By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch 10 Day Countdown: Day 2 Gameboy/GB Color favorite Games!/Memories/etc?

Im one of the few that never played pokemon. I was never into it. Bought Pokemon Sun and I still feel the same about the franchise.

But I was really into the Zelda games, Links awakening being my favourite one.

I remember playing Mystic Quest as a child as one of my most beloved memories of my childhood. I loved the music so much and the gameplay got me obsessed.

Beating Super Mario Land was one of the first moments I felt like a boss. That game was so hard for me as a 6-7 year old. The sequel blow my mind as well. I loved that game.

The kirby and wario games were super cool and fun to play, and I spent hours upon hours playing tetris, dr mario and a pinball game with a crocodile.

Loved the DK games as well.

Im sure Im forgetting some games, the game boy was incredible!

We had to buy another gameboy because my brother was robbed and it felt like a big deal to us. Funny how that little machine with no backlight, small screen and in black & white was so much fun, it gave us so many good moments as kids.

Can't stop loving Nintendo since that day, no other company makes me feel the same way while playing. There's always a game that makes me feel the same way I felt as a child. That's the Nintendo magic for me.

Around the Network

It's a Pokémon game but I loved Pokémon pinball. Too bad it and my "import" of Gold were taken with my Coat while I was working. (The import was a ROM rip that they did a terrible job with the battery back up. It was one the first items I ever bought online from overseas.

Pokemon seems like the obvious answer here (though I did enjoy Pokemon Gold on the GBC and it is my 5th favorite game of all time).

I actually have much fonder memories of Kirby: Tilt 'n Tumble, strange as it may seem. I remember getting a Game Boy as a gift, and I was familiar with Kirby after playing Smash Bros. on the N64. Though gyro controls came naturally to me somehow, and it became one of my favorite handheld games that has yet to be re-released for any other platform. Sad.

Yes, GameBoy and GameBoy Color. Still the best handhelds ever created. I first got my GameBoy near the end of the lifetime of the big classic GameBoy halfway through the '90s. Then with Pokémon I got a GameBoy Pocket and finally, it must not have been much later, a GameBoy Color with Link's Awakening DX. The games that resonated most with me are;

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Pokémon Blue Version
Alleyway
Tennis
Super Mario Land

Immediately after playing Link's Awakening, I was convinced it was brilliant. And that thought never changed. With every subsequent playthrough over the years, my feeling that this is the greatest handheld game ever made was further cemented. Because I had the colored DX version first though, I played it only late in the system's cycle. Afterwards I did get the original black/white, well dark-grey/greenish-yellow, version of it.

GameBoy life for me started with Tetris (which was bundled), Alleyway, Tennis, Donkey Kong Land and Super Mario Land. I immediately liked the Mario game more than those on NES and SNES. It was probably because of the Ancient-Egypt theme of the first world and the box-art. I played it a lot, but I got more addicted to both Alleyway and Tennis. Alleyway is a Breakout clone, and quite a good one. I played it continuesly during our holidays in France. Tennis was similar. I didn't really understand the rules of the game much though so I got frustrated when Mario would call a shot "out" when I thought it was "in".

The real deal though was Pokémon Blue. I was maybe just a tad too old, by a year or maybe two, but when this came out it was everywhere. Everybody talked about it. I never saw anything that was as huge as Pokémon during those days. And I was really into it for a time. The cartridge I still have bears a reminder of my dog, who once tried to eat my GameBoy Color. My first (I re-bought it afterwards) Link's Awakening cartridge was shattered, and the Pokémon cartridge has a big hole where it's tooth sunk in, but still worked tremendously.

Only ever played Kirby, some random Looney tunes game (?), and of course Pokemon. Gold/Silver/Crystal are timeless.

Around the Network

For me it was Tetris and Metroid 2. Pokémon Yellow comes in third.

Signature goes here!

• Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Super Mario Land 1+2
  • Link's Awakening
  • Metroid II
  • Gargoyle's Quest

Super Mario Land 2 and pokémon (gen 1 and 2) for me. Also, Super Mario Bros. DX in my Gbc was great for me (my first nostalgia based bought game!!!!). Didn't have many games for my gb, though, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Pokemon Red/Blue. The game that started the series!

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Pokemon Blue/Red
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Bomberman GB 2
Bomberman GB 3