By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Egelo said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Well, going by flops only (I don't think that's right but oh well), then undocked Switch is around 7-8 times more powerful than a Vita. That's sounds impressive from the handheld perspective.

well then hopefully it maanges to surpass vita sales, if it can.  

its not a pure handheld now is it.  Its a good excuse but but its portable.  But ninty fans were acting like all the big titles are coming that switch will be comparable to PS4 or atleast X1 two home consoles.  

Well, not really, I even made a thread time ago talking about NX not getting many third party support from the west, and I'm a pretty hardcore fan, don't do generalizations please.

Is not an excuse is what it is, the console is half handheld and to be a good handheld needs to be light, with low consumption, good battery life, never overheat too much, etc. All that while being cheap, so is obvious it will not be comparable to a Ps4 since the portability is a limit for power, but a great opportunity for an appealing new device that will at least have more Nintendo support than usual (unified library) and great japanese third party support.

Around the Network

Hm. I'm fine with this if the price matches performance.

They'd just better not pull a 3DS where they're trying to make a killing in terms of profit margin based on the gimmick or it might backfire.

Egelo said:
Soundwave said:

Or you could compare it to y'know the Nintendo portable, the 3DS, which has sold 60+ million units instead of the Vita. 

Switch wont even sniff half that number.  

I guess we'll find out. Even half that is still 30+ million though, the Vita couldn't dream of such a number. 

Captain_Yuri said:
spemanig said:

I mean a point of comparison. Zelda isn't a point of comparison because you can't play Zelda on PS4, XBO, or PC. Call of Duty is because you can. Everything is relative. There's no relativity to the experience of playing Nintendo exclusives on Switch vs. everything else other than that you can't play them on everything else, which is not something the Switch does new.

What the Switch does new is play console games untethered to your TV. That's its value proposition. Without multiplats, that experience can only be compared to other systems with the same games, which are Nintendo systems. That gives portability the same value with the same audience as all Nintendo systems have had, success or failure. Without multiplats, portability adds no value that Nintendo exclusives didn't already had because the only games it effects are Nintendo exclusives.

With multiplats, it the value of portability applies to all multiplats. If you own a PS4/XBO/PC, every software purchase decision must now factor in the Switch when deciding what you want to buy your game. Each platform has a reason to buy it there. The Switch's reason is portability. If those people cared about Nintendo exclusives, they would have bought a Wii U.

Switch needs the Red Deads and the ME:As too. Maybe not all in the first year, but eventually.

Well, I was comparing how Nintendo was launching the Switch vs how they launched the wii. They don't exactly have much control over whether or not third parties will actually support it so... I don't think it makes sense to include them as a point of comparison since that is out of Nintendo's control to a certain extent. It makes sense to include them in whether or not having them will make the Switch a success but I am comparing how similar it is to the wii's launch based on Nintendo's actions so far and what we know.

They absolutely do. It's 100%, completely, entirely in their control. Every 3rd party game Nintendo doesn't get is their fault.

I was responding to you asking if portability was enough to make the Switch succeed. I said yes, with multiplats. Then I explained why.

Goodnightmoon said:

Well, going by flops only (I don't think that's right but oh well), then undocked Switch is around 7-8 times more powerful than a Vita. That's sounds impressive from the handheld perspective.

7-8 times?

Vita = ~50 GFLOPS, Switch undocked = ~160 GFLOPS... that's closer to 3 times the power (a.k.a 2 times more powerful)

3 times the power is a progression what could be expected after more than 5 years (12/2011 - 03/2017).

Around the Network

Didn't LKD say that GCN VC was coming? How is that possible is the Switch is only as powerful as the Wii U undocked? Can hardware that weak emulate the GCN?

spemanig said:
Didn't LKD say that GCN VC was coming? How is that possible is the Switch is only as powerful as the Wii U undocked? Can hardware that weak emulate the GCN?

With the right optimization yes, this is not like with dolphin and so, they know their own tech.

Conina said:
Goodnightmoon said:

7-8 times?

Vita = ~50 GFLOPS, Switch undocked = ~160 GFLOPS... that's closer to 3 times the power (a.k.a 2 times more powerful)

3 times the power is a progression what could be expected after more than 5 years (12/2011 - 03/2017).

Wasn't Vita like 20GFlops? 

In b4 "Proof that Final Fantasy XVI can run on the Switch"

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

spemanig said:

This is Super Mario Sunshine running on Nvidia Shield (Tegra X1) at 1080P:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlUCD-BmDs

Now this is 1080p remember, so running it at native res would be 480p, so like 1/8th the pixels. 

Should be doable especially since Nintendo tweak/engineer the chip especially to accomodate such VC.