By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I...Don't think the Switch has voice chat.

AAA300 said:
im assuming they mean an app on the switch itself and about god damn time!!!! would be ignorant if its on a phone because i already do that with the wii u for free!

I don't think that's what they're talking about...

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch"

I have no idea what Nintendo spent the last four years doing...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
AAA300 said:
im assuming they mean an app on the switch itself and about god damn time!!!! would be ignorant if its on a phone because i already do that with the wii u for free!

The wording is pretty clear.

they have a new app, for peoples smart devices, that ll allow you voice chat.

Its not a switch app. Its something for your phone/tablet.

JRPGfan said:
Normchacho said:

But wwwwhhhhyyyyy...Has nobody at Nintendo ever played anything but Nintendo systems?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

So now you have to use two devices if you want to chat in-game, instead of just one. And you have to pay for it. Possibly even twice, depending on your smartphone's payment deal.

Normchacho said:
JRPGfan said:

But wwwwhhhhyyyyy...Has nobody at Nintendo ever played anything but Nintendo systems?

The feature is added overhead. That's probably why.

I don't care for voice chat but if it were kept free I think most would be able to look past the need for a smart device with the app installed.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Wow, I guess that settles the wifi/3g/4g thing. They're using your smartphone...for voice chat. Nintendo is so fucking out of touch. If they would have not put so much into the silly joy cons it could have been less expensive and more main stream. I just don't understand how they can have people literally eating out of their hands until you find out you're eating shit. They're the only company that could mess up something as wide open as this! The ball was in their court and based off of this conference they missed.

Hopefully the treehouse clears up some things tomorrow. If true, this is terrible. They didn't even show the OS now that I think about it. Wow.

Unfortunately for Nintendo, that number of people keeps dwindling the more they stay behind the times. At it's current price and focus on motion controls instead on console gaming, I wouldn't be surprised if this only does on par with the Wii U. And it's too expensive to appeal to casuals, which is what they need to bring some of the 3DS audience over.

What the hell are people paying for if the online still lacks basic features that PS/Xbox have had since last gen?

I sincerely hope Nintendo fans stand up to them over this mess instead of passively going along with it.

ShopTo in the UK got a mic/earphone set on sale so it must have voice chat :) - http://www.shopto.net/video-games/switch/SWAC01-switch-in-ear-stereo-gaming-headset, Not an official product but states as universal across platforms.

Key features: 

-13mm Speaker drivers - superior sound clarity to enhance your gaming experience 

-Inline volume control unit - ergonomically designed control for in-game volume 

-Soft ear-hook and 3 sets of ear grommets(small, medium and large) - for maximum comfort during gameplay 

-Adjustable flexible microphone - fully adjustable microphone for live in-game chat 

-1.2 metre flat cable - with 3.5mm jack (2.5mm adaptor cable provided for Xbox 360) 

-UNIVERSAL - compatible with PS4, PSP, Xbox One (requires adaptor), Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch & PC and Mac

Sounds so dull, discord exists for that.
We want to make a group and chat from the game not ...drain two devices' batteries at the same time

So basically its the same as ringing your friend and just leaving the phone call running?