By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

JRPGfan said:
What happends when 2019-2020 comes around and Playstation 5 is like 10 Teraflops though?
By that time the Switch will look really dated.... or does power & graphics just not matter at all to nintendo?

It'll look really dated out the gate.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
What happends when 2019-2020 comes around and Playstation 5 is like 10 Teraflops though?
By that time the Switch will look really dated.... or does power & graphics just not matter at all to nintendo?

A X1 makes it look dated Pro and Scorpio well it will be just brutal.

Makes sense if they are planing to drop hardware.  Milk cheap to make products till you cant and bail on the hardware.  

Unfortunately digital foundry is very credible so I don't think I will be purchasing switch. Definitely not day one I will wait for a price cut and if that never comes I will never get it. I will never pay full price for a last gen console ever again. Been doing it for years with Nintendo and my loyalty only goes so far after they constantly betray me.

JRPGfan said:

It will rise or fall based on its portability factor and value proposition. It now depends on what the market will think whether or not the value is there. The wii looked super dated compared to the ps3/360 but that didnt stop it from selling. Not saying it will be the same case for the switch but Nintendo is essentially banking on that the Switch will be unique enough for its price point that people will buy it.

As a console its weak but as a handheld its strong. I just hope they didnt skimp out on battery cause then they have no chance.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Shadow1980 said:
zorg1000 said:

No, it has a better CPU, over 3x as much RAM and the GPU is roughly on par with Wii U when undocked and about 2x when docked (if only looking at pure numbers which doesnt tell the whole story).

superchunk said:

No.

Better CPU
Better RAM
Better GPU (while slightly less flops, better capability) when portable
2.5X (or more) better GPU when docked

So it is more powerful than the Wii U when docked, but maybe only about on par with the Wii U when portable?

In any case, I'm cool with that. It may not be a generational leap, but Nintendo managed to do a lot with the Wii U's hardware despite it being totally outclassed by the PS4 & XBO. The Switch still may not even come close to the XBO, but Nintendo should still be able to make some damn impressive games for it, and let's be honest, most people will be getting the Switch to play mostly Nintendo games. And since it's a hybrid system, this technically makes it by far the most powerful handheld by a wide margin, far outclassing even the Vita. If it costs $250 and ends up having all of Nintendo's big series combined on one platform (think an Gen 8 Pokemon with Wii U-quality HD graphics), it ought to do quite well for itself. At least I hope it does.

No, it is better when portable and much better when docked. In almost every way possible, NS is better than WiiU.

Around the Network
torok said:

That is completely irrelevant. The new low-level APIs are an improvement just for PCs and mobile phones, that relied for far too long in APIs with high overhead, like DirectX (pre-12) and OpenGL. Consoles always had their custom, low level APIs.

Some of them actually supported DX (like Xbox) and OpenGL, but that was only an option for devs that did not cared about performance. 99% of the games are developed for the low-level APIs. Engines like Unity and Unreal also use these APIs.

It's like saying that the PS4 GPU supports DirectX. It does, but it is useless for the console.

Not entirely true. Even though consoles have had their very own low level APIs for decades it's always a nice thing to have a standard API that will work on every device from now on. It could make the porting job a lot easier.

Aside from that, when you say that Switch is OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan complaint you're actually saying that it's hardware supports a myriad of features present on those APIs. It doesn't mean that they will utilize those APIs, obviously, instead it means that they are present to be used by them or by the very own console low level API.

Some say that Wii U has a OpenGL 4.2 compliant GPU. We know now that Switch's GPU is OpenGL 4.5 compliant. It means that there's a lot of new features present on GPU that's available to both OpenGL AND Switch own low level API.

I didn't say it will use Vulkan. I said that it has Vulkan capabilities.

Wyrdness said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Is actually hard to know exactly how much powerful it is going only by he numbers we have, but what I understand from what I read is that Switch will slightly outperform WiiU when undocked and be around x3 times the power of WiiU when docked, but more info is still required since we don't really know for exemple how customized the Nvidia chip is or how much Ram the OS will use.

It's actually around twice Wii U performance when undocked going by the specs rumours are giving.

Not really, this are nvidia flops and the architecture is supposed to be more modern. When undocked the console has less flops than WiiU yet eurogamer says it outperforms it, which suggests this measure is not accurate and flops in switch represent more than they did on WiiU, just like when WiiU had way less gflops than 360 but it was actually stronger. So while technically numbers says it has x2/x2.5 the number of flops it actually looks like that could be translated to something around 3 times the power.

haqqaton said:

Not entirely true. Even though consoles have had their very own low level APIs for decades it's always a nice thing to have a standard API that will work on every device from now on. It could make the porting job a lot easier.

Aside from that, when you say that Switch is OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan complaint you're actually saying that it's hardware supports a myriad of features present on those APIs. It doesn't mean that they will utilize those APIs, obviously, instead it means that they are present to be used by them or by the very own console low level API.

Some say that Wii U has a OpenGL 4.2 compliant GPU. We know now that Switch's GPU is OpenGL 4.5 compliant. It means that there's a lot of new features present on GPU that's available to both OpenGL AND Switch own low level API.

I didn't say it will use Vulkan. I said that it has Vulkan capabilities.

Yes, you are correct regarding how the supporter version of OpenGL indicates which features it supports. Having them as options isn't a problem, it's a good feature. However, it's more important to have a simple low-level API. PS4 is usually considered a machine that allows easy porting from PC or other platforms and it uses GCM as its API. Devs usually say it is quite similar to DirectX, so basically designing a good native API is good enough to facilitate porting.

My critic is about the videos on the post. They compare OpenGL and Vulkan showing how Vulkan allows to decrease the cost behind draw calls and which improvements it can bring to performance. This is true for mobile devices, PCs, etc. But if it won't indicate how it will compare with the Wii because it already uses a low overhead native API. So we won't have any magical gain here regarding the API. The videos show a high-overhead API lacking behind a low-overhead one, but even Vulkan will still have a higher overhead than Wii U native APIs, while the Switch API will probably be more on par with what we expect from consoles.

Goodnightmoon said:
Wyrdness said:

It's actually around twice Wii U performance when undocked going by the specs rumours are giving.

Not really, this are nvidia flops and the architecture is supposed to be more modern. When undocked the console has less flops than WiiU yet eurogamer says it outperforms it, which suggests this measure is not accurate and flops in switch represent more than they did on WiiU, just like when WiiU had way less gflops than 360 but it was actually stronger. So while technically numbers says it has x2/x2.5 the number of flops it actually looks like that could be translated to something around 3 times the power.

I already know it's not a straight up comparison of numbers, I came to around twice the power undocked for a conservative estimation even though it's likely to be 3 times the performance, undocked has around the third of the performance removed that leaves docked at around 4-4.5 times the Wii U when taking these possible factors into account. That's before we take into account of the possibility of any tesselator, shaders and fixed functions as well as more RAM.

It's like what someone posted earliar the platform is still very much between Wii U and X1 which is what the expected performance level has been since the unveiling, the platform will get the lower settings of multiplatforms but the the trade off is that the follow up games from the portable library have this huge massive jump in power to play with, I think this is what a lot of people are missing.

The CODs, ACs, Dark Souls and so on will be subject to scaling but your Monster Hunters, Fire Emblems, Bravely Defaults, Pokemons etc... have a jump bigger than the jump from SD to HD to play around with in their realm.

animegaming said:
Considering this thing is basically the 3DS successor I am not surprised. In fact I'm kinda of shock people are still surprised at the idea of the switch being much weaker then the XB1 and PS4 since I doubt we can get an affordable system with a decent battery life and specs that rival the PS4.

As a 3DSv2, it's gonna be good.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?