By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony needs to purchase Scalebound ASAP

Should Sony purchase the IP?

yes 157 42.66%

no 160 43.48%

someone else 51 13.86%

Total:368

As I said in the other thread - SONY already has Hideo Kojima and Death Stranding on their hands. They cant havd 2 potential long development cycle games

They just finally finished The Last Guardian as well.

Around the Network

Let's assume that Microsoft is willing to sell the IP for a reasonable price, and that Platinum (particularly Hideki Kamiya, who's had to take time off for mental health issues) still has any desire to go back to this, both of which are very big "ifs."

I'm still going to say no, largely going off my own suspicions as to how good this game is/could be. I suspect that Scalebound was having consistent trouble meeting deadlines because Platinum was either genuinely struggling to make the game play in a manner that was fun, or struggling to make the game work altogether (even the most recent 2016 trailer looks...very unfinished). Neither of those is a good spot for Sony to be in.

Then you have to start making connections with Platinum, who, from all reports, seem to be nowhere close to finishing the game, and given the need for several employees to take time off due to the stress of the job, are probably not in the best of states currently. Once Platinum is finally reorganized, you need to keep relations positive (something Microsoft apparently had trouble with) and hope that the studio can stay on track for a game like this. Those are by no means easy tasks, and either of those going wrong could significantly delay this game (again) or possibly derail it entirely. Neither of those are good for sales.

Alternatively, you could try to develop the rest of the game internally, or have another studio handle it, but the problem there is that you're starting from the ground up; with none of the work put in by Platinum so far. And at that point you're basically just telling another studio to finish some guy's idea for him, with no real sense of the direction he wanted it to go other than the bare essentials. That's a recipe for disaster.

In short, no. Games that spend a long time in development hell rarely turn out well. Sony would have to pay a ton of money up front for something with a minimal chance at success. Scalebound is far too risky for the reward it could potentially produce.

Ali_16x said:
jason1637 said:

Game started development in 2013 and was set to launch late 2016. 3 years is enough. They didnt reach their milestones as devs and project was scrapped.

Lmao, you're just proving our point. 3 years is not enough, you think that after 3 years most devs just stop and cancel a game? Horizon has been in development since 2010, it's still here. And it's not even that. I doubt you read that Kotaku article because there is no way you can defend Microsoft. They were giving a shitty amount of money, and obviously because they closed down.

You seemed to have missed the rest of what I said. They kept missing their milestones within those 3 yearsHoperi

SegataSanshiro said:
jason1637 said:

Game started development in 2013 and was set to launch late 2016. 3 years is enough. They didnt reach their milestones as devs and project was scrapped.

MS wanted a AAA game with a 5 million dollar budget and cancelled the game before 2016. They cancelled it a year after it was announced and it was announced in 2014.

The deal was made in late 2013 so thats when development happened. Also we dont know its budget and with the scope of the game it's safe to say it probably had a beefy budget. 

jason1637 said:
Ali_16x said:

Lmao, you're just proving our point. 3 years is not enough, you think that after 3 years most devs just stop and cancel a game? Horizon has been in development since 2010, it's still here. And it's not even that. I doubt you read that Kotaku article because there is no way you can defend Microsoft. They were giving a shitty amount of money, and obviously because they closed down.

You seemed to have missed the rest of what I said. They kept missing their milestones within those 3 yearsHoperi

And....why do you think games are delayed? Because they keep getting their milestones?

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
jason1637 said:

And....why do you think games are delayed? Because they keep getting their milestones?

The game was already for over a year and the development obviously wasn't going well. Also based on the scale of the game i doubt they didn't give them enough money because Platinum are the ones that knew how much the budget was and they agreed to make the game so they must have believed that they had enough. If they couldn't make a game with the budget they agreed to then that's on them. 

aLkaLiNE said:
Faust said:
Why? The game looked awful

This. Wasn't interested in it then and not interested in it now, everything about it looks cheesy.

Yup. Horizon and Nier being in same release time-line makes it worse, but even without those the game was still crap.
Honestly the only way I could see somebody liking Scalebound was in an ironic "it's so crap, it's so cheezy, it's good" way.
Or in some parochial consoles war perspective... Which leaves no reason for Sony to even look at the wreck.
If Sony wants to get into ironic so-cheezy-so-crappy-it's good, they can do better with an indy dev.

jason1637 said:
Ali_16x said:

The game was already for over a year and the development obviously wasn't going well. Also based on the scale of the game i doubt they didn't give them enough money because Platinum are the ones that knew how much the budget was and they agreed to make the game so they must have believed that they had enough. If they couldn't make a game with the budget they agreed to then that's on them. 

Jesus, you keep saying the same thing. And I still don't think you've even read the Kotaku article on Phantom Dust. They were given a small budget and they kept giving them more milestones without properly funding them. LMAO, they didn't even know they had to do a single player campaign until some guy at E3 said it would have a single player campaign. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q85SF8sj0 

And this video proves just what I've been saying, Microsoft being Microsft. They've done the same thing with Scalebound as they did with Phantom Dust and I think even Fable Legends.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

jason1637 said:
Ali_16x said:

Don't knwo where you get 3 years from when nothing was even made when it was announced. It was a CGI trailer. Development had yet to begin. There was no development in 2013. There is no 3 years. There is  ONE YEAR.

Turkish said:

This game looked incredible and if it is in trouble, Sony can definitely save the project with their world renown patience. It's one game that will add to PS4's library, 1 more RPG will not hurt it. Sony makes tons of amazing stuff happen this gen. We're talking about Hideki goddamn Kamiya! He's a top 10 best game auteur.

I would welcome Scalebound coming to PS4 in 2018.

WTF Microsoft? The one game I was waiting for on the Xbox platform, and you kill it!

Lol really!

Like what people said. Somehing went wrong in the production and I doubt anyone would pay $$$ to continue it. 

Pocky Lover Boy!