By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Self destructive graphics arms race is wiping out game devs.

Have games become to demanding, too expensive to make?

Yes, and it is a self-des... 182 69.73%

No, give me 4K even if it bankrupts them. 79 30.27%

Total:261
SonytendoAmiibo said:
Ka-pi96 said:

An EA exec also recently called the PS4, Xbox One & Wii U 4th gen consoles. So just because they`re an EA exec definitely doesn`t mean they are either knowledgeable or know more than the average person

Well, EA is EA and I can't argue there. But the fact remains that many AAA studios are going down. It seems that every month we see news, such as Crytek shutting down five studios recently. No one can say it's not happening. As far as graphics causing the increase in development costs, even Nintendo said that they vastly underestimated the extra work involved in making HD games.

Crytek is shutting down studios that are NOT making AAA games or at most are helping the main studio which is the one in Frankfurt. And to be fair it's not like Crytek are a big name in AAA games.

Around the Network

Companies that have struggled weren't just pushing cutting edge graphics.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AA devs have thrived on the 3DS and DS over the years. I'm worried that the Switch will be too powerful for those AA devs to make a profit on. They will have to jump from the 3DS which does PS2ish graphics at best, to Switch which will be more powerful than the Wii U.

SonytendoAmiibo said:
caffeinade said:
Don't worry, as A.I. improves we should see the rise of A.I. artists.
A.I. artists will in time lower the demand for "real" artists and therefore reduce development costs.

We can only hope.

So, a game designed by machines for humans to play. Do you think they will let us win? I'm having Matrix flashbacks.

I am thinking more of a collaboration.
I do think that they will permit us to win.

Nintendo tried to offer them an aternative....

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Man, avoid to be "ludist" with the fear of machines and automation taking out human jobs... that only means jobs will evolve. Most of the jobs you have today weren't possible at the start of industrial revolution (when the ludist born when the machines came), actually several of them didn't exist a decade ago. There will always be a place for good professionals, and if everything becames very easy the most that can happen is that any dev can be a one man dev company and do his game solo and sell.

Greed is greater than the need to make more jobs. If a company can spend as little as possible and make as much as possible, they will. That's what's really is destroying America as we speak. I know it's optimistic to think that new jobs will come of machines taking over jobs that others used to do, but often times that never happens. The retort is usually, "well the machines will create jobs for those who repair the machines" when reparing in this case is increasing RAM, GPU and software updates. So I guess there would be more jobs for software engineers but not for 3D modelers or not as many 3D modelers. Programmers, animators, those guys are still in high demand and those jobs are still there. I'm referring mostly to 3D artists who want to focus on realism. 

But as you said, it all comes down to the fact that there is always room for well seasoned professionals. I don't consider myself a Luddite necessarily, I just tend to be hard on myself so that I might be good enough to get into the market and know what the hell I'm doing. I'm seriously also considering going indie. I can do 3D art, I can do simple programming and there's helpful programs like unity and unreal that streamlines simple node based programming so that's the road I'm thinking of taking. Becoming a simple 1 man team or a team of no less than 5. Again, I'm just re evaluating my options as bigger companies are biting the bullet on costly HD development. 

Greed is necessary and that is what drives the creation of job, do you work for free? No, and neither does the people that invest their money on companies. So stop being all "but they only want to profit, and they want us in poverty". The cost reduction and look for profit is the origin of all improvements in society.

Not only repairing, but designing and manufacturing the machines... and also moving away from production and going to service happened.

If less artists of one kind is necessary that will open space on other fields and other aspects will be refined.

Ka-pi96 said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

The link you posted is all developers. We are talking about AAA big developers. The first link in the OP is info from a knowledgeable EA executive. He knows way more about it than the average person does. If you have a problem with the 80% number feel free to contact him. I am just the messenger and thought this news was worth discussion. I have provided the link to that info only. Have a nice day.

An EA exec also recently called the PS4, Xbox One & Wii U 4th gen consoles. So just because they`re an EA exec definitely doesn`t mean they are either knowledgeable or know more than the average person

You know that Sony decides when a gen begins right? So since there are 4 Playstations there are 4 gens, really easy, get up with time.

BraLoD said:
KungKras said:

They did?
3rd party software doesn't sell well on Nintendo platforms and I don't remember Nintendo making and moves to incentive indies on their platforms.

Well they game the alternative to invest very little in graphics and profit a lot and still be called pro consumer. But they forgot that their costumer only allow Nintendo this pratice.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
KungKras said:

They did?
3rd party software doesn't sell well on Nintendo platforms and I don't remember Nintendo making and moves to incentive indies on their platforms.

Yeah they do, Nintendo have a developer program which provides software (like Unity) and middleware to developers, allows developers to self-publish, and set their own price for their games in the Nintendo eShop. The dev kits are also free to 3rd parties

Many 3rd parties have had their start on Nintendo systems like shovel knight, sales particulay in the Wii era have seen some amazing sales, it can often depend on the genre   

So the culprit here is consumer, right?

I feel like it's never been a better time to consume video games. You have all kinds of big ass Triple A blockbusters, mid size and small indie games that cover all genres across the board.

That's sad if studios are being closed, but I feel that was no different in the past, only that it didn't get as much resonance. The same goes for crunching.

It's a very competitive industry and not every developer is willing to sacrifice their private life to make the most awesome video game. But others are and these people are the ones that bring the industry forward with their creativity, passion and hard work.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Ljink96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Man, avoid to be "ludist" with the fear of machines and automation taking out human jobs... that only means jobs will evolve. Most of the jobs you have today weren't possible at the start of industrial revolution (when the ludist born when the machines came), actually several of them didn't exist a decade ago. There will always be a place for good professionals, and if everything becames very easy the most that can happen is that any dev can be a one man dev company and do his game solo and sell.

Greed is greater than the need to make more jobs. If a company can spend as little as possible and make as much as possible, they will. That's what's really is destroying America as we speak. I know it's optimistic to think that new jobs will come of machines taking over jobs that others used to do, but often times that never happens. The retort is usually, "well the machines will create jobs for those who repair the machines" when reparing in this case is increasing RAM, GPU and software updates. So I guess there would be more jobs for software engineers but not for 3D modelers or not as many 3D modelers. Programmers, animators, those guys are still in high demand and those jobs are still there. I'm referring mostly to 3D artists who want to focus on realism. 

But as you said, it all comes down to the fact that there is always room for well seasoned professionals. I don't consider myself a Luddite necessarily, I just tend to be hard on myself so that I might be good enough to get into the market and know what the hell I'm doing. I'm seriously also considering going indie. I can do 3D art, I can do simple programming and there's helpful programs like unity and unreal that streamlines simple node based programming so that's the road I'm thinking of taking. Becoming a simple 1 man team or a team of no less than 5. Again, I'm just re evaluating my options as bigger companies are biting the bullet on costly HD development. 

Dude dude trust me don't go with indie games head on when you enter try to find a job in a studio no matter which one to get experience,because trust me when you find a job in this industry you will move a lot at least my friend did that,you will need to build up experience learn how to hit dead line on a budget all of that,then you make your own indie games or open your studio.

That guy told you too enter PC as soon as possible in my opinion go with Consoles but you can go with PC doesn't matter but do it where you have a budget because when you are making indie games 70/30% even more now with all these indie games coming out is that you will fail and that could kill your studio or anything else.

But all in all Start working with a studio to build experience and be in a studio where there is a good budget better to fail together then to fail your self you could set yourself for a big dissapointment.