By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Third party sales on Switch

I think it would be pretty cool if they let us know how many copies of their game needs to be sold in order for it to be considered profitable, or successful. As it would help us judge how much effort actually went into development, and it would be an easy way to know that specific companies weren't trying to weasel out of making games for the system (if that was their intention) as many of us know and have seen how certain companies treated the Wii U when they made games for it.

Around the Network

well since none are announced 0 needs to be sold.

and no i am not counting those sports ports from ps3 probably.

It will die fast. There is alright meager support for the system, and Nintendo gamers aren't known for buying 3rd party software. The switch will be another place to put a few Nintendo games on it, and just about it.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

rjason12 said:

I think it would be pretty cool if they let us know how many copies of their game needs to be sold in order for it to be considered profitable, or successful. As it would help us judge how much effort actually went into development, and it would be an easy way to know that specific companies weren't trying to weasel out of making games for the system (if that was their intention) as many of us know and have seen how certain companies treated the Wii U when they made games for it.

Devs don't have any responsibility to make games for any system.  They'll make games that help them make money.  No more, no less.  And, that's exactly as it should be.  

If Nintendo wants third party support, they just need to sell a bunch of consoles to people who will buy the games.  It is that simple, really.  

While there are things I really like about the system, yeah I don't see a lot of third party stuff doing well.

Dragon Quest (in Japan), Minecraft will sell, but stuff like Skyrim, FIFA, NBA, I think are unfortunately gonna do the same thing Wii U ports did, which is go bomba.

Nintendo's gonna have to support this mainly on their own with 4-5 big Japanese IP and some smaller nichey Japanese games + indie titles.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Except for all those third party titles that were announced.

rjason12 said:
Cobretti2 said:

0 at launch, and a few for the whole year.  That's hardly a large amount.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

VAMatt said:
rjason12 said:

Devs don't have any responsibility to make games for any system.  They'll make games that help them make money.  No more, no less.  And, that's exactly as it should be.  

If Nintendo wants third party support, they just need to sell a bunch of consoles to people who will buy the games.  It is that simple, really.  

Never said that they do, was just stating that it would be nice to know. I mean we really don't know video game budgets at all, which is pretty crazy considering we know all about movie budgets and how well they need to perform. It's just nice to have the info. Like I would love to know how much virtual console games sell, and how much it costs to do each title, and how to make it worthwhile. Hell it would be cool if they had a semi pre-order system like kickstarter, where people could put down like 1-5 bucks each and if the VC game reaches its target, everyone would pay the difference they owe and get the game when it launches.

barneystinson69 said:
rjason12 said:

0 at launch, and a few for the whole year.  That's hardly a large amount.

Actually 3 at launch so far (still a weak launch), and about 50 third party games (yes I included indies) have been announced so far. It hasn't gotten much western support (yet? If it does) though it has gotten lots of japenese support. You can't write that off to fit your narrative.

rjason12 said:

Hell it would be cool if they had a semi pre-order system like kickstarter, where people could put down like 1-5 bucks each and if the VC game reaches its target, everyone would pay the difference they owe and get the game when it launches.

Yes, something like that would be cool.  But, I'm not sure why it would need to be reserved for VC games.  Why not do straight Kickstarter style campaigns for any games that the devs are on the fence about making?  It works for companies that nobody has ever heard of.  Why not big names developers?