By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump does something cool

cool 43 48.86%

not cool 45 51.14%

Total:88
TheWPCTraveler said:

9/10 good concept, subpar execution
Subpar insofar as he took a question from CNN later on, 
he could've pushed even further and announced he was going to revoke their White House press privileges

I get that, but realistically the fact he was willing to take question later showed even more the arrogance of CNN.

LBJ is supposed to have used the same tactic of outright fabricated BS smear against his opponent:
"Christ, Lyndon, we can't call the guy a pigfucker. It isn't true."
To which LBJ supposedly replied "Of course it ain't true, but I want to make the son-of-a-bitch 
deny it." 

When you're facing that level of BS attack, even DENYing the story is giving credence and legitimacy to the BS.
Although when everybody already knew/thought Trump was a sleaze-ball, what is the point of pee hooker stories?
How could that possibly work as "Russian blackmail" when it doesn't actually clash with his public persona at all?
Of course, that is why dossier wasn't originally published, because indirect reference to it is more convincing than reality.

bunchanumbers said:
The funny thing is that the dossier has been around for a long time.
It was just that CNN were the first to finally bring it up. They ended up eating the sandwich.

It was actually Buzzfeed which outed the dossier, CNN just suddenly decided to go along with the story...
Despite the dossier having long been known, including by CNN, but not reported on because it was clearly BS.
(I mean, there's loads of basic facts wrong, claims of people in places they never were, 4chan pee hoaxes, etc)

In all honesty, the actual release of the dossier at this point was not IMHO a planned act vs Trump.
It was Buzzfeed going gonzo for clicks.  When it was released it was almost instantly debunked left and right.
When it was not released, it was being used as the basis for "government intelligence sources say..." stories.
The stories tended to use weasel words to not actually lie, because they don't need to, implication works fine.
Which ironically, people gave more credence to than the actual report which can be factually assessed.

Naieve people read "intelligence sources say..." and give it credence,
ignoring that "intelligence agencies" being in possession of dossier doesn't imply any reliability at all,
not in the case of election opposition-financed smear reports, not in the case of Iraqi Yellow Cake stories.
Because intelligence agencies being in possession of BS doesn't make the BS any truer.

We now know the dossier was NOT a state secret, it was widely circulated in media, 
yet the "intelligence sources say..." stories played along by keeping it secret while basing stories off it.
CNN now grand-stands that it is valid story to report on, yet did NOT report on dossier earlier because
that would have introduced objectively verifiable means of assessing "intelligence sources say..." stories.
The CIA etc sources for the stories could have publicly clarified the non-secret basis of the stories, but didn't.

Likewise, no MSM story ever detailed claims of actual "Russian hacking of election" i.e subversion of vote...
But because phrases like that were thrown around like candy by MSM in editorial context,
we have polls showing 1/2 of Hillary voters believe that Russia literally hacked the election results. 

The whole Russia thing is a joke, there is no Manchurian Candidate scenario
when Trump publicly stated his policy re: productive relationship to Russia during the campaign.
People knew that was what was on offer, and that is what they voted for, that is policy that won election.
Hillary Clinton remains the only one with proven corrupt ties to foreign governments which she tried to cover up.
Hillary was backed by most of Republican establishment, i.e. the "establishment consensus" lost.  Deal with it. 

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

9/10 good concept, subpar execution
Subpar insofar as he took a question from CNN later on, 
he could've pushed even further and announced he was going to revoke their White House press privileges

I get that, but realistically the fact he was willing to take question later showed even more the arrogance of CNN.

LBJ is supposed to have used the same tactic of outright fabricated BS smear against his opponent:
"Christ, Lyndon, we can't call the guy a pigfucker. It isn't true."
To which LBJ supposedly replied "Of course it ain't true, but I want to make the son-of-a-bitch 
deny it." 

When you're facing that level of BS attack, even DENYing the story is giving credence and legitimacy to the BS.
Although when everybody already knew/thought Trump was a sleaze-ball, what is the point of pee hooker stories?
How could that possibly work as "Russian blackmail" when it doesn't actually clash with his public persona at all?

bunchanumbers said:
The funny thing is that the dossier has been around for a long time.
It was just that CNN were the first to finally bring it up. They ended up eating the sandwich.

It was actually Buzzfeed which outed the dossier, CNN just suddenly decided to go along with the story...
Despite the dossier having long been known, including by CNN, but not reported on because it was clearly BS.
(I mean, there's loads of basic facts wrong, claims of people in places they never were, 4chan pee hoaxes, etc)

In all honesty, the actual release of the dossier at this point was not IMHO a planned act vs Trump.
It was Buzzfeed going gonzo for clicks.  When it was released it was almost instantly debunked left and right.
When it was not released, it was being used as the basis for "government intelligence sources say..." stories.
The stories tended to use weasel words to not actually lie, because they don't need to, implication works fine.
Which ironically, people gave more credence to than the actual report which can be factually assessed.
Likewise, no MSM story ever detailed claims of actual "Russian hacking of election" i.e subversion of vote...
But because phrases like that were thrown around like candy by MSM in editorial context,
we have polls showing 1/2 of Hillary voters believe that Russia literally hacked the election results. 

The whole Russia thing is a joke, there is no Manchurian Candidate scenario
when Trump publicly stated his policy re: productive relationship to Russia during the campaign.
People knew that was what was on offer, and that is what they voted for, that is policy that won election.
Hillary Clinton remains the only one with proven corrupt ties to foreign governments which she tried to cover up.
Hillary was backed by most of Republican establishment, i.e. the "establishment consensus" lost.  Deal with it.

According to other articles the dossier was around for quite a while. But it couldn't be verified so it wasn't reported. And it hasn't been debunked yet. Its still being investigated.

The CNN guy was not cool, but Trump was even less so. If this happened in any other country, everyone would be worried about freedom of the press.

onionberry said:
naruball said:

Yes you are. If Obama punched a Fox news reporter and I made a thread saying "that was cool", because FOX news is trash, I would absolutely be praising him for his action and encouraging him to do it again. 

Trump is setting a terrible precident. I now see even more clearly what Meryl Streep was talking about when she said that journalists need to be protected.

then I'm a monster.

Agreed.

bunchanumbers said:

According to other articles the dossier was around for quite a while.
But it couldn't be verified so it wasn't reported. 

But it WAS reported... indirectly.  
MSM were since October writing stories based on it, without spilling the entire dossier:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/veteran-spy-gave-fbi-info-alleging-russian-operation-cultivate-donald-trump

The recent brouhaha over "Intelligence briefings" about Russian compromise/blackmail of Trump were based on the report.
Those were instigated by Senator McCain giving the dossier to FBI and that was what these briefings were about.

And it's fine and normal for FBI etc to analyze all sources, but MSM coverage of briefings gave it more credibility than justified.
And that was DELIBERATE obfuscation, because MSM was IN POSSESSION of same dossier all along, yet didn't reveal that fact.
So they didn't think it newsworthy, yet were reporting news about briefing based on dossier which is not newsworthy.  OK.
They presented FBI briefings as being about some secret government intelligence, when they had the dossier themself.
They could have told public exactly what was happening, but they didn't, they left out relevant info while running stories about
"Donald Trump ignoring the serious briefings of intelligence agencies" when they knew exactly what the BS dossier was.

That is why I wrote the Buzzfeed publication of dossier, which was not secret government document and was widely circulated, 
was in almost all likelyhood NOT "part of the plan" because releasing it provided concrete basis for verification,
AS OPPOSED to the MSM reportage of the FBI/CIA "briefings" which were covering the allegations of the dossier.

Maybe a quote from Glen Greenwald's coverage of the story at The_Intercept will make it clearer:
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/11/the-deep-state-goes-to-war-with-president-elect-using-unverified-claims-as-dems-cheer/ 

One can certainly object to BuzzFeed’s decision and, as the New York Times noted this morning, many journalists are doing so. It’s almost impossible to imagine a scenario where it’s justifiable for a news outlet to publish a totally anonymous, unverified, unvetted document filled with scurrilous and inflammatory allegations about which its own editor-in-chief says there “is serious reason to doubt the allegations,” on the ground that they want to leave it to the public to decide whether to believe it.

But even if one believes there is no such case where that is justified, yesterday’s circumstances presented the most compelling scenario possible for doing this. Once CNN strongly hinted at these allegations, it left it to the public imagination to conjure up the dirt Russia allegedly had to blackmail and control Trump. By publishing these accusations, BuzzFeed ended that speculation. More importantly, it allowed everyone to see how dubious this document is, one the CIA and CNN had elevated into some sort of grave national security threat.

Around the Network

Sort of tangential, but relevant to MSM casual usage of "little lies" or "nuanced lies" is this other Greenwald story:
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/watch-how-casually-false-claims-are-published-nyt-and-nicholas-lemann-edition/
Which goes into MSM actually bizarre alteration of reality re: Snowden leaks and their own role in it.

LivingMetal said:
naruball said:

Yeah, that's why I never said he did. The example was fine. It demostrates how saying that something is "cool", is a form of praise. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the bolded, that's a pretty fucked up thing to say.

Wrong. The example you gave painted a harsher picture than what happened with Trump in an attempt to associate the aesthetics with Trump. Don't think you're fooling anyone. And about what I said, you take care of yourself by being blameless. CNN was not blameless. Therefore they got what they deserved.

Defend Trump all you want and paint me as the bad guy by jumping to conclusions all you want. I honestly don't care.

If CNN sang trumps praises he wouldn't care what their news covered.

Breaking: Tacky, vulgar people support tacky, vulgar rich person for president.