By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much does the switch have to sell to be a success?

If Nintendo is indeed merging it's handheld and home consoles into one and is no longer going to do both. Won't it have to sell at least 80 million or maybe even 100 million for that to make sense? I feel like Nintendo is actually missing out on making even more money by not having two different consoles on the market at the same time. What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

Go ask Nintendo

50 mil!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Considering the Handheld market is in decline they had to something different, switch is it. It doesn't have to reach the sales of WiiU+3DS to be a success necessarily.

I'd like to see at least 60 million though.

Ah, the real question. Later on many will say it succeeded or failed based on differing definitions of success. My take:

less than 20M failure
more than 20M OK
more than 50M success (good)
more than 80M insane success

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Also because everyone doesn't seem to understand success and failure relies a lot more on software sales then hardware sales

illdill1987 said:

If Nintendo is indeed merging it's handheld and home consoles into one and is no longer going to do both. Won't it have to sell at least 80 million or maybe even 100 million for that to make sense? I feel like Nintendo is actually missing out on making even more money by not having two different consoles on the market at the same time. What are your thoughts?

In that case, more than 70m... You also mean  commercial success, because it can be a financial success with just 40m if Ninteno handles it right.

As for the last part, it's one of the risks  of  that business move. It's more related to software sales though. 

Will Mario kart 9 on a hybrid system sell as much as a Mario kart 9 on handheld console and a Mario kart 10 on a home console would sell combined? it could, or it could not.

Well, the hybrid system could get a Mario kart 10 too, but Nintendo isn't used to give sequels of a game on the same gen platform, plus that this would be the real milking and could lead to ideas drying up for the next games.

It needs to sell well enough to provide an ecosystem where games can sell well and make Nintendo adequate profits.

Install base is not a direct measure of whether or not a platform is successful. A device that sells 30 million and earns the company a few billion in profit is far more successful than a device that sells 100 million and causes the company to lose a few billion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I think 40-50 Million is fair. But considering it won't be sold at a loss, anything they sell will technically be a success.

Anything less than 70m means Nintendo continues to decline in relevance.
Anything less than 50m shows a steep decline.
Anything less than 30m and they might as well go 3rd party.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.