By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So how many of you are quitting console gaming?

Tagged games:

naruball said:
maxleresistant said:
Well me, kinda, I'm not interested in the Switch and the Xbox One.
I play mostly on PC, I'm thinking about a PS4, but I have been thinking for so long that I'm wondering if I'll really make the jump one day lol.

So I guess that's it, I'm a PC gamer now, after being a Nintendo gamer for more than 25 years...
Wow. 25 years is a lifetime

That's a shame but understandable. Thankfully for me paying online is not necessary as I hate online gaming. But ps+ is worth it at the moment so I have no problem paying for it.

I'd have to give more detail about why I'm not keeping with Nintendo. It's not just because of the online.

Paying online would be fine with me, but the Switch is just outdated on the graphic parts,  like really outdated, ,more than 1 gen late now but at the same time it's crazy expensive because of the joycons and everything, but I think those will be useless.

Most games are aimed at japanese people, and those games are just not my cup of tea, also first party  games looked really weak to me. Mario looks weird, don't care about Mario kart 8 deluxe, ARMS looks like a fun game that you 'll play a day or two but not someting worth 50 bucks. 

And the prices of accessories, oh my god those prices, 70/75bucks for a controller? have they lost their mind? 

And if they still us the same price strategy, you know all those will stay up. It doesn't make any sense to me, the Switch is just a bad idea that keeps on getting worse and worse. 

Around the Network

I was a PC gamer for 12+ years after seeing how much games i missed on consoles i switched to PS4 PSN is not that much tbh if you are paying yearly.

PS4 is gonna be for 3d Party multiplats/exclusives when i decide to buy switch it's gonna be only for exclusives i don't even like online that much.

Best of both worlds imo.

Bandorr said:
irstupid said:
Who cares about pay to play online.

I have been gaming for 20 years now and have yet to pay for anything online related that ws not an MMO. Never paid for Live, PSN, ect. I doubt I'll pay for this Nintendo one.

I don't play FPS, which constitute 90% of online games. And multiplayer games I tend to enjoy with people in the room versus online, so ain't too tempted to pay. We'll see. Is Mario Kart and Smash enough to make me want to pay online? Doubtful, or at least for long.

I'm mostly an offline single player gamer, or else party gamer. Neither requires internet.

I'm actually more excited for gaming than ever since last night. Been wanting so long for handheld and home to clash. The Wii U was not what I wanted. This looks to be. Kind of makes me think of the typical trend in electronics. Someone does something first and it sucks, and someone else comes out with a better version later. Like look at Apple. They rarely ever come out with things first, but many times people only remember them for "inventing" it, because they just made it "work". Feels like that is what happened here with Switch. Funny thing though is, Nintendo seems to be in it's own market. They sort of come out with it first with Wii U, and finally get it right with Switch. (you could argue the Shield, but that just again proves my point. It didn't click)

Probably the people playing Splatoon 2. Also Mario Kart Deluxe. Both very popular online.

Yeah, considering how popular these games are and how many threads we had about Splatoon's multiplayer, I suspect it affects quie a few people, if not millions.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Paid online = I'm not paying for online

Paid online where they throw in some games every month like PS/XBox = Might pay for online.

Totally agree with you. I, sometimes, pay for Xbox Live, because they give away some great games. But that's about it. Nintendo will give old NES and SNES games for you to play just a month (if you could keep it, I would change my matter on this subject). That's not enough.

About quitting console gaming, I think XOne will end up being my last console. Bought it because it had more and better exclusives at launch then PS4. Now, there's no exclusives at all. Beside that, I don't have the time anymore for playing. Switch could have been a solution, but for that price and that power (I don't care much about power, but I do care about paying what is fair, for what Nintendo showed, my max price for Switch would be $249), there's no way for me.

About remaster: I like remasters, because it's a chance to play the whole game, with all DLC in a new platform (I have a lot of old consoles, but I usually let just one console plugged in the TV, XOne). Of course, I'm just interested in games that I haven't played before. The problem is: there's clearly a lack of new games. That's why remasters bother people so much.

naruball said:
KilleyMc said:
Luckily for me the PS4 and Xbone are so unappealing that so far I didn't feel the need to ask myself that question. I've free online and great games on my 3DS and for now that's all I need, if Switch replaces it soon then I'll have to consider going full PC, unless there are enough single player exclusives that might interest me in the console.

In other words, paid online is a dealbreaker for you, right?

For what I've seen so far, yes, Splatoon and Mario Kart would be pretty much useless for me. If it get enough good turn-based JRPG exclusives (something that the PS4 lacks) then that might help raise my interest on the Switch, but I won't be suscribing to that paid online programm nor getting games that require online to play, that's for sure.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Yup, saw it just as well, most people will probably just not care now that it's against their case.

Probably. That's exactly what happened when Sony annnounced the PS4 paywall. Legions of fans who had blasted Xbox for paid online suddenly fell silent.

As for me, I'm pretty disappointed in Nintendo. Starting with WiiU/3DS it began to embrace all the negative trends in the industry: DLC, season passes, microtransactions, etc. Now we can add online paywalls. Nintendo might make the best games in the business but they've become another cynical shark in terms of business tactics.

I don´t play online at all. I don´t buy online games.
I won´t quit consoles until playstation exclusives are on PC.
I do wish everything was on PC though.

Surely there are some threads from the last few years asking this question. I'd be interested to see people's opinions then vs now.

Nah. I really liked the online from Wii U but I was a longtime 360 owner so the fees never bothered me. I won't be participating in Switch and their online setup. The game rentals feel like a ripoff after getting the love from GWG.

I m not quitting console gaming since there are a lot of good single player games coming out. I am just buying consoles mid cycle instead of during launch and buying most games on PC instead.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850