By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is FF13 still a good excuse for FF15 poor performance in Japan?

double post

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
m_csquare said:
deskpro2k3 said:

what part of my statement is bullshit? I specifically said that anyone can ask a Japanese gamer about Square Enix and their relations with the Japanese core gamers. And, why do you want to stray off into  casual mobile again when clearly that's not what I'm referencing. what kind of BS is this?

Japanese core gamers hate squenix, but squenix games are still some of the best selling games in ps4, vita, and 3ds. Dont you see the problem there? ppl dont buy things that they hate. You wanna knw a real good example of hate? Take a look at NMS and refunds.

Oh wait, maybe i misintepret your comment. Anyone that doesnt hate squenix must be a casual gamer.

okeydokie. lol

who would've thought. declining sales numbers is seen as a smashing success for some. you believe what you want ok? lets move on

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
m_csquare said:

Japanese core gamers hate squenix, but squenix games are still some of the best selling games in ps4, vita, and 3ds. Dont you see the problem there? ppl dont buy things that they hate. You wanna knw a real good example of hate? Take a look at NMS and refunds.

Oh wait, maybe i misintepret your comment. Anyone that doesnt hate squenix must be a casual gamer.

okeydokie. lol

who would've thought. declining sales numbers is seen as a smashing success for some. you believe what you want ok? lets move on.

There are many factors that contribute to that, but we'll leave that on other thread.

I dont think japanese really hate squenix. They just hate anything that damage the image of their country (in this case FF13). Remember those japanese journalists that were killed by ISIS. Japan actually scorned those journalist. They were labeled as troublemakers putting japan into world news for all the wrong reasons (source: TIME). FF13 and japanese gamers realationship is kinda similar with those two journalists and japanese countrymen

Lawlight said:
Swordmasterman said:

Globally? Its China, 25 billions

USA, 24 billions

Japan 12-14 billions

Korea, 4.5-5 billions

Germany 4+ billions.

I saw that in 2015

We're talking about traditional gaming though, not mobile.

Overwatch would be profitable even if they launched it for China only. Since we can't  say the % of mobile we will go with total revenue.

You said that Uk was the 2-3 biggest market, din't you ?  UK isn't another USA or China.

The answer to this is not that complicated, most of the gamers who used to buy these games on consoles a while back are now on portable devices, XIII is no excuse because FFII didn't hurt the franchise despite it being viewed as one of the franchise's weaker games in fact sales increased with the next installment.

The question is not about the previous game hurting the brand it's more about why portables have become the dominant force, I hear culture in Japan has people moving around a lot which portables suit and given that portables in recent times are now starting to match consoles in the type of games in their libraries it becomes more clear why they're opting for portable devices.

As it goes any brand that is strictly rooted to a home console is on a path to decline in Japan as the problem is a platform one not a brand one.

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
Lawlight said:

We're talking about traditional gaming though, not mobile.

Overwatch would be profitable even if they launched it for China only. Since we can't  say the % of mobile we will go with total revenue.

You said that Uk was the 2-3 biggest market, din't you ?  UK isn't another USA or China.

I doubt traditional gaming is bigger in China than in the UK despite the massive population difference.

Wyrdness said:
The answer to this is not that complicated, most of the gamers who used to buy these games on consoles a while back are now on portable devices, XIII is no excuse because FFII didn't hurt the franchise despite it being viewed as one of the franchise's weaker games in fact sales increased with the next installment.

The question is not about the previous game hurting the brand it's more about why portables have become the dominant force, I hear culture in Japan has people moving around a lot which portables suit and given that portables in recent times are now starting to match consoles in the type of games in their libraries it becomes more clear why they're opting for portable devices.

As it goes any brand that is strictly rooted to a home console is on a path to decline in Japan as the problem is a platform one not a brand one.

You're really using a comparison from 1988 to make a point of the games industry in 2016? Wat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

You're really using a comparison from 1988 to make a point of the games industry in 2016? Wat.

So you're saying installments that aren't as well recieved can only have an effect on any brand in 2016? LOL.

Ka-pi96 said:
Lawlight said:

I doubt traditional gaming is bigger in China than in the UK despite the massive population difference.

That would really depend what you mean by traditional gaming. PC gaming is pretty big in China too, so if you`re including PC as traditional then China would be right up there. Although if you`re just talking console then China really is pathetically small.

But we don't play those Chinese games though. 

Wyrdness said:
outlawauron said:

So you're saying installments that aren't as well recieved can only have an effect on any brand in 2016? LOL.

Of course not. The market was in a incredible state of growth in Japan. It was going to grow regardless of the relative quality because of the increased install base, marketing efforts, and realization that you could play video games in your home.

In 2016, information on games is widely available over the internet, the console market is in a huge decline, and people are able to find very similar games on cheaper/free platforms.

Bad word of mouth is able to do far more damage.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.