By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 crosses 4 Million In Japan

other sources:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328786

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

According to pushsquare.com they got their source from the latest Media Create report.

"Japan's no longer the focus of Sony's attention, but the PlayStation 4 has still managed to quietly cross the four million units milestone in its home nation. The news comes courtesy of the latest Media Create report tracking sales for the week ending 25th December, where Sony's new-gen system sold 100,238 units – enough to push it past the aforementioned milestone."

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

But that's not even close to 10m. Console gaming in Japan is doomed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Congratulations for the PS4 crossing this milestone! For Famitsu it will happen sometime this week, so basically it has happened.

vivster said:

Must be dead in the UK as well then, hasn't sold that much more here either, if any.

Already a great milestone, congrats PS4!!!

Around the Network

4 million is good for Japan these days. It's sad though that I do think consoles are slowly becoming extinct in Japan. I know they're huge mobile gamers over there.

vivster said:

I expect that they might eventually break 10m there.... give it 5years or so.

Anyways I expect sales to pick up after how many good japanese styled games the PS4 has comeing (and has partly been lacking so far).

Awesome news. Home console is dead in Japan. Despite that it's a great achievement.

twintail said:
Ka-pi96 said:
meh. Don`t see any point in congratulating it for 4m. 4m means... well nothing? When/if it gets to 10m then we can start talking. Maybe even 5m since that`s half way there, but 4m? So what?

Although this chart would be more meaningful if there was any indication as to what unit of presumably time the X-axis is meant to represent (labeling matters), I can appreciate the fact that the PS4 is on track to be more successful than the PS3 in the same timeframe. There are still several big releases coming down the way that are likely to push systems in Japan as well, so I don't expect system sales to start trending downwards again in any major way.

The PS4 had a very slow start in large part due to the fact that developers basically weren't making anything exclusively for PS4 that had wide market appeal in Japan. Now that developers have almost completely left the PS3 in the past, PS4 sales are on the rise and have only really dipped in the past year in the brief time period between the PS4 Slim announcement and the launch. Otherwise the price drop in 2015 and the Tokyo Game Show presentation from Sony having a distinct lack of "PS3" for release information solidified the fact that the PS4 was on the road to growth in Japan.

Despite people wanting to say the Japanese home console market is dead, I would say it's simply static. Not really growing or shrinking. That isn't necessarily a good thing either when growth is the major goal, but it proves Japan is at least viable still for home console releases and that we won't start seeing exclusively mobile games anytime soon.

Firefoxie said:

4 million is good for Japan these days. It's sad though that I do think consoles are slowly becoming extinct in Japan. I know they're huge mobile gamers over there.

Mobile Handheld market. 

Switch is going to sell 25 million there.