Wii-U rendering it's software on the TV but in a lot of games it was also streaming a second video feed to the Wii-U tablet with it's 854x480 resolution, I know that doesn't require a huge amount of power on it's own, but it was something that the Wii-U's GPU was handling at the exact same time it was doing the main TV displays output video. Being compacted back to always displaying on a single screen with the Switch (either TV or portable screen) it most certainly have saved some Power which the Wii-U was using on the extra screen.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Not a bad video but there is one strange thing which isn't being addressed at all about the visuals being offered from the switch compared to the Wii-u

The point is that not only was the Wii-U rendering it's software on the TV but in a lot of games it was also streaming a second video feed to the Wii-U tablet with it's 854x480 resolution, I know that doesn't require a huge amount of power on it's own, but it was something that the Wii-U's GPU was handling at the exact same time it was doing the main TV displays output video. Being compacted back to always displaying on a single screen with the Switch (either TV or portable screen) it most certainly have saved some Power which the Wii-U was using on the extra screen.

That's irrelevent as far as Breath of the Wild is concerned since the game doesn't use the second screen.