By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does the PS3 suck so much...

totalwar23 said:
sc94597 said:
totalwar23 said:
sc94597 said:
totalwar23 said:
selnor said:
Username2324 said:
sc94597 said:
ssj12 said:
The strength about the PS3 is the processor not the GPU. The GPU is equal to the 7800GTX, no question on that. The 9800GX2 easily puts the RSX to shame but it will take a PC with a QX9770 and a 9800GX2 to outperform what the PS3 is truly capable of thanks to the CELL processor.

Yeah I agree, but nobody seems to use the CELL. It just lays there being unused. I really want to see what the cell is capable of as a gpu. The only problem I see is the small amount of ram , and low bandwidth compared to pc gpus.

Edit: But I don't agree it's that powerful. Maybe equivalent to a 8800gt single.

Laugh out freakin loud! So you go from being less than a 8400GT to close to a 8800GT, that's quite a jump my friend!

This thread has bad tech talk. Stop calling the Cell a GPU. It's not its a CPU. End of.

Now that is the truth.

@sc94597

Are you actually saying the Cell is equivalent to an 8800GT? Dear god...

Well I'm talking about if the cell is used as a second gpu along with rsx, maybe the outcome would be similar to a 8800gt. Oh and you tink I'm bad look at what SSJ12 thinks.

@ Therealmafoo I'm not a ps3 hater, I just like the wii more. I have a ps3 , and 360 btw.

@ Username, Why don't you go bother somebody else , you aren't worth talking to.

First off, the RSX is what, an 7800GTX or around there. The 8800GT is roughly 2X more powerful than the 7800GTX.

Secondly, I'm going to quote HappySqurriel. Read below:

"MikeB, if one Cell processor can so greatly improve the rendering of a scene in game while at the same time running the rest of the game's code why did Sony abandon their multiple Cell-processor per PS3 (in stead of a GPU) so early on in the PS3's design?

IIRC, Initially Sony planned on having 3 Cell processors in every PS3 as a way to give developers full flexability on how the performance of the system was allocated between core logic and graphical effects but abandoned that because an inexpensive GPU would outperform the entire system in rendering polygons with full effects. How would it be possible for a GPU (like the RSX) to outperform 3 Cell processors with what it is doing, and yet one (already taxed) Cell processor could boost performance of the RSX to nearly double?"

Please answer HappySqurriel's question.

Well my guess is that it would be easier to develop for at first.

Oh yeah, Sony really saved the developers. Thank goodness Sony did that to make the PS3 easy to develop for.

But I meant the question in the second paragraph. One GPU is stronger than 3 Cells combined in performance so how would one Cell suddenly double the RSX performance and perform its job as a general CPU?

You got me there. Idk 

Around the Network

I would like to see the article stating that 3 cells could be overpower by a single GPU.

Username2324 said:
I would like to see the article stating that 3 cells could be overpower by a single GPU.
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT072405191325&p=2

quoted from acrticle.

"The new performance claim by Sony is that the CELL processor in this configuration can achieve a rating of 218 GFlops at 3.2 GHz."

Note I ignored the fact that the article states that actual performace is LESS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer' (cause I'm lazy)

1.8 TFLOPS.

The GPU performance is of course specialized but that's the point.

Edit-Hmm, maybe I shouldn't use FLOPS like this. Oh well, too late.

off topic....but could they have instead included multiple RSX chips and no cell instead of no RSX and 3 cell chips? Or is using a GPU for CPU purposes to hard to develop for? IDK just curious

crymetyme said:
off topic....but could they have instead included multiple RSX chips and no cell instead of no RSX and 3 cell chips? Or is using a GPU for CPU purposes to hard to develop for? IDK just curious

Gpus are specific to graphics while cpus are in general. I think it would have been better if they used the money they had for the cell, and just added two rsxs , and a dual/quad core cpu. That would have been easier to develop for , and better imo.

Around the Network

The Cell is very usefull for pre-rendering computations (ie generating geometry shapes for water ripples , particle repulsion and interaction etc- etc ) also Physics , colision detection and ray-tracing (still not fast enough for real time tracing though) And Digital Signal processing (sound , and video) -

These are all things cant be done with a GPU and are slower when done on a CPU the PS3 has alot of scope for future gameing , there is a longer learning curve and larger tool, library development cost associated with it but it can go places where the rest cant follow.

The X360's CPU is a Compromise between the Cell and a Normal Power PC (like the Wii Uses) - so it also has many complexitys to deal with (like multi core and SIMD).
I Think there are many games on both Xbox360 and PS3 which are only using a single core - that is often all they need. !

PS3 number 1 fan

here check this artictle out saying that gpus will be replaced by multicored cpus

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36758/135/

Cell can and will make a difference, its not all about the gpu in the ps3

xenophon13 said:
here check this artictle out saying that gpus will be replaced by multicored cpus

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36758/135/

Cell can and will make a difference, its not all about the gpu in the ps3

I loled, and a lot, intel right now is in a hard place in the graphics area, yes, their CPUs are great, but their IGPs are lame...

Read the article again, incomplete demo, no info about the FPS or resolution, they are just promoting their CPUs... (And trying to discredit the madness of the multi-gpus, mostly for troubles with nVidia, SLI tech and Havok vs PhysX)...

Overcloking a CPU has a little effect in a game vs adding a good GPU...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."