By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I...Don't think the Switch has voice chat.

I read the page wrong. It is one app. Makes no sense.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
fleischr said:
God forbid you use your phone to talk to talk to your friends!

God forbid acknowledging when Nintendo have a truly terrible idea.

This is ridiculous and can't possibly be defended, especially paired with all the other blunders they've already made with this thing. It's like they don't want to stay on the console market at all.

Don't overlook the fact that WiiU has zero system-wide voice chat. Messaging and accessing a friends list has always been really obtuse.

Would it be better if those features were natively within the console itself? Of course. But considering many people have their smartphone (including myself) within arms reach 24/7 - it doesn't bother me that much. If I have to use a smartphone app for voice chat, friends list and messaging, I can deal with that. If it truly integrates well with the Switch system well, the only real drawback is that you're draining you phone battery as well the Switch. It'll probably be much easier to adapt to than what all this faux-outrage would lead us to believe.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

superchunk said:
It has voice chat and a separate one app. Two different things.

Source? Because that is absolutely not what their site says.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

fleischr said:
Mummelmann said:

God forbid acknowledging when Nintendo have a truly terrible idea.

This is ridiculous and can't possibly be defended, especially paired with all the other blunders they've already made with this thing. It's like they don't want to stay on the console market at all.

Don't overlook the fact that WiiU has zero system-wide voice chat. Messaging and accessing a friends list has always been really obtuse.

Would it be better if those features were natively within the console itself? Of course. But considering many people have their smartphone (including myself) within arms reach 24/7 - it doesn't bother me that much. If I have to use a smartphone app for voice chat, friends list and messaging, I can deal with that. If it truly integrates well with the Switch system well, the only real drawback is that you're draining you phone battery as well the Switch. It'll probably be much easier to adapt to than what all this faux-outrage would lead us to believe.

It's not faux outrage. It's 2017 and to charge for an online service that doesn't have a feature that is so obvious most people just assume it's included is insane.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I really hope this isn't true but I think you might be right. Looking at the Joy Cons and the Pro controller neither seem to have a headphone jack. The Switch itself does but how would you use that when it's docked and being played on the TV. Really poor decision by Nintendo.