Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ventura Beat: Nintendo Switch are based on Nvidia's Maxwell Architecture not Pascal

curl-6 said:
nuckles87 said:

It tells us plenty. It means the Switch can receive ports of high end current gen games. As I said later in the post, neither the Wii or Wii U could do that. The Wii could not run any version of Demons Souls, the Wii U was far to weak to receive any direct ports of Xbox One or Ps4 games. So the fact that the Switch can says a lot about capability. Sure, we don't know what sacrifices they had to make, but anyone who is expecting anything less than a notable visual downgrade is fooling themselves. But at the very least, for the first time since GameCube, Nintendo might actually be getting direct ports from competitors consoles.

You could get Dark Souls 3 running on the PS3 and 360 if you really wanted to. Hell, last gen Treyarch got Modern Warfare 3 running on Wii.

It's less a question of power and more a question of whether sales justify conversion costs.

You're probably right. 

If an XBox 360 for example had a 500 GFLOP Tegra processor (so likely about 2.5x the GFLOP performance) and 3GB of RAM (6x the memory), plus the more modern architecture ... there probably would be a lot more PS4/XB1 ports, but there are already are things like MGSV and Far Cry 4 and what not. 



Around the Network

nuckles87 said:

It tells us plenty. It means the Switch can receive ports of high end current gen games. As I said later in the post, neither the Wii or Wii U could do that. The Wii could not run any version of Demons Souls, the Wii U was far to weak to receive any direct ports of Xbox One or Ps4 games. So the fact that the Switch can says a lot about capability. Sure, we don't know what sacrifices they had to make, but anyone who is expecting anything less than a notable visual downgrade is fooling themselves. But at the very least, for the first time since GameCube, Nintendo might actually be getting direct ports from competitors consoles.

No, it just tells us that games can be ported, but at what cost (or lack thereof) we dont know. THe rumor states they are happy with the current performance, but who knows what that actually means. The Switch just needs to be stronger than X1/ PS3 (thus being stronger than WiiU) to get a port. If something like MGS5 can run on the PS3, DS3 could certainly too if liverties were made.

The only reason you didnt see DS3 on PS3 X360 was because it wasnt worth the time for an audience that was largely not buying those sort of games. Switch represents a new platform so there is potential hence a port can be considered ok enough.

Anyhow, as I personally maintain (like many others) JAN is when we will know what the device is capable of. But this DS3 rumour is not indicatative of anything outside of what ppl want it to mean.

DS3 could be running at 20fps on Switch and From is happy with that? Again, who knows what that actually means.



Well, the Google Pixel C tablet has the Tegra X1/Maxwell and its going for $600 US on Amazon right now. The Nintendo Switch will be optimized for gaming and only go for $250/$300. Who can complain about that. I will be quite happy with X1/Maxwell. They should call the Nintendo custom chip X1/Mario.



   

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Honestly, the specs leaked back in October (Quad core ARM Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, Maxwell Tegra) should be just fine for Nintendo's purposes.

Switch isn't meant to be a PS4/Xbone competitor. Think of it more as a next gen portable.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

tbone51 said:

Great news! Might be selling for cheaper in stores msrp!

 

Edit: ironically i saw this news on gaf and said to myself my good ol boy Sh1nn would make a thread. Glad i was right xD

What a savage first reply to this thread. You make me proud, tbone. Very proud.

But you still have to explain to me why you are running around without a profile picture.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
Sh1nn said:
spemanig said:

"We’re not so sure if the Switch is weaker than the Xbox One, as the performance may be close."

All that matters.

Seriously, though. Who was expecting this thing to be as powerful as a PS4??

switch is gonna be ~500gf machine

 xbox one  is 1.3 tf

Then it won't be running DS3 and Skyrim remastered (at least not decently). If it has a chance at running those two games, it's as least competitive with XB1 hardware



Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

It being 20nm vs 16nm finFET is a bigger deal than Maxwell vs Pascal. Pascal is basically just a tweaked Maxwell with updated features, majority of it's performance gains is due to it's higher cock speeds.



RolStoppable said:
tbone51 said:

Great news! Might be selling for cheaper in stores msrp!

 

Edit: ironically i saw this news on gaf and said to myself my good ol boy Sh1nn would make a thread. Glad i was right xD

What a savage first reply to this thread. You make me proud, tbone. Very proud.

But you still have to explain to me why you are running around without a profile picture.

I give mods permission to give me a profile picture since i cant get one done on my phone lol



barneystinson69 said:
Sh1nn said:

switch is gonna be ~500gf machine

 xbox one  is 1.3 tf

Then it won't be running DS3 and Skyrim remastered (at least not decently). If it has a chance at running those two games, it's as least competitive with XB1 hardware

It can, it just probably means a reduced resolution like 540p portable and 720p docked as well as reduced effects. 

This is Dark Souls III running on a Nvidia 730M, an old lap top GPU that's about 550 GFLOPS in performance (with only DDR3 RAM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctP4C6CGKCM&t=95s

Granted the guy had to overclock to get it to run, but if the developer specifically coded to the metal of that specific GPU they likely could get it up and running. 



Soundwave said:
barneystinson69 said:

Then it won't be running DS3 and Skyrim remastered (at least not decently). If it has a chance at running those two games, it's as least competitive with XB1 hardware

It can, it just probably means a reduced resolution like 540p portable and 720p docked as well as reduced effects. 

This is Dark Souls III running on a Nvidia 730M, an old lap top GPU that's about 550 GFLOPS in performance (with only DDR3 RAM).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctP4C6CGKCM&t=95s

Granted the guy had to overclock to get it to run, but if the developer specifically coded to the metal of that specific GPU they likely could get it up and running. 

That's pretty good! Let me embed for you.