By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump: 'Nobody Really Knows' If Climate Change Is Real

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

He has a point. Scientists always think they know something, once upon a time the scientific community thought the Earth was flat and that the Sun revolved around the Earth, they were wrong. Modern Science is not incontrovertible. While the climate definitely is changing, there is no way to know for certain that it's human caused rather than the natural climate changes this planet has always had.

No, but until we find some evidence that completely shakes up our understanding of how earth's climate works that disproves and unvalidifies all the evidence in support of man-made global warming, the natural course of action would be to presume that it is true until such hypothetical evidence arises. Especially because the consequences of it not being true but us trying do something about it because we thought it was true won't be that bad, however if we don't do anything and it is true, the consequences will be enormous.

Slimebeast said:
I like his attitude. That's an honest, humble statement, because it's fact that nobody really knows.

The predictions by the international panel for climate change has this far been wrong, and constantly overestimated the temperature. The models still don't work. We don't know the true climate sensitivity of CO2 yet.

This. All of this.

I'm so tired of this dumb bashing. "Let's grab a quote and write a book about it! Fuck Trump, the demon!!"

People act as if Trump will somehow pour oil over the entire earth. Everyone is working to improve the climate reagrdless, calm down. If you really care so much about climate change, go complain to China and India.

Well he does have a point. Overall, he's wrong, but that doesn't mean his point isn't valid at this time.

While there are many sources that show compelling evidence that CO2 output has been increasing steadily and at a similar rate as to how much carbon we've been putting into the atmosphere, there are also many sources that show the climate has changed quite drastically before humans even existed.

I agree that adding unnatural CO2 to the atmosphere, is not a good idea, and most certainly will eventually lead to serious problems. Removing mass amounts of green space at the same time, that absorbs that CO2, just makes it worse.

The question is of course, how much harm are we really doing, and how much is to much? We can get an approximate idea of how much is our fault, but how much is to much, is all just educated guesses. There are just way to many variables to take into account, that nobody can truly know exactly what's to much.

Now does that mean we should just push the limit and regret that we didn't take the safe and easy route earlier? Absolutely not. Green energy is no doubt the right way forward. Not just because its clean, but because its renewable and sustainable.

I think Trump and his push for oil is mostly to bring jobs and prosperity to Americans again. Which I believe it will do just that, like back in the 60's. Causing more damage to the environment in the process however, is a huge negative effect, but a lot of people will turn a blind eye to that if they are financially stable because of it. Until its to late of course, then everyone will want green energy and will demand it NOW, as per usual.

I for one am all for green energy, I used to build substations as well as wire up transformers for solar and wind parks. First things first, wind and solar farms make way to much money, that needs to be changed. Wind even makes money sometimes when the turbines aren't spinning, and that needs to change.
Then what needs to happen, considering the biggest hurdle is the rich and powerful oil interests, is government policy that forces big oil to build a lot of renewable energy for each liter of oil extracted. Not like the energy credits now either. A policy that really pushes the oil companies to put most of their profits into renewables. Most oil companies already own the majority of the renewables because they buy all the projects up, or fund them to begin with, this just needs to pushed much harder with a lot more invested into green energy.

It's not going to be an easy fix no matter how you slice it, but a future based on oil, like back in the 50's and 60's, is going to lead to major problems worldwide sooner or later, and the sooner we push to make green energy a priority, the better off the future will be.

99% of scientists could just be wrong.... suuuuuure.

Around the Network

Yes, let's just ignore science and only believe in what supports our political believes! Fuck facts!

shikamaru317 said:

He has a point. Scientists always think they know something, once upon a time the scientific community thought the Earth was flat

Incorrect, People have known the world is a sphere from the greek times

Climate change is real ... 

What we don't know is whether it's largely anthropogenic or how sensitive the inputs are ... 

Climate alarmists are just as ignorant as Donald Trump is when they're advocating for an imminent doomsday scenario ... 

As the sun balloons in the next billion or so years, earth won't be able to sustain life like Venus but that's so utterly far into the future that even I don't know if the human race will prevail for that long ... 

Rest assured, our life times are almost certainly protected from the threat of extreme climate change and likely our grand children too ... 

Vinther1991 said:
Yes, let's just ignore science and only believe in what supports our political believes! Fuck facts!

But but... this lobisity from Big Oil.... says Climate Change isnt real! why would he lie?

Birimbau said:

There are so many unscientific claims that it's painful to watch that. As he says in the video "you're a physicist for heaven's sake".  He says "how can you measure global average temperature for a whole year accurately down to a fraction of a degree?" Well the answer is pretty fucking obvious. We have thermometers that are extremely accurate, we have thermometers that can measure with a precision down to a less than a billionth of a Kelvin. That's way higher accuracy than we need. A hundreth of a Kelvin is already  enough. You then proceed to take continuous measurements on every measuring station, and average them out. Since at least the 1950's, our temperature measurements have been more than accurate enough. I could proceed to tear the rest of his arguments to pieces, but I'm sure it won't convince you either way. He is correct on some parts though, some personalities and media have used just as unscientific arguments as he himself uses in this video to try and convince others of global warming, and such inaccuracies should be pointed out. The problem is he is hypocritical because he's contributing to the problem by spreading false information himself, which is a shame.