By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does the PS3 suck so much...

^ its stealth troll. Not blatant trolling by using insults.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
dabaus513 said:
sc94597 said:
dabaus513 said:
sc94597 said:
^ We are talking about as a spare gpu.

Sorry to ask a n00b question but what is the difference between a gpu and a spu? What do they do specifically?

Well cell as a whole is technically a cpu. It is seperated in a core, and 7 spus. So a gpu is a graphics processing unit. WHile a cpu is a central processing unit. A cpu is the main processor , and it usually runs things in general, while a gpu stays in one specific area graphics. Now since the cell has a core, and several spus that aren't being used for most games I think you could use the spus for graphics production similar to a gpu. It just helps graphics production more than a regular cpu. I think that is what people are saying to me about the cell being used for graphics.

Oh, sounds confusing. So based off what you know about processors and such would you theps3 or 360 has more juice or are they better at different things. Does making a hard drive make a difference as well? Sorry for the noob questions but i find this stuff interesting and dont really know much about it.

Well the 360 has a better gpu while having an inferior cpu. I would say the ps3 is more capable , but the difference imo is similar to the difference between the gc , and xbox. Hard drives only matter for space, nothing too big. I'm far from an expert though, especially on the cell. I think another thing we have to take in to consideration is that most developers have to re learn things to develop for the cell, which means most of it's power won't be used until later on in this generation.
Exactly why you shouldnt be talking like you think you're expert.

fazz said:
ssj12 said:
The strength about the PS3 is the processor not the GPU. The GPU is equal to the 7800GTX, no question on that. The 9800GX2 easily puts the RSX to shame but it will take a PC with a QX9770 and a 9800GX2 to outperform what the PS3 is truly capable of thanks to the CELL processor.

But would you say that the 9800GX2 alone doesn't outperforms the entire PS3, including the Cell, by a lot?

I remember someone here saying that the Cell was equivalent to a 6800Ultra in terms of 3D performance.

We know that the 9800GX2 is a monster in terms of pixel/shader/texture peformance and bandwidth, and it crushes the RSX from hell to heaven and back. If we judge by pure FLOPS performance that some marketing people seem to love, the six SPE in the Cell crunch around 150GFLOPS on games + around 140GFLOPS of the RSX. The 9800GX2 can achieve over 750GLOPS by itself. How could we calculate the shader performance of the Cell?

I heard the 9800GX2 completely falls apart when you apply AA and AF filters, so much so it doesn't act any better, or in some cases worse, than a 8800 Ultra or 3870X2.

Either way, I think it's no contest if we're comparing it to PS3's offerings; especially because of the insane resolutions it can smoothly render.

Also, who the hell is saying PS3=8500gt? Are you mad? 8500gt is pretty low tier...

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

^That would be sc94579, the one who has admitted to knowing pretty much nothing about the PS3 but insists that you can easily compare it to a PC, and that a 8400GT is more powerful, yet at the same time that the RSX is equivalent to a 8800GT.

(He's a child who has a Wii and thinks its as powerful as the PS3, so give him a break, he will learn eventually)

The RSX is based off of the G70 architecture (7000 series), and is somewhat faster than a 7800gtx.

Around the Network

The PS3 is ace, i got one with my xmas money, my 360's good but PS3 has Gran Turismo (best driving game series ever), Blu Ray and Home (looks so cool).

^ A comparison is made between PS3 and PC. PS3 in ten times more fun than PC gaming and PS3 is more powerful than most PC's on the market.

Play GT5:P online....then lets talk again. 1080p at 60fps. no slowdown no glitches just fast and beautiful...to tell u the truth i didnt expected to be that good. Numbers dont count, only games that can prove the numbers. And GT5:P is fine example of what PS3 can do. Just remember the evolution of the games in the past generations.

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys

Rock_on_2008 said:
^ A comparison is made between PS3 and PC. PS3 in ten times more fun than PC gaming and PS3 is more powerful than most PC's on the market.

That is highly debatable.

Until RTS is done right on consoles (which probably won't happen for quite some time to come), PC > consoles.

Yawn... The developers are still figuring out what they can do on the cell. One of the critical reasons why devs aren't using 100% of the cells power is probably the fact that after they do everything they need to do given the graphics and the gameplay they are targeting, they need more coding strategies/maybe libraries to run a greater variety of code on it.

I would see the GPU and ram as limiting the cells potential. With more ram they could run bigger code to use that massive throughput and a better GPU would let the developers use more texture culling, physics, objects, dynamic sound etc on the cell.

Lastly, taking a quick look at the GPU, it would probably only really perform well at the 720p level. The 8 ROP units and the 128kb memory bus running off 256mb ram, probably only define it's capabilities not limit them. It would be debatable that the PS3 could do FULL HD without these limitations on the GPU. It looks like the whole system was designed to operate at the 720p - 1280/1080 level for the most graphically intensive games. If it Sony wanted more they could have charged $100 more but likely we would not be having this conversation right now.

I feel the PS3's greatest strength is in the BLU Ray drive, and streaming content through the cell processor. You can see the advantage the PS3 has in delivering the artist's vision. We've all heard Kojima and Co talking about how the Cell and Blu ray has helped them realize their visions. Feel happy, it's a great console. Im happy to own it.

Lay off each other please? Respect is a virtue.

Tease.