By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. January bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Aura7541 said:

Well, MS is doing whatever they can do to increase XB1 sales and ultimately, maximize revenue. Heck, the amount of money MS put into advertising for December was astronomical, lol. I'm not saying what MS has been doing is right, but at the same time, it's also understandable.

I highly doubt a new disc format will be introduced soon. Sony will include 4K Bluray in the PS5 considering by the time it releases, 4K playback will be more widely adopted.

It makes sense, especially considering that I don't see a real demand (now or in the future) for 4K Blu-Ray: streaming is the new medium.

Around the Network

7 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#15 PS4s UC4 Bundle (down 2)
#34 NES (up 11)
#36 NiS (down 13)*
#48 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (up 2)
#62 PS4Pro (down 3)
#97 XB1s-500gb Minecraft Bundle (re-entry)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)**
#05 NiS Breath Of The Wild (same)
#08 3DS Fire Emblem Echoes (down 1)
#09 PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD (up 1)
#10 NiS Super Bomberman R (down 1)
#12 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (down 1)
#18 PS4 Yakuza 0 (down 2)
#35 PS4 Tales Of Berseria (down 2)
#91 PS4 Digimon World (up 7)

PS4:
2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NiS:  1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

Does not affect this month:
Software outside of the month only gets added if it's in the top 20: **

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

HARDWARE
#15 PS4s UC4 Bundle (down 2)
#34 NES (up 11)
#36 NiS (down 13)*
#48 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (up 2)
#62 PS4Pro (down 3)
#97 XB1s-500gb Minecraft Bundle (re-entry)

#08 3DS Fire Emblem Echoes (down 1)
#09 PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD (up 1)
#10 NiS Super Bomberman R (down 1)
#12 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (down 1)
#18 PS4 Yakuza 0 (down 2)
#35 PS4 Tales Of Berseria (down 2)

PS4:
2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NiS:  1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

It's never not weird to see "NES" on the bestseller list...in 2017.

RJ_Sizzle said:

Slow down there, Chauncy. This is the goal of every console maker... or frankly, anyone with something to sell. You're hitting the victim mode a little too hard. Coming out on top in NPD is an irrelevant metric, really. It's interesting to talk about on the internet, or if your name is Aaron Greenberg. 2nd place doesn't mean 1st loser. Xbox 360 came out on top in most NPDs last gen, but were still neck in neck wtih PS4 sales worldwide. You don't want to spend the entire gen burning cash to get the product out there when that money could be used elsewhere.

So what's really better in the end, selling more of a product at the cost of a massive revenue loss, or selling less and making a profit? Doing fine is being able to sell the product on its own merits and gradually bringing down the price when it's cost effective, not eating away at revenue to save face for a PR move.

Showing your console can win in sales is very relevent, its part of MS strategy and reason why its actully managing to compete with the PS4 rather then being dominated liek GC Xbox was or even more embarresingly being the wiiu.  

Luckly for MS well they are MS so they can affored all this, and i trust their reasonig for doing things how they are way more then i do yours lol.  

Intrinsic said:

Its an al round stupid strategy. The PS4 keeps winning most months because they always have something good either coming or just around the corner. All year round or globally. 

MS just seems to be making a lot of very deliberate stupid decisions. And that stupidity gets lost in the odd NPD win or three. They have a very bleak first party output, to add to that they even cancel games.... I doubt they have the luxury to be cancelling their exclusives right now. Theen they release their games on PC which gives even less reason to won an XB1. Its very telling if the most differentiating thing the XB1 has over the PS4 is that ita a 4k movie player. 

And lets not forget that last fall they spent almost twice as much on marketing (unless I am mistaken) one teh XB1 than sony did on the PS4. Yet in the first three months of the year we get more than two sony funded exclusives and nothing for the XB1. That all just screams that there money would have ben better spent adding value to their platform via exclusive content (which is all exclusives really do) than to be screaming how good a 4k bluray player it is.

I am saying all this cause I really wonder what MS is thinking. Just so many bad decisions. 

They are alive and well selling consoles, going punch for punch with the PS4 in the worlds largest gaming market.  Could be way worse, if you think so many bad decisions tell me what you think about nintendos.  At least MS is competing and relevent.  

Around the Network
Egelo said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

Slow down there, Chauncy. This is the goal of every console maker... or frankly, anyone with something to sell. You're hitting the victim mode a little too hard. Coming out on top in NPD is an irrelevant metric, really. It's interesting to talk about on the internet, or if your name is Aaron Greenberg. 2nd place doesn't mean 1st loser. Xbox 360 came out on top in most NPDs last gen, but were still neck in neck wtih PS4 sales worldwide. You don't want to spend the entire gen burning cash to get the product out there when that money could be used elsewhere.

So what's really better in the end, selling more of a product at the cost of a massive revenue loss, or selling less and making a profit? Doing fine is being able to sell the product on its own merits and gradually bringing down the price when it's cost effective, not eating away at revenue to save face for a PR move.

Showing your console can win in sales is very relevent, its part of MS strategy and reason why its actully managing to compete with the PS4 rather then being dominated liek GC Xbox was or even more embarresingly being the wiiu.  

Luckly for MS well they are MS so they can affored all this, and i trust their reasonig for doing things how they are way more then i do yours lol.  

I don't know why people still have that mentality. MS can afford to do a lot of things... but they don't. They could afford to see Scalebound through, they can afford to keep Lionhead open, and can afford not to do layoffs, but it still happens. MS has cash to burn, but it doesn't mean Xbox will always get it. Winning NPDs isn't really good for anything but social media hype, it usually comes down to slashing the prices on the console and freebies to get the console to move anyway. Joe Public could really care less about how many months a console has come ahead in any given year, just one that's not priced out of their range and has the games they like.

And newsflash, they are being dominated by Sony right now. Like, over 2 to 1. 

All this arguing and I'm still wondering if those defending MS's firesale tactics realize that behavior is conditioning consumers to 1) view the Xbox as the cheap, less desirable alternative to the cool PS4 and 2) wait for the console to get even cheaper because it seems a better deal is always just a couple month's hold out away. Fire sales are good for jumpstarting, they are not a longterm strategy. Hence why Xbone interest absolutely craters after the holidays and don't go back up until whenever MS does a crazy huge deal.

RJ_Sizzle said:
Egelo said:

I don't know why people still have that mentality. MS can afford to do a lot of things... but they don't. They could afford to see Scalebound through, they can afford to keep Lionhead open, and can afford not to do layoffs, but it still happens. MS has cash to burn, but it doesn't mean Xbox will always get it. Winning NPDs isn't really good for anything but social media hype, it usually comes down to slashing the prices on the console and freebies to get the console to move anyway. Joe Public could really care less about how many months a console has come ahead in any given year, just one that's not priced out of their range and has the games they like.

And newsflash, they are being dominated by Sony right now. Like, over 2 to 1. 

lmao exactly, even MS cant burn cash foolishly.  So their strategy must be logical and feasable if they are continuing it.  

Better then 5-1 the wiiu suffered.

15 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#16 PS4s UC4 Bundle (down 1)
#35 NES (down 1)
#37 NiS (down 1)*
#50 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (down 2)
#59 PS4Pro (up 3)

#08 PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD (up 1)
#09 3DS Fire Emblem Echoes (down 1)
#11 NiS Super Bomberman R (down 1)
#13 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (down 1)
#18 PS4 Yakuza 0 (same)
#33 PS4 Tales Of Berseria (down 2)

PS4:
XB1:
1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

The PS5 Exists. 

HARDWARE

#16 PS4s UC4 Bundle (same)
#37 NES (down 2)
#49 NiS (down 12)*
#55 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (down 5)
#63 PS4Pro (down 4)
#99 XB1s-500gb Minecraft Bundle (re-entry)

#03 NiS Breath Of The Wild (up 2)
#08 PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD (same)
#09 3DS Fire Emblem Echoes (same)
#12 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (up 1)
#13 NiS Super Bomberman R (down 2)
#20 PS4 Yakuza 0 (down 2)
#34 PS4 Tales Of Berseria (down 1)

PS4:
XB1:
2 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5

The PS5 Exists.