By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's 1st Million Seller In Japan Since 2004 Is ....

Not surprising. Sony has westernized their company a long time ago.

Around the Network

Fate/Grand Order on iOS is a SONY game that's been doing amazingly well in Japan, been the case for a while. SONY should go mobile

Mr Puggsly said:
animegaming said:

I'm curious if Sony is at all worried about the future home console gaming in Japan. Cause having only 1 game in the past 10 years that they published on handhelds speaks volumes of the current state of console gaming.

Or Sony's terrible handheld support.

I've been saying for years Sony doesn't really care about Japan because its a relatively niche market. On top of that, its a shrinking console market.

I think MS, Sony, and Nintendo are trying to prepare for a world where consoles are less relevant while still reaching a large userbase.

I don't know about that, Nintendo's Japan software sales are pretty insane consistently for the last decade (even recently pretty damn good). Sony could have had great handheld Vita sales in Japan if they had given two shits and pushed some quality JRPG exclusives or something on the Vita. or if they had paid Capcom a big fee to get them to release some exclusive Monster Hunter games or something on the Vita

but nopeeee, they didn't care for some reason

Congrats MS😛 jk sorta. Good on Vita.

First Vita game to have official confirmation of breaking a million globally too isn't it?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I've been saying for years Sony doesn't really care about Japan because its a relatively niche market. On top of that, its a shrinking console market.

I think MS, Sony, and Nintendo are trying to prepare for a world where consoles are less relevant while still reaching a large userbase.

I don't know about that, Nintendo's Japan software sales are pretty insane consistently for the last decade (even recently pretty damn good). Sony could have had great handheld Vita sales in Japan if they had given two shits and pushed some quality JRPG exclusives or something on the Vita. or if they had paid Capcom a big fee to get them to release some exclusive Monster Hunter games or something on the Vita

but nopeeee, they didn't care for some reason

Nintendo is doing very well in Japan but they're also losing ground to mobile devices, a market they're now focused on.

There wasn't much Sony could do to really get Vita off the ground and it has a respectable library (not amazing, but respectable). Even if Vita got major Monster Hunter releases where would Vita's userbase be right now? 20 million at best? Vita is a failed platform and I don't blame Sony for cutting their losses. I am a fan of the device by the way but it hasn't done a great job moving software, especially in the west.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Great achievement!!! Congrats Playstation Vita!!!

Congrats Sony and Vita!!!

Congrats to Microsoft

weaveworld said:
This is... disturbing. I didn't even realise.

same here. i knew microsoft was bad in japan, but this isn't far off. Nintendo really is the king in japan i guess, which means the Switch was a smart idea.