By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2016 NPD Thread! The Last Guardian and Dead Rising 4 sales up!

Is it still going back and forth?

The XB1 had a good year but the PS4 had a better year ending it by winning Dec NPD.

Hows that? No need to wiggle or wriggle ... just how it is.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Kerotan said:

Yep and I wish the Switch the best if luck.  I hope they can capture the casual audience again like they did with the Wii. Get those people off their phones and back to consoles again.  It would be great. 

That's why I hope they offer a Switch with 4G and mobile communication. There are a lot of poeple that only use smart phones for social and internet. A great gaming phone that delivered these basics could sell very well.

It doesn't look very promising for this model right now, but hopefully we are surprised. Without this, I don't feel very confident that they can do well, but I guess time will tell.

Is 4G really worth it when tethering is available on most devices?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

barneystinson69 said:
Neodegenerate said:

Yes.  Pointing out after being beaten for 7 out of 12 months that if you take a carefully curated view of only 6 of those 12 months that you won (ish) is in fact damage control.

Edit: Changed to 7 because didn't they win April or something?

So winning 1/2 the year is damage control? Why do people always assume it's damage control, when they stated it was up YOY and win the last 6 months of the year. It just means the holiday season was on a knife edge, and the PS4 barely won.

They didn't win half the year.  They won 4 months for a gap in their favor of ~350K, I believe.  Sony won the last two months of the year, which not only means that they have the momentum, but it also means the XBO's gap for those months was dwindled down to probably ~50K.  Not much to brag about since Sony beat them for the whole year.

Bandorr said:
hudsoniscool said:

What bet?  

"Would anyone care to take a bet on who one December? I bet XBO beats PS4 by >150k (honestly, I think it's more likely it'll be by >250k). "

I believe you were the one that wrote that?

I didn't say that. I've never done a bet in my life about video games.  I predicted if I recall 950kish for PS4 and 1.05 for one. But I can't remember for sure on that.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

GribbleGrunger said:
Is it still going back and forth?

The XB1 had a good year but the PS4 had a better year ending it by winning Dec NPD.

Hows that? No need to wiggle or wriggle ... just how it is.

You are correct. Although Xbox almost certainly had a typical bad year outside of  a few big markets.

Around the Network
Areym said:
Slade6alpha said:

Yup, pretty much. And yeah, they both suck, but that makes sense as Jan is one of the worst months. 

The PS4 has Gravity Rush 2, Digimon World and KH2.8 coming out in january alone. Are they niche titles? Sure, but at least they got options and they still got RE7, Tales of Beseria and Yakuza 0 (the last two being console exclusive though)

Yakuza 0 is exclusive to the ps4, not console exclusive. See atlus tweet.

Namiirei said:
Areym said:

The PS4 has Gravity Rush 2, Digimon World and KH2.8 coming out in january alone. Are they niche titles? Sure, but at least they got options and they still got RE7, Tales of Beseria and Yakuza 0 (the last two being console exclusive though)

Yakuza 0 is exclusive to the ps4, not console exclusive. See atlus tweet.

Woops, thank you for that. I could have swore I saw that it was for PC too. 

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

A loss is a loss. Sony won in Microsoft's stronghold again. Although it is sonys strongest market as well. You could say if you look at the last year- 2 years that things are shifting towards and even battlefield but we will see if Xbox can hold up in the 'dead zone'. Idk if it can part of me says yes but looking at history tells a different story.

that being said I gotta say guys I feel like if someone even utters something positive about Microsoft they get hammered. It's true most of that is directed towards the most enthusiastic of the Xbox fans but ev n when I try to say something even mildly positive about Microsoft without putting down another console someone or multiple people come down hard.

jason1637 said:
FIT_Gamer said:

Well the Xbox One doesn't have any exclusive software announced yet that will be system seller. Maybe Forza 7 in September. 

Well Halo Wars 2 and SoD2 are pretty big IPs.

CGI-Quality said:
Jason, you put up a good fight!

Gloating aside, good month for the two!

The CGI master race 😀

Neither of those games are going to be console sellers. They are also launching in the same month as Horizon: Zero Dawn. 

hudsoniscool said:
A loss is a loss. Sony won in Microsoft's stronghold again. Although it is sonys strongest market as well. You could say if you look at the last year- 2 years that things are shifting towards and even battlefield but we will see if Xbox can hold up in the 'dead zone'. Idk if it can part of me says yes but looking at history tells a different story.

that being said I gotta say guys I feel like if someone even utters something positive about Microsoft they get hammered. It's true most of that is directed towards the most enthusiastic of the Xbox fans but ev n when I try to say something even mildly positive about Microsoft without putting down another console someone or multiple people come down hard.

That happens whenever anyone mentions any of the consoles in a positive light.  Hell look at all the people who were bashing Switch and the people who were excited for it BEFORE IT WAS EVEN REVEALED.

Or hell, look at how many people are attacking for saying that PS is still doing well and in the lead.  It's the nature of the internet and being on forums with passionate fan bases.  Sadly the logical conversations without personal (or console) attacks can be few and far between.