Forums - Microsoft Discussion - It's Early Days for 4K/HDR Gaming, Microsoft Exec Says

To be honest, at times it seems like it's still early days for 1080p on consoles too... Last I heard, there were still a lot of games below 1080p on consoles.

Also, I don't really understand the push for 4k. It's probably one of the most wasteful ways of improving the graphical quality of games. The processing power 4k requires could probably be used in much better ways. If anything, I'd expect devs to try to keep the resolution lower as long as possible, considering how good 1080p is. The only explanation I can come up with is that 4k is a pretty powerful marketing term.



Around the Network

Streaming is the future, not 4K Blu ray.



Zkuq said:
To be honest, at times it seems like it's still early days for 1080p on consoles too... Last I heard, there were still a lot of games below 1080p on consoles.

Also, I don't really understand the push for 4k. It's probably one of the most wasteful ways of improving the graphical quality of games. The processing power 4k requires could probably be used in much better ways. If anything, I'd expect devs to try to keep the resolution lower as long as possible, considering how good 1080p is. The only explanation I can come up with is that 4k is a pretty powerful marketing term.

This.

I would say 4k is a powerful marketing term but it also takes far less effort than actually tweaking a games build for the Pro/Scorpio. I'm hoping when PS4/XB1 become obsolete, developers will completely ignore 4k as a target and we'll once again need another set of mid gen updates for those who want that extra bit of image clarity.



Mafioso said:

Its funny how these articles stroke people a certain way.

Just listened to the podcast and it sounds nothing to the effect of the conversation taking a dig at Sony.

It covers some talk of the nuances of HDR at its infancy. Like how many TV's require a certain HDMi output, the confusion around the formats, have to be set a certain way , require lots of fine tuning for good HDR IQ, etc...

The current space is a bit rough indeed, specially with all the 8bit sets and non-wide color gamut tv's out there with HDR branding . I can imagine as it becomes more standardized it will become more consumer and content creator friendly, newer televisions will have better/smarter implementations of HDR content, etc...

tell me about it. i been wanting to get a new TV, and its been hell. so many things to consider, so many settings i need to check. its fucking ridiculous. 

 

i really hope in a year or two, all these 8 bit tvs and false HDR tvs stop being produced. because you got TV's that dont really support HDR10, yet the marketing companies have kind of says they do. its just a hellish nightmare. i also really hope Input lag is reduced. LG tvs have horrible input lag for instance.



kowenicki said:
BraLoD said:
It's okay, Sony is already showing it, on people's homes, no need to wait, they are watching and playing it already.

So are loads of other companies,  whats your point?

Bolded.
People already have access to it, they don't need to be told or show how it looks like, it's already there.



Around the Network
teigaga said:
Zkuq said:
To be honest, at times it seems like it's still early days for 1080p on consoles too... Last I heard, there were still a lot of games below 1080p on consoles.

Also, I don't really understand the push for 4k. It's probably one of the most wasteful ways of improving the graphical quality of games. The processing power 4k requires could probably be used in much better ways. If anything, I'd expect devs to try to keep the resolution lower as long as possible, considering how good 1080p is. The only explanation I can come up with is that 4k is a pretty powerful marketing term.

This.

I would say 4k is a powerful marketing term but it also takes far less effort than actually tweaking a games build for the Pro/Scorpio. I'm hoping when PS4/XB1 become obsolete, developers will completely ignore 4k as a target and we'll once again need another set of mid gen updates for those who want that extra bit of image clarity.

Ooh, good point about tweaking. 4k support actually probably is less effort than using the same processing power for improving graphics in other ways, so that's actually a pretty strong point for 4k. Also, that wish is probably in vain. By the time the next generation (or equivalent) arrives, 4k TVs are going to be very common if only because by that time, it'll be hard to find any half-decent non-4k TVs. 4k games will probably be the standard because 4k TVs will be the standard. I'm already seeing mostly 4k TVs being advertised, and they're already quite affordable.



BraLoD said:
walsufnir said:

MS also but that doesn't falsify his statement.

Really true 4K?

Stop the console wars warrior bullshit, he is right. How do you want to show people the benefits of HDR, for example? By saying you can already experience it in games which don't exceed 10 in number and where it was patched in later?



Random_Matt said:
Streaming is the future, not 4K Blu ray.

Managed to read the first 2 lines while not reading the overly long article, I guess?



walsufnir said:
BraLoD said:

Really true 4K?

Stop the console wars warrior bullshit, he is right. How do you want to show people the benefits of HDR, for example? By saying you can already experience it in games which don't exceed 10 in number and where it was patched in later?

I'm making fun on their own way of doing the warz keep going on, actually, so yeah, would like to stop it, but they don't want me to, so heh...
Feel free to blame me for it, tho, lol.



Random_Matt said:
Streaming is the future, not 4K Blu ray.

off topic.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995