By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Seeing certain reactions in my Nintendo report thread, I agree with moderation of those who refuse to accept facts.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Seeing certain reactions in my Nintendo report thread, I agree with moderation of those who refuse to accept facts.

I hope this is directed at the people insisting it was sold through and not those who were rightly saying it was shipped. xD

Barkley said:
OTBWY said:

I hope this is directed at the people insisting it was sold through and not those who were rightly saying it was shipped. xD

Nobody knows 100% yet, all we know is sold = sold. And that is a fact.

Saying that it only 12,3m sold through (in consumers' hands) is a downplay tactic and it always comes from the same people. It's annoying.

OTBWY said:
Barkley said:

Nobody knows 100% yet, all we know is sold = sold. And that is a fact.

Saying that it only 12,3m sold through (in consumers' hands) is a downplay tactic and it always comes from the same people. It's annoying.

There is a difference between shipped and sold through. There could be product sitting in a warehouse or store and not in the actual hands of consumers.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Aeolus451 said:

There is a difference between shipped and sold through. There could be product sitting in a warehouse or store and not in the actual hands of consumers.

This is an interesting test case.

If I dig into this and discover that one of the two people above is arguing against facts, should that person be moderated?

But I'm not seeing a "refusal to acknowledge facts" here from either of them...

I guess you could say OTBWY is refusing to acknowledge the numbers are shipped, but that would seem harsh considering the circumstances, and he's not being a dick about it.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

If I dig into this and discover that one of the two people above is arguing against facts, should that person be moderated?

But I'm not seeing a "refusal to acknowledge facts" here from either of them...

I guess you could say OTBWY is refusing to acknowledge the numbers are shipped, but that would seem harsh considering the circumstances, and he's not being a dick about it.

Saying that less than 2m of shipped 5m is sold through is rejecting reality.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Aeolus451 said:

If you wanted to apply that rule universally, yep. 😹

This time I voted in favor of modding willful ignorance. The most obnoxious kind. Still hoping a wide berth is given on such matters. As well, I'm curious to know if the thumbs up/thumbs down voting present in the news and articles has ever been a topic of conversation? At it's worst, all it does is afford fanboys the opportunity to downvote innocuous comments with anonymity, simply because it's about a console brand they don't like. Or maybe they downvote another member because they have a personal issue. It's not a particularly large problem, but I feel it has drawbacks, and maybe doesn't help foster the most civil environment on that part of the site. Then again, I do see the appeal of lazily giving the thumbs down to dumbasses and troublemakers.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 01 February 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

spurgeonryan said:
COKTOE said:
This time I voted in favor of modding willful ignorance. The most obnoxious kind. Still hoping a wide birth is given on such matters. As well, I'm curious to know if the thumbs up/thumbs down voting present in the news and articles has ever been a topic of conversation? At it's worst, all it does is afford fanboys the opportunity to downvote innocuous comments with anonymity, simply because it's about a console brand they don't like. Or maybe they downvote another member because they have a personal issue. It's not a particularly large problem, but I feel it has drawbacks, and maybe doesn't help foster the most civil environment on that part of the site. Then again, I do see the appeal of lazily giving the thumbs down to dumbasses and troublemakers.

I use my 4 upvote power to upvote anything  I see that is low that I feel should not be.

Well, sure, I do that too. Sometimes I even act as a VGC upvote fairy, giving out upvotes to comments I don't even particularly like.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

CGI-Quality said:
COKTOE said:
This time I voted in favor of modding willful ignorance. The most obnoxious kind. Still hoping a wide birth is given on such matters. As well, I'm curious to know if the thumbs up/thumbs down voting present in the news and articles has ever been a topic of conversation? At it's worst, all it does is afford fanboys the opportunity to downvote innocuous comments with anonymity, simply because it's about a console brand they don't like. Or maybe they downvote another member because they have a personal issue. It's not a particularly large problem, but I feel it has drawbacks, and maybe doesn't help foster the most civil environment on that part of the site. Then again, I do see the appeal of lazily giving the thumbs down to dumbasses and troublemakers.

The voting process has been discussed before. I believe our conclusion was.....grow thicker skin!

:) Fair enough. Was wanting to bring it up before, and was reminded tonight when I clicked on an article a few times and saw things fluctuating pretty rapidly.