By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 2016 Was Awesome!

Do you lean towards Optimism or a Pessimism?

Optimism 40 58.82%

Pessemism 28 41.18%

Total:68
robzo100 said:

People of her status die every year. Is every year bad as well?

No, I don't think every year is objectively good. In fact I think this is a highly subjective point that other people have made in the thread. One person can ahve a good year, and another person a bad year. However, I think most people don't have catastrophic or controversial years - many people have illustrated this by saying nothing special happened this year. Special things may ahve happened (it's life after all), but it wasn't filled with them.

I guess I understand how baffled you are by my point of view because I can't for the life of me understand how the deaths of unrelated people (why does it matter if they are a celebrity?) could change the entire outlook of a *whole* year... 

Each year being what it is will always be subjective, yet here we are with you trying to argue to the nail that it's been a great year, despite the fact that we haven't actually had this many celeb deaths (for instance, please take it as *for instance*) since 1982, something that hasn't occured for a very long time.

You don't seem to get gripped by the deaths of others, you see them as a number rather than as a person. Just because you aren't blood related doesn't mean you can feel loss or mourn them. I felt gutted and sad for a few months when Christopher Lee died, mostly because I adored his acting and as a person. I grew up watching his movies and as such I greatly missed him passing on. I've had people close to me, but not blood related, die over the years, I can still feel loss for their passing.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

2016 was indeed not as bad as a lot of people say.
A lot of things keep on getting better and better.

However, new problems start to rise, so the future doesn't look too bright.
There is the rise of terrorism, the rise of populism and the growing climate problems.

For me personally, 2016 was average.

Chazore said:
robzo100 said:

People of her status die every year. Is every year bad as well?

No, I don't think every year is objectively good. In fact I think this is a highly subjective point that other people have made in the thread. One person can ahve a good year, and another person a bad year. However, I think most people don't have catastrophic or controversial years - many people have illustrated this by saying nothing special happened this year. Special things may ahve happened (it's life after all), but it wasn't filled with them.

I guess I understand how baffled you are by my point of view because I can't for the life of me understand how the deaths of unrelated people (why does it matter if they are a celebrity?) could change the entire outlook of a *whole* year... 

Each year being what it is will always be subjective, yet here we are with you trying to argue to the nail that it's been a great year, despite the fact that we haven't actually had this many celeb deaths (for instance, please take it as *for instance*) since 1982, something that hasn't occured for a very long time.

You don't seem to get gripped by the deaths of others, you see them as a number rather than as a person. Just because you aren't blood related doesn't mean you can feel loss or mourn them. I felt gutted and sad for a few months when Christopher Lee died, mostly because I adored his acting and as a person. I grew up watching his movies and as such I greatly missed him passing on. I've had people close to me, but not blood related, die over the years, I can still feel loss for their passing.

So you see you respect Lee because of his acting. Of course it makes sense you would mourn him.

When you say that this year had the most amount of celebrities dying since a long time ago you actually are inciting that it is a "numbers" game. The numbers shoudn't matter. All that matters was whether you cared about them. A lot of people only do on the surface. Surface emotions are indeed real, no one can dispute that.

But they're thin and weak - people forget about celebrity deaths rather quickly(do you really dispute this?), hence the surprise for why peope feel it can determine the outcome of an entire year when the emotions will pass in a week or even less. Which is again why I ask if you can point to other reasons why 2016 was bad besides the death of people who don't stand a candle to the friends, family, and colleagues who we interact with on a daily, weekly, and yearly basis.

I mean, even if a lot of celebs did die, surely you have other things to point to, right? Is every year going to depend upon the celebrty factor for you? I think not. The list I showed was not as one-dimensional as you make a great or not-great year out to be.

robzo100 said:

So you see you respect Lee because of his acting. Of course it makes sense you would mourn him.

When you say that this year had the most amount of celebrities dying since a long time ago you actually are inciting that it is a "numbers" game. The numbers shoudn't matter. All that matters was whether you cared about them. A lot of people only do on the surface. Surface emotions are indeed real, no one can dispute that.

But they're thin and weak - people forget about celebrity deaths rather quickly(do you really dispute this?), hence the surprise for why peope feel it can determine the outcome of an entire year when the emotions will pass in a week or even less. Which is again why I ask if you can point to other reasons why 2016 was bad besides the death of people who don't stand a candle to the friends, family, and colleagues who we interact with on a daily, weekly, and yearly basis.

I mean, even if a lot of celebs did die, surely you have other things to point to, right? Is every year going to depend upon the celebrty factor for you? I think not. The list I showed was not as one-dimensional as you make a great or not-great year out to be.

I respect a lot of people in my life, even coworkers and bosses that do their job right. 

You are inciting the numebrs game. I am bringing up a recorded incident that just happened to be noticed many years ago. Otheriwse not recording anyone at all on this earth wouldn't make sense. You are trying to tell me it's one or the other and it simply doesn't work that way in our structure. We record who dies, we record how many die in areas per year, same for crime, drugs etc.

A lot of those celebs in that list are people thatw ere cared about by many, myself included. I wanted to bring up the list ebcause it hasn't been as big as 19823, you know, something that hasn't occured for many years?. People die all the time, but a celeb list that big?, I don't think that's what you can consider "normal", otherwise we'd be seeing the exact same data each time and yet we don't, but I digress. 

You ask the question, but outside of "bad things", you don't seem to see them as bad and refute that you are objectively correct. I'm sorry but I just flat out disagree. Do you even know of anything else that went on during 2016, or does thaty simply not matter?, do I have to bring up the list for you to easily turn around and go "so"? (because I have the biggest feeling that you will, if our debate has anything to go by).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

in gaming

zelda: botw is released delayed.... again

Around the Network
Chazore said:
robzo100 said:

I respect a lot of people in my life, even coworkers and bosses that do their job right. 

You are inciting the numebrs game. I am bringing up a recorded incident that just happened to be noticed many years ago. Otheriwse not recording anyone at all on this earth wouldn't make sense. You are trying to tell me it's one or the other and it simply doesn't work that way in our structure. We record who dies, we record how many die in areas per year, same for crime, drugs etc.

A lot of those celebs in that list are people thatw ere cared about by many, myself included. I wanted to bring up the list ebcause it hasn't been as big as 19823, you know, something that hasn't occured for many years?. People die all the time, but a celeb list that big?, I don't think that's what you can consider "normal", otherwise we'd be seeing the exact same data each time and yet we don't, but I digress. 

You ask the question, but outside of "bad things", you don't seem to see them as bad and refute that you are objectively correct. I'm sorry but I just flat out disagree. Do you even know of anything else that went on during 2016, or does thaty simply not matter?, do I have to bring up the list for you to easily turn around and go "so"? (because I have the biggest feeling that you will, if our debate has anything to go by).

Do I know of anything else that went on in 2016? That's why I made a diverse list.

You are the one claiming 2016 is all about one factor, I've been welcoming you to say otherwise.

Versus_Evil said:
2016 was great, so many good games released. Did something happen outside of my bubble? I wasn't paying attention but damn, a lot of great games.

Indeed there where plenty of great games, movies and series in 2016. No point in bothering about  things outside the bubble.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

You Norwegian?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

And what does banning deforestation even mean?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

robzo100 said:

Do I know of anything else that went on in 2016? That's why I made a diverse list.

You are the one claiming 2016 is all about one factor, I've been welcoming you to say otherwise.

Yeah, you just made a list sporting only the good, none of the bad. 

You're the one giving out a singe factor which is just the good, so I'll be waiting for you to notice the bad, that is not my job to state the obvious. You go and look for the bad, if you claim there isn't then you're just being ingorant.