By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

Soundwave said:
MikeRox said:

I think the funniest thing is that so many SJWs think Lara had big tits in the early Tomb Raider games cuz objectification. When the reality was it used less polygons and so was a technical design choice that the games artwork then adapted to.

What games are people playing that all the protagonists are white males? Maybe your game choice is more the issue than the industry itself.

And considering anime characters white, is people  with racial insecurities projecting. Most anime characters are Asian. Shock horror Asian skin tones can be pale too. But people have such a gripe with the "white man" that they tell anime artists their characters are white and they just don't realise they are viewing white people as superior. 

This thread is so full of wtf.

She had big tits because 15-year-old boys like big tits, I should know, I was kinda the target audience of said game. Same with Tifa's bouncing tits in Final Fantasy VII. 

Oversized fake tits were all the rage in the 90s anyway. Doubt there wasn't a straight teenager around who didn't jerk it to Pamela Anderson's Playboy spreads on the regular. 

Pamela Anderson is ugly though

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

The story needs to tell what it needs to tell, you know? Don't replace your long thought-up character with a token diversity hire. Tell your story the way you want to tell it. And people ought to be just as offended with token box-checking on an obvious diversity ploy, than a genuine choice for something naturally being diverse because that's the way the story was meant to be told.

I don't remember white males being upset about playing as girl in Tomb Raider or Metroid Prime, nor do I think it is reasonable or justifiable to replace a planned female or diverse male protagonist with a white male, simply because you're worried that your game won't sell unless it appeals to the stereotypical white male gamer. I think both of those extremes are equally shameful.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

MikeRox have said quite well.

I'm just waiting for some folks over here to say anime chars have big eyes because asians are envy of the white males with their rounder eyes. And that because they skin is "white" (you know, manga is B&W and would be a lot harder to give skin color tones to each char)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

As valid criticism, nope. Why critics wish to impede upon an artist's vision is beyond me.

Soundwave said:
MikeRox said:

I think the funniest thing is that so many SJWs think Lara had big tits in the early Tomb Raider games cuz objectification. When the reality was it used less polygons and so was a technical design choice that the games artwork then adapted to.

What games are people playing that all the protagonists are white males? Maybe your game choice is more the issue than the industry itself.

And considering anime characters white, is people  with racial insecurities projecting. Most anime characters are Asian. Shock horror Asian skin tones can be pale too. But people have such a gripe with the "white man" that they tell anime artists their characters are white and they just don't realise they are viewing white people as superior. 

This thread is so full of wtf.

She had big tits because 15-year-old boys like big tits, I should know, I was kinda the target audience of said game. Same with Tifa's bouncing tits in Final Fantasy VII. 

Oversized fake tits were all the rage in the 90s anyway. Doubt there wasn't a straight teenager around who didn't jerk it to Pamela Anderson's Playboy spreads on the regular. 

Do you finally accept that video games do not have a straight white male most of the time?

Around the Network

Whenever it's majority white, it's white washing.
Whenever there's more black people, it's diversity.

I fucking hate this logic.

Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

Do you finally accept that video games do not have a straight white male most of the time?

"Most" of the time? No. White characters or "Japanese" characters who have basically 90% white features are still the overwhelming majority in video games depictions of humanoid characters.  

Are there more diverse characters in video games, specifically in the last 4 years or so? Sure. 

"Equality" always will feel like persecution to a person who's used to privilege. You take a rich person and force them to stay in a 4 star hotel when they've only ever stayed in 5 star hotels and they will complain, you force them to stay in a 3 star hotel and they will say it's sub-human. And that is to some effect human nature because they don't know any different. When you are used to something, like defacto standard white humanoid characters in video games for the better part of say 30 years+ now, a change in that paradigm is difficult for some people to accept. 

Most people in my estimation don't care, gamers just like good games, and if the characters are more diverse to reflect a more diverse audience-base ... great. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. As far as I can tell there's no real distinction between ethnicities and gaming passion, I see black, Asian, and Latino kids as passionate and hardcore about gaming as white kids, so why can't there be more characters in games that look reflective of the people actually playing them. 

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

"Most" of the time? No. White characters or "Japanese" characters who have basically 90% white features are still the overwhelming majority in video games depictions of humanoid characters.  

Are there more diverse characters in video games, specifically in the last 4 years or so? Sure. 

"Equality" always will feel like persecution to a person who's used to privilege. You take a rich person and force them to stay in a 4 star hotel when they've only ever stayed in 5 star hotels and they will complain, you force them to stay in a 3 star hotel and they will say it's sub-human. And that is to some effect human nature because they don't know any different. When you are used to something, like defacto standard white humanoid characters in video games for the better part of say 30 years+ now, a change in that paradigm is difficult for some people to accept. 

Most people in my estimation don't care, gamers just like good games, and if the characters are more diverse to reflect a more diverse audience-base ... great. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. As far as I can tell there's no real distinction between ethnicities and gaming passion, I see black, Asian, and Latino kids as passionate and hardcore about gaming as white kids, so why can't there be more characters in games that look reflective of the people actually playing them. 

You answered yourself... people doesn't care about race, gender and sexuality at most part in games, so it's pointless. The ones complaining are SJWs and mostly people that doesn't even invest on the industry.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

I agree with your latter post. I have no issue with a game character at all. I'm really baffled by this "I can't relate if this character isn't my gender/raced", but then I grew up in the 80s when your average game character was a purple/yellow/green jellybaby type thing.

However "big tits" was as much a limitation of the 32 bit hardware as a conscious design choice, in Lara's case marketing preferred it, but it was an accident rather than a design choice. Ironically though to show just how far we've come, Lara was originally not a British character until Marketing instructed them. Much like why Mario has a mustache and Pacman is a circle. Yes the PC version of FFVII allowed for more detail in Tifa, but the PSX original it was more to do with conserving polygons.

You know what. It's PR/Marketing that is the problem with gaming, not game developer haha.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

It's not, no.

Developers/writers should deliver us their visions and not worry about any biases that exist outside their work.