By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is lack of gender/racial diversity valid criticism?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lawlight said:

You don't agree because it doesn't fit your rhetoric. Just this year we've had (only including big releases):

Watch Dogs 2

Dishonored 2

Battlefield 1

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Mafia 3

Recore

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

In the next 2 months we have Horizon and Gravity Rush 2 coming. God of War, The Last of Us 2 and Uncharted are coming up with non-white male protagonists as well.

And yes, I don't count anime characters as white. You probably think Sangoku is white too.

Uh......I thought that Kratos was white in God of War? Sorry i'm probably wrong i've only played #3. And The Last of Us 2? Unless you have insider info, Joel is still the main protagonist in the game. 

ND said that Ellie is the protagonist. And yeah, Kratos only looks white because of the ashes but the creator said that he was a mixture of white, black, asian and middle eastern and he does look non-white before the ashes.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

Uh......I thought that Kratos was white in God of War? Sorry i'm probably wrong i've only played #3. And The Last of Us 2? Unless you have insider info, Joel is still the main protagonist in the game. 

ND said that Ellie is the protagonist. And yeah, Kratos only looks white because of the ashes but the creator said that he was a mixture of white, black, asian and middle eastern and he does look non-white before the ashes.

Oh damn really? That's pretty sick. I know Kratos is voiced by a black dude(I know it's a new voice actor but iirc the last one was black as well). 

I for one am happy to hear you play as Ellie. Kind of expected 50% Ellie 50% joel though. hm........

I'm thinking something i hope is not true right now :( 

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

The topic is about lack of diversity though. I'm pointing out that there's not. Games are also made in the NA and Europe where the majority is white. White males are well represented but that doesn't mean that there is a lack of diversity. Anyone denying that is simply blind.

In Europe perhaps, but not America. Under 18 in America will soon be a majority minority and the younger portions of the population are very mixed. Walk into any GameStop or game section at Best Buy, it sure as hell isn't just white kids there. 

Then you also have Japan, South Korea, and other markets that are rising like China/India. 

So game characters becoming more diverse is not terribly surprising. 

The audience that actually plays these games I would say is up to 45% non-white and that number is growing. Gaming is a wonderfully diverse community. 

I didn't realise that games like Watch Dogs 2 or The Last of Us 2 were being made with China in mind. And have to capture those ~150,000 PS4 owners in India, right. Give me the Asian market mainly China and South Korea have their own developers making games for them and aren't the primary audience for the games we're talking about.

How are you ariving to the 45% conclusion?

Lawlight said:

Oh damn really? That's pretty sick. I know Kratos is voiced by a black dude(I know it's a new voice actor but iirc the last one was black as well). 

I for one am happy to hear you play as Ellie. Kind of expected 50% Ellie 50% joel though. hm........

I'm thinking something i hope is not true right now :( 

I think I know what you're thinking.

Btw, I was just watching PS Access's 20 confirmed 2017 games to play. If we ignore games without default characters, games where we have diversity:

Horizon
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Persona 5
Prey
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Nier: Automata
Gravity Rush

Games where you can only play as a white male characters
RE7
Ni No Kuni 2
NiOh
Outlast 2

Funnily enough most of the games with a white male are Asian games.

Red Dead 2, we don't know who the main character is yet.

Around the Network

Why do you guys want diversity?
Never heard a black person complain about diversity in video games. Never heard anyone complain except white males and politically deranged feminists.

I can say that I couldn't care less about the diversity portrayed... as long as the characters are believable and their gender/race/religion/etc is adherent to the story being told, or set period I'm ok with it. Besides that I don't bother too much thinking "own I don't want to play with a black chick". I loved playing Mirror's Edge even though the protagonist was a hot asian female

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it make whether a generic main character's skin is white, brown, black, yellow, green, etc or are male or female? Diversity for diversity's sake isn't a huge deal until you want to gender swap or race swap an established character just because, I mean what does that really accomplish?

I have no issue with a more diverse cast in games but I believe storytelling and gameplay are far more important than racial diversity or lack thereof imo. Plus if skin color or gender are deal breakers for some, than they should stick to playing games where you can create your own character like Skyrim and Minecraft.

UnderstatedCornHole said:
Why do you guys want diversity?
Never heard a black person complain about diversity in video games. Never heard anyone complain except white males and politically deranged feminists.

I don't care honestly, but I think that if the developer is able to, they should at least do a minimum of black/white and male/female. Not for every game, but for ones where you explore and grow( Pokemon, skyrim, MMO's, etc.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Games can just make customizing your character more often to please everyone. Just have it like Monster Hunter or most MMOs where you tinker with the characters looks at the start of the game.