By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Little disapointed with Uncharted 4 ( some spoilers ) review.

I definitely agree the ratio of things is way off. I want to spend the majority of an Uncharted game shooting. When Naughty Dog focused on gunplay it was great. The stealth elements imported from The Last of Us opened up new possibilities, as did the increased verticality of certain stages.

I want to spend less time walking forward waiting for some conversation to trigger or, worse, sitting still for 15 minutes watching a cutscene. As you said, the storytelling is great, but it's too much of a good thing.

Had Naughty Dog made the entire game like the last few levels it would be the best of the series. But the first two thirds are so inconsistently paced.

Around the Network

I get from this that the action is so good that you wanted more.

like when you're watching a really good show and it's 1 hour long, but when it finish, it feels like you only watch 10mins.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I feel the opposite. The shooting is pretty rote, so I found it boring and tried stealth whenever possible. My favorite bits were just walking and talking.

I thought the storytelling not done in cutscenes was exceptional, though not really on the same level as Oxenfree. Still, quite above pretty much everything else out there.

I can't really say I'm disappointed in U4 (I'm near the end), but it's definitely not a game that impressed me. It's a very solid game with a lot of shine and spectacle that probably distracts from pretty mediocre gameplay - especially the platforming, shooting, "puzzles," and set pieces. Mediocre doesn't mean bad, though. Just kind of bog standard.

I'm never impressed by graphics as they always age, but the game is beautiful even on an artistic level. It's really the storytelling that's carrying it for me, though that's only the parts where you're in direct control of Nathan.

I liked it a lot. When I was playing it, I repeatedly felt like it was the best game ever. I guess that, in that regard, it was a triumph.

Then, I thought about it. I realized I spent a lot of time just moving along a guided path with no ability to fail. The excitement was manufactured by set pieces that didn't really require skill.

My favorite part, the combat, was perfected in this hand and cut back so much compared to the other games. I tried to pace myself and only play a little each day. Maybe an hour or two. I would go forever without any real action!

Not bad at all, but I guess my "next gen hardware" expectations were too high.

Plus, I didn't really like Sam.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I definitely agree the ratio of things is way off. I want to spend the majority of an Uncharted game shooting. When Naughty Dog focused on gunplay it was great. The stealth elements imported from The Last of Us opened up new possibilities, as did the increased verticality of certain stages.

I want to spend less time walking forward waiting for some conversation to trigger or, worse, sitting still for 15 minutes watching a cutscene. As you said, the storytelling is great, but it's too much of a good thing.

Had Naughty Dog made the entire game like the last few levels it would be the best of the series. But the first two thirds are so inconsistently paced.

I think the ratio of cutscnes is ok, what feels wrong is the big open areas that have almost no shooting parts, the "safari level " is a example, there is this big open area but you have like 1 or 2 shooting sections that last less than 5 minutes each, its basicly exploring and finding clues all the time.  This game does everything almost perfectly but i needed and was expecting way more shooting parts.

I actually didn't mind "The Twelve Towers" or "At Sea" -- especially as the latter reminded me of the motorboat sequence in Skyward Sword. Exploring and puzzle-solving was, for me, a nice break from fighting. 

The chapter that bothered me more was "The Brothers Drake." It's basically an entire chapter of exposition. From a gameplay perspective it brings nothing new or exciting to the table.

Around the Network

I feel the same about shooting. I'm one of the few that truly loves the first game, and that's mainly because of the constant shootouts. 4 just didn't have enough of them for my liking.

d21lewis said:

I guess my "next gen hardware" expectations were too high.

I don't know what you expected "next gen hardware" would do to make combat better or different. More power isn't going to fundementally improve or change standard cover shooting. Or did you expect "next gen hardware" to mean less talking and more shooting? I don't understand.

I don't know what it is with Naughty Dog but they can't do decent puzzles. It's like the cater for the lowest common denominator.

spemanig said:
d21lewis said:

I guess my "next gen hardware" expectations were too high.

I don't know what you expected "next gen hardware" would do to make combat better or different. More power isn't going to fundementally improve or change standard cover shooting. Or did you expect "next gen hardware" to mean less talking and more shooting? I don't understand.

Whenever new hardware comes out, you imagine (well, maybe not you personally) everything being taken to the next level. Gameplay, innovation, graphics, drama. Yeah, maybe it's not a fair expectation but isn't that why we buy new hardware? Look at something like the Metal Gear series. From hardware to hardware, the envelope was constantly pushed harder and harder.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
d21lewis said:
I liked it a lot. When I was playing it, I repeatedly felt like it was the best game ever. I guess that, in that regard, it was a triumph.

Then, I thought about it. I realized I spent a lot of time just moving along a guided path with no ability to fail. The excitement was manufactured by set pieces that didn't really require skill.

My favorite part, the combat, was perfected in this hand and cut back so much compared to the other games. Not bad at all, but I guess my "next gen hardware" expectations were too high.

Plus, I didn't really like Sam.

Did you like Nadine ?

I thought she was cool. I actually wanted to see more of her!