By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much does the switch have to sell to be a success?

zorg1000 said:
spemanig said:

Disney has had their relevance decline in video games,even though they are the epitome of relevance culturally. What you're describing is similar, and it would not be good for them. Nintendo is not simply a software company, but a hardware company. That is integral to their identity and their bottom line, and having that decline more than the abysmal levels it is at currently would be very bad for them, regardless of a minor boost in software sales. All of that other stuff is supplementary to their dedicated gaming business, and selling hardware is the structural foundation of that gaming business. That cannot be overstated.

My other posts dont take their other business ventures into consideration, read those if you haven't already.

Will do.

Around the Network

About at much as 3DS would be the lower limit of what could be regarded as a successful transition to a hybrid console.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Being successfuol or not is not only aa matter of selling the hardware.Even if the toal hardware sold is less than 3DS + Wii U, if the software ends up being higher, then it will be a bigger success.If it manages to have secent sales of third party on the system, it will be a bigger success.If it manages to sell more peripherals, then it will be a bigger success.There are too many variables to be sure.

And not to mention Nintendo other safety nets, such as the mobile games(which acts as marketing tools), Films and Theme park initiatives, etc.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

At least come close to the 3DS, so above 60 million.

People forget this is also the successor of their handheld business...

zorg1000 said:
spemanig said:

Disney has had their relevance decline in video games,even though they are the epitome of relevance culturally. What you're describing is similar, and it would not be good for them. Nintendo is not simply a software company, but a hardware company. That is integral to their identity and their bottom line, and having that decline more than the abysmal levels it is at currently would be very bad for them, regardless of a minor boost in software sales. All of that other stuff is supplementary to their dedicated gaming business, and selling hardware is the structural foundation of that gaming business. That cannot be overstated.

My other posts dont take their other business ventures into consideration, read those if you haven't already.

Just read them. My point still stands.

If the question is about relevance, their other business ventures are relevant (sorry) to this discussion. The entire purpose of these ventures is to increase the relevance of Nintendo's brand and IP.

Your question asked if selling less hardware and more hardware, would they be declining in relevance. Yes. There are less people buying the same product. If the Switch sells 30m units, but 20m copies of MK8, that is bad because it's the same people buying every other Nintendo franchise. It's relevant to THEM, but not in general. The more overlap there is between franchise audiences, the less relevant the platform as a whole is.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Because this isn't a  sure thing...

As much as it takes to make wide profit margins.

VGPolyglot said:
Ljink96 said:
I think 40-50 Million is fair. But considering it won't be sold at a loss, anything they sell will technically be a success.

Not really, because while they may make money on each individual unit, a certain amount has to be sold to make up for the R&D costs.

They sold most of their mariners baseball team stake for 610m$...

tak13 said:
Turkish said:

Because this isn't a  sure thing...

You serious? The Switch is a handheld system, you will never ever have to need a tv to play it.

It's of about sales numbers, it is about profits and sustained revenue inflows.

If Nintendo sells 50 million and makes 6 billion in profits over 3 years, and creates a sustained inflow of profit that last several years, that would be a much bigger success than if they sold 120 million, made 1 billion in profits over 3 years, and had no sustained revenue.

Success matters on how much profit Nintendo plans to generate, and the number of sales required to generate it. In addition, they have to push a platform with a healthy environment for their software sales.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.