By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. January bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

GribbleGrunger said:
Jranation said:

Does this frequently happen on Amazon? 

No. When the Pro went out of stock it began to drop until it was back in stock again. It just makes sense really doesn't it. It looks like I'm going to need more than Jan and Feb to convince me Amazon is worth updating any more. I think Dec could just have been luck:

8 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#02 NiS Pinned Edition (same)*
#19 PS4s UC4 Bundle (up 1)
#67 XB1s-500gb Battlefield Bundle (up 2)
#81 NES Classic (up 5)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)
#01 NiS Breath Of The Wild (same)
#04 WiiU Breath Of The Wild (down 1)
#07 NiS Mario Kart 8 Delux (same)
#08 NiS Super Mario Odyssey (same)
#10 NiS Breath Of The Wild SE (down 1)
#15 NiS Splatoon 2 (same)
#20 NiS 1-2 Switch (down 3)
#21 PS4 Kingdom Hearts HD (same)
#65 PS4 Gravity Rush 2 (up 10)
#75 PS4 Tales Of Berseria (up 9)

PS4:
1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
XB1:
1 in the top 100 / 0 in the top 50 / 0 in the top 20 / 0 in the top 10 / 0 in the top 5
NiS: 1 in the top 100 / 1 in the top 50 / 1 in the top 20 / 1 in the top 10 / 1 in the top 5

Does not affect this month *

Still number #02 eight hours later and 'currently out of stock'. It's been nearly 24 hours now and a console that isn't selling has been at #01 for all that time and #02 for the rest. How can we possibly trust the Amazon charts any more?

Do notice that the method of calculation isn't actually mentionned for th hourly updates (just that it gets recalculated every hour.) Could be some kind of continuous function, with recency gaining traction, but high sales from 2 days ago also having an effect.

I doubt that they are manually pinning certain items.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
I hope that Nintendo won't push games like "ARMS" for the Switch. The new Mario and Zelda will be awesome sellers for Switch's first yearin the market. I wonder how they will do in the USA, Read Dead Redemption can eat some of their sales if it isn't on the Switch.

Whats Wrong with Arms?

Amazon doesn't manipulate the hourly charts. Hourly's aren't an exact placement and we have had situations where an item is out of stock but take a while to start dropping. Switch probably got preordered so much that it is still considered a top selling product days later because of how the hourly charts actually work. If I had to guess, the hourly's are actually more of trend of how well an item sells compared to everything else for a certain period of time, and not direct unit sales for the last hour.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Libara said:

Fairly certain Amazon don't need to manipulate anything for Switch popularity. But if they are surely that renders this thread completely pointless as what is stopping them from manipulating past and future items, from any company...

Where have you been for the last few months? Don't make the mistake of thinking this is some 'fanboy' drivel, this is a concern I've had with Amazon for ages now and but for Dec would have stopped updating the charts. I'm still not convinced Amazon is back to normal because what we're seeing here shouldn't (IMO) be happening.

The PS5 Exists. 

Welfare said:
Amazon doesn't manipulate the hourly charts. Hourly's aren't an exact placement and we have had situations where an item is out of stock but take a while to start dropping. Switch probably got preordered so much that it is still considered a top selling product days later because of how the hourly charts actually work. If I had to guess, the hourly's are actually more of trend of how well an item sells compared to everything else for a certain period of time, and not direct unit sales for the last hour.

Thank you, I was just about to post something like this, but you pretty much summed it up. Amazon is the easiest place to reserve systems like Switch, so I'm sure they did a large amount of sales when it was available. As you said, other items have sold a large amount, sold out, and then remained at the top of the charts for days (Amiibos come to mind, as do certain Xbox and PS4 sales during Black Friday and Cyber Monday and such). 

Also (not just to Welfare, but in general) unless the Switch is going to completely tank (unlikely), of course it's going to top the charts for a time. It's a new system (not just an upgrade to an already existing system with a very capable cheaper option, like the Pro and, likely, Scorpio) by a company that has been regaining some popularity over the last year, it had better have a good launch. Whether it gains any momentum from that launch or begins to waver, like the Wii U did, remains to be seen. 

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
I hope that Nintendo won't push games like "ARMS" for the Switch. The new Mario and Zelda will be awesome sellers for Switch's first yearin the market. I wonder how they will do in the USA, Read Dead Redemption can eat some of their sales if it isn't on the Switch.

I dont know.People said the same thing about Splatoon and look at what happened.I think ARMS has the potential to repeat that in my opinion.People already have a really good impression with what was shown(including hands on impression) and if they come and say that it has a good single player and it has other modes that I think they said it has, with a good marketing push it could sell really well and who knows, push some consoles

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

People are trying to downplay the Switch so hard. But you know what? The thing definitely gets the attention of people. Not just here and in other gaming forums, also in social media and YouTube. EVERYONE is talking about the damn thing, that's free PR right there.

Ok, there are a lot of negative voices. But I remember a little thing that was announced 10 years ago. A little device that was discussed everywhere to death and many people hat a whole loz of reasons why the device will fail big time. The thing I'm talking about was called iPhone.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Bandorr said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It's meaningless because it's been out of stock all day. There's no way it should even be in the top 20 right now and clearly Amazon are manipulating the charts at the moment.

On one hand I think it may be a little weird to think Amazon is manipulating anything.

No need for a conspiracy theory here. Obviously Amazon is using a smoothing formula for its charts. NiS obviously outordered the next best thing by magnitudes initially, hence the thing can stay on top of the list for many hours, even several days depending on the formula.

Swordmasterman said:

I'm more interested in seeing if they put the necessary emphasis on the fact ARMS has both morion and traditional controls.  That will be key to it reaching its full potential.

OdinHades said:

People are trying to downplay the Switch so hard. But you know what? The thing definitely gets the attention of people. Not just here and in other gaming forums, also in social media and YouTube. EVERYONE is talking about the damn thing, that's free PR right there.

Ok, there are a lot of negative voices. But I remember a little thing that was announced 10 years ago. A little device that was discussed everywhere to death and many people hat a whole loz of reasons why the device will fail big time. The thing I'm talking about was called iPhone.

It's par of the course for all new systems. The most important aspect is the longevity.