By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. January bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Hmmmm, why's the XB1s dropping so much?

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Hmmmm, why's the XB1s dropping so much?

NO GAMES

/s

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Pionner said:

Well i did say maybe. =)

Really though, i just think pre order sales are keeping it up there. Nothing else right now is going sell as much as a new system. It'll fall but much slower than usual. Don't forget Nintendo's artificial demand tactic keeping people pre ordering.

But there aren't any to preorder, that's what I mean. They've been out of stock for well over a day now. Usually Amazon get an allocation of preorders and once they run out the console starts to drop down the charts. It happened with the Pro preorders and the XB1s preorders. I suppose Nintendo might have just told Amazon to keep taking preorders because they'll just meet that demand with the next allocation? That could be it actually.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Pionner said:

Well i did say maybe. =)

Really though, i just think pre order sales are keeping it up there. Nothing else right now is going sell as much as a new system. It'll fall but much slower than usual. Don't forget Nintendo's artificial demand tactic keeping people pre ordering.

But there aren't any to preorder, that's what I mean. They've been out of stock for well over a day now. Usually Amazon get an allocation of preorders and once they run out the console starts to drop down the charts. It happened with the Pro preorders and the XB1s preorders. I suppose Nintendo might have just told Amazon to keep taking preorders because they'll just meet that demand with the next allocation? That could be it actually.

Yeah, I could see that being the case.  Would also explain why this has happened in the past on rare occassions.

Nuvendil said:

Yeah, I could see that being the case.  Would also explain why this has happened in the past on rare occassions.

The thing is though, other stores don't seem to be able to do this. Clearly Gamestop have to wait for their next allocation of preorders before they can take them:

GRAPEVINE, Texas, Jan. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GameStop, a family of specialty retail brands that makes the most popular technologies affordable and simple, has reserved all of its first allotment of Nintendo Switch systems.

On Friday, the retailer began taking reservations for the Nintendo Switch online and in its more than 3,900 stores nationwide.

“The fact that this initial allotment has been completely reserved in a matter of a few days demonstrates gamers desire for this fun and revolutionary gaming system,” said Bob Puzon, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop. “We’re working closely with Nintendo to get additional Nintendo Switch units, and will let our customers know when they become available. We encourage customers to visit www.gamestop.com/switch and sign up to be get updates about the product and availability.”

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Nuvendil said:

The thing is though, other stores don't seem to be able to do this. Clearly Gamestop have to wait for their next allocation of preorders before they can take them:

GRAPEVINE, Texas, Jan. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GameStop, a family of specialty retail brands that makes the most popular technologies affordable and simple, has reserved all of its first allotment of Nintendo Switch systems.

On Friday, the retailer began taking reservations for the Nintendo Switch online and in its more than 3,900 stores nationwide.

“The fact that this initial allotment has been completely reserved in a matter of a few days demonstrates gamers desire for this fun and revolutionary gaming system,” said Bob Puzon, senior vice president of merchandising at GameStop. “We’re working closely with Nintendo to get additional Nintendo Switch units, and will let our customers know when they become available. We encourage customers to visit www.gamestop.com/switch and sign up to be get updates about the product and availability.”

Hmmm, true, but every company does handle this differently.  I know that GameStop reportedly handles their business a bit differently than your other retailers.  So those differences could be it I suppose.  Would have to hear from Walmart, Target, and Best Buy to see if it's just GameStop's business model or if this is more of a widespread issue which would mean Amazon is the anomoly.  

Nuvendil said:

Hmmm, true, but every company does handle this differently.  I know that GameStop reportedly handles their business a bit differently than your other retailers.  So those differences could be it I suppose.  Would have to hear from Walmart, Target, and Best Buy to see if it's just GameStop's business model or if this is more of a widespread issue which would mean Amazon is the anomoly.  

We'll know soon enough but regardless of the ins and outs of Amazon, it looks like the Switch will have a healthy launch.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Nuvendil said:

We'll know soon enough but regardless of the ins and outs of Amazon, it looks like the Switch will have a healthy launch.

was that ever in doubt?

I am honestly not going to start paying attention to the switch sales till around january next year. I expect them to sell at least 7M NiS units this year.

If the switch somehow doesn't win november or december this year then I may start paying attention then. Cause then it becomes more interesting. 

Does anyone really think a launch console would be the bet selling hardware barring any shortages for the majority of this year if not all of it once launched?

1,2 Switch way ahead of ARMs and Xenoblade 2

turrible

Nautilus said:
May mean nothing in the end, since we dont have actual numbers and the shipments given to gamestop could be small, but its good news for Switch nonetheless(thought this would be relevant to the discussion here)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/15/gamestop-sells-out-of-nintendo-switch-pre-orders?abthid=587bf06333e910774400000a

This is just how Nintendo does launches.  It's an old practice.  The first shipment is low so the item is guaranteed to sell out.  That way you can get massive buzz with countless stories about a product selling out and being told to "hurry up and get yours."  Really, I think Nintendo is the only one who still does this.  Happened with Wii U, too.