Forums - Website Topics - The Moderator Thread

padib said:

There seems to be more severity towards trolling Sony than trolling Nintendo or Microsoft. 

You have got to be kidding.

Around the Network

If he had a history of trolling/semitrolling then that should put more weight in the comment he is banned for even when it was more subtle,there are more people that constantly tread the borders of what is accepted on this forum but i assume most cases get monitored for a good amount of time till a ban drops.

Ka-pi96 said:
RolStoppable said:

The only two objectionable points in the post were the claim that Japanese gamers are smarter than the rest of the world (or the rest of the world is dumber than Japan, depending on how you want to look at it)

That's not entirely accurate. He's more claiming that people who buy Sony/Microsoft products are dumber than those that buy Nintendo products.

Correct, I forgot to spell this out in my post. What you said is why it is objectionable to praise Japan.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

padib said:

There seems to be more severity towards trolling Sony than trolling Nintendo or Microsoft.

What a load.

Many Nintendo threads are able to stay on topic without much negativity but PS/Xbox threads are often swarmed with Nintendo users acting up.
Why do you think so many PS/Xbox users have left VGC?

Hynad said:
padib said:

You have got to be kidding.

I have a hunch that padib (in his post as a whole) was hinting at you getting away with too much.

Replicant said:
padib said:

What a load.

Many Nintendo threads are able to stay on topic without much negativity but PS/Xbox threads are often swarmed with Nintendo users acting up.
Why do you think so many PS/Xbox users have left VGC?

Regarding Xbox users, I'd say they left because for a long time PS fans had more or less a free-for-all when it came to attacking Xbox.

Regarding PS users, they left because every now and then it isn't a free-for-all when attacking other platforms. The thread that initiated the current discussion here is a good example. The original post is all about Microsoft being doomed to be stuck in place, but the biggest issue in the thread is when someone dares to say that it's Sony who will lose market share.

Another example of PS fans getting away with more dates back a couple of days ago when Pemalite was asked if he's really that dumb as well as being accused of trolling because of his PC vs. PS5 comparisons.

Generally speaking, it's a lot more common for a PS fan who steps over the line to get a friendly reminder by a moderator than it is for fans of other platforms. Also, at times the ban notes for PS fans almost seem apologetic when it was essentially unavoidable to use the ban hammer after a series of troll posts.

Lastly, elaborate on what you consider Nintendo fans acting up.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said: 

*snip*

I'm too old for your games, Rol.

See you in a month or two.

Replicant said:
RolStoppable said: 

*snip*

I'm too old for your games, Rol.

See you in a month or two.

Fine by me. Your previous post can be filed under empty accusations. Case closed.

RolStoppable said:

Another example of PS fans getting away with more dates back a couple of days ago when Pemalite was asked if he's really that dumb as well as being accused of trolling because of his PC vs. PS5 comparisons.

He didn't get away with it. And I brought it up in the mod thread.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Chinese food for breakfast

Bandorr said:

The post very much was made to troll and bait Sony users. There is zero doubt in there.

He tried to pass off "opinions" as facts which I think rob the points of any sense or merit.

The ban date seems long.. but the dude has a long, long history of this.

Disagreed.

Being negative and critical of Sony's promotion of PS5 and questioning what improvements PS5 will bring, while we know almost nothing about the console itself other than it's weaker than the next Xbox and has a new controller, isn't really trolling or baiting Sony users. The promotion of PS5 has been poor at best thus far and anyone has a right to question what the next console will bring to the table while the competition are bringing positive improvements and ideas. It doesn't matter if you're a die-hard Nintendo guy pointing out these faults, it doesn't matter if you have a long history of trolling in PlayStation topics. If you have a valid addition to the discussion it deserves to be heard.

Furthermore, reading his post it's not entirely clear that he's trying to pass off opinions as facts. Based on what we know right now... Nintendo's 3rd party support is as good as it's been in decades, Nintendo's 1st party is and always has been far beyond the competition and Nintendo will continue to control the Japanese market. Xbox isn't launching with a forced peripheral to go for Nintendo's market and they're launching a platform stronger than the competition. He says he *thinks* they will undercut Sony in price. Saying Sony played on easymode with PS4 isn't controversial when you consider the disasters of WiiU and early Xbox One, while saying it's a certainty they wont have similar success next generation absolutely is *not* worthy of any kind of moderation.

Outside of this, the problem with hitting people with harsh moderation for trying to pass off opinions as facts comes when you have to remain consistent in your moderation. Not only is nit-picky and strong arming, but it also sets a precedent for what other users will expect from the mod team and what is and isn't acceptable.

A senior moderator really should explain the thought process behind this ban and what exactly Pyro as Bill did wrong. Not only for clarification on this decision, but for clarification in what is and isn't deemed acceptable posting etiquette on the forums.