By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871
Captain_Yuri said:

Can we continue the discussion about Sony going third party here since the other thread got locked? I feel like it was going somewhere interesting before the mod locked it... And I don't mean in a "flame bait" interesting sorta way.

I don't know if it's the right place, but I'd love to hear people's viewpoint on Sony going third party.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:

Out of all 3 of the console manufacturers, Sony is in the most precarious situation financially. Meanwhile, contrary to what all these "Nintendoomers" would have you believe, Nintendo is in reality almost literally swimming in money!

I don't think the situation is that absolute.

Sony as a corporation is doing bad, but their main divisions are doing well. Sony Pictures and Sony Entertainment are making profit. Sony Entertainment which is PlayStation, is the leader of the market.

Meanwhile Nintendo isn't making reasonable profit since 2011. Let alone the years when they had negative results. We all hope Switch will change that, though.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

zorg1000 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

How is ' as for bigger install base automatically equaling bigger sales, thats not how it works.' and 'you said bigger install base doesn't equal more sales' not the exact same thing? Honest, explain that to me. 

So you're saying you agree with everything I'm saying except the fact that they would sell enough on the other systems to make it worth it? Cause then we can just go on from there if that's accurate. 

Automatically is the key word, a bigger install base allows for a game to have higher sales potential but reaching that potential is not gauranteed. Earlier in this thread I gave multiple examples of franchises that did not see any notable growth by being on a significantly higher install base so you can not just assume that a game will sell better on a higher install base.

The best selling Zelda & 3D Mario games are on Nintendo's 8th best selling platform. The best selling Metroid is on Nintendo's 9th best selling platform. Kirby has consistently sold about 2 million give or take for 20 years on install bases ranging from 20-155 million. Pokemon has consistently sold 15-17 million for 15 years on install bases ranging from 65-155 million. Fire Emblem has sold over double on 3DS than it did on GBA, Wii & DS which each had higher install bases. The list goes on.

That is proof that a significantly higher install base does not guarantee that a franchise will have greater sales.

There are many other factors at play like does the platform have an active userbase interested in that genre? For example, can you show me any games similar to Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Mario Party or Style Savvy that have done well on PS4/XBO? There aren't any that I can think of, these games belong to genres that have little to no presense on those systems so its illogical to expect them to see notable increases.

Will the game have stiff competition from other big franchises in that genre? I'm sure Breath of the Wild would sell great on PS4/XBO but at the same time PS4/XBO are pretty flooded with open-world/action/adventure/RPG games. Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Red Dead, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, Just Cause, The Witcher, Batman Arkham, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of Mordor, etc. Is it possible that these games could help boost Zelda sales? Absolutely possible but at the same time it could get lost in the crowd and the increase would be minimal.

You proved that on the same company platform more units doesn't always equal more sales. That's true there's lots involved when you're talking about the SAME platform. If the PS4 sold 50 million more units it doesn't mean that Uncharted is going to automatically sell more, cause it's the same console base. 

I'm talking about something completely different. An Exclusive going from 1 console with a small user base, to 4 platforms with an overall larger user base. Your entire first couple of paragraphs are meaningless to that. Mass effect sold a lot more once it got released on playstation that it did before. Same with Bioshock etc, etc. Rocket league did Amazing on PS4. But including sales on Steam dn Xbox it is greatly increased. 

Ah that's true there is a lot of competition, but Nintendo games stand out from the mould of everyone. We obviously can't prove it one way or the other but to say the increase in sales for Nintendo franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc would be minimal. To me that just sounds like nonsense. Can't be proved one way or the other but I would bet my left hand that sales would at least double once aviailable on PS4/XB/Steam. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Seriously, a simple google search will tell you otherwise. Sony is in debt by literally TRILLIONS of dollars! They owe more than the total assets of the whole company and things aren't improving. The reason for this is because all their profits are being ploughed into repaying their debts.

Nintendo on the other hand has had like 1 year of loss making out of the last 100 or so years,or something like that. Again, if you don't believe me, all it takes is a quick google search. In terms of profits/assets/money in the bank Nintendo is 1 of the richest companies in Japan.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:

Seriously, a simple google search will tell you otherwise. Sony is in debt by literally TRILLIONS of dollars! They owe more than the total assets of the whole company and things aren't improving. The reason for this is because all their profits are being ploughed into repaying their debts.

Nintendo on the other hand has had like 1 year of loss making out of the last 100 or so years,or something like that. Again, if you don't believe me, all it takes is a quick google search. In terms of profits/assets/money in the bank Nintendo is 1 of the richest companies in Japan.

Literally trillions of dollars...

Yeah... No.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
peachbuggy said:

Yeah... No.

Just because you don't want it to be the case  doesn't mean it isn't the case. All you have to do is to google it, then you can find out for yourself.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Hynad said:

Yeah... No.

Just because you don't want it to be the case  doesn't mean it isn't the case. All you have to do is to google it, then you can find out for yourself.

Why not provide a link? Humor me.

ArchangelMadzz said:
zorg1000 said:

Automatically is the key word, a bigger install base allows for a game to have higher sales potential but reaching that potential is not gauranteed. Earlier in this thread I gave multiple examples of franchises that did not see any notable growth by being on a significantly higher install base so you can not just assume that a game will sell better on a higher install base.

The best selling Zelda & 3D Mario games are on Nintendo's 8th best selling platform. The best selling Metroid is on Nintendo's 9th best selling platform. Kirby has consistently sold about 2 million give or take for 20 years on install bases ranging from 20-155 million. Pokemon has consistently sold 15-17 million for 15 years on install bases ranging from 65-155 million. Fire Emblem has sold over double on 3DS than it did on GBA, Wii & DS which each had higher install bases. The list goes on.

That is proof that a significantly higher install base does not guarantee that a franchise will have greater sales.

There are many other factors at play like does the platform have an active userbase interested in that genre? For example, can you show me any games similar to Nintendogs, Rhythm Heaven, Mario Party or Style Savvy that have done well on PS4/XBO? There aren't any that I can think of, these games belong to genres that have little to no presense on those systems so its illogical to expect them to see notable increases.

Will the game have stiff competition from other big franchises in that genre? I'm sure Breath of the Wild would sell great on PS4/XBO but at the same time PS4/XBO are pretty flooded with open-world/action/adventure/RPG games. Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Red Dead, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, Just Cause, The Witcher, Batman Arkham, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Metal Gear Solid, Shadow of Mordor, etc. Is it possible that these games could help boost Zelda sales? Absolutely possible but at the same time it could get lost in the crowd and the increase would be minimal.

You proved that on the same company platform more units doesn't always equal more sales. That's true there's lots involved when you're talking about the SAME platform. If the PS4 sold 50 million more units it doesn't mean that Uncharted is going to automatically sell more, cause it's the same console base. 

I'm talking about something completely different. An Exclusive going from 1 console with a small user base, to 4 platforms with an overall larger user base. Your entire first couple of paragraphs are meaningless to that. Mass effect sold a lot more once it got released on playstation that it did before. Same with Bioshock etc, etc. Rocket league did Amazing on PS4. But including sales on Steam dn Xbox it is greatly increased. 

Ah that's true there is a lot of competition, but Nintendo games stand out from the mould of everyone. We obviously can't prove it one way or the other but to say the increase in sales for Nintendo franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc would be minimal. To me that just sounds like nonsense. Can't be proved one way or the other but I would bet my left hand that sales would at least double once aviailable on PS4/XB/Steam. 

Why does it matter if its the same company? that argument makes no sense.

Anywho, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Tekken are franchises that saw no notable growth from going multiplatform so that disproves your argument.

@bolded, i already addressed this twice now. If a console sells similar to Dreamcast, Wii U & Vita than i agree that its install base holds back software sales but there is little reason to expect Switch to do as poorly as those systems so the point is moot.

Can you show me any $50 2D platformers that have sold well on PS4/XBO/PC? how about $60 Kart racers for the matter? These genres have little to no presence on those ecosystems so why are you assuming they would all of a sudden be huge hits on these platforms? You havent given any actual reasons why Nintendo games would double or triple in popularity by going 3rd party.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Hynad said:
peachbuggy said:

Well, kinda but not actually. They're trillions of yen in debt not dollars.

Green098 said:
Hynad said:

Well, kinda but not actually. They're trillions of yen in debt not dollars.

Which is why I said: Humor me.

Perspective:

1 bilion Yen = (currently)  9 184 340 USD