By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - It's Early Days for 4K/HDR Gaming, Microsoft Exec Says

BraLoD said:
walsufnir said:

MS also but that doesn't falsify his statement.

Really true 4K?

Stop the console wars warrior bullshit, he is right. How do you want to show people the benefits of HDR, for example? By saying you can already experience it in games which don't exceed 10 in number and where it was patched in later?

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Streaming is the future, not 4K Blu ray.

Managed to read the first 2 lines while not reading the overly long article, I guess?

Zkuq said:
teigaga said:

This.

I would say 4k is a powerful marketing term but it also takes far less effort than actually tweaking a games build for the Pro/Scorpio. I'm hoping when PS4/XB1 become obsolete, developers will completely ignore 4k as a target and we'll once again need another set of mid gen updates for those who want that extra bit of image clarity.

Ooh, good point about tweaking. 4k support actually probably is less effort than using the same processing power for improving graphics in other ways, so that's actually a pretty strong point for 4k. Also, that wish is probably in vain. By the time the next generation (or equivalent) arrives, 4k TVs are going to be very common if only because by that time, it'll be hard to find any half-decent non-4k TVs. 4k games will probably be the standard because 4k TVs will be the standard. I'm already seeing mostly 4k TVs being advertised, and they're already quite affordable.

Yeah, its hard to predict. Although 4k TVs will be the only TVs sold in a few years, I don't think the general population are going to be hugely anal about whether the gaming content is native 4k or not. Just as we went a whole generation where almost nothing was 1080p and many games fell short of 720p. I think devs will target everything from 1080p/1440p/1800p/4k. Fundementally 1080p looks great and when some games come out at 1080p looking like GCI and others go with 4k and look significantly worse, I think the pressure will be on to find the right balance between resolution/performance and graphics. 

BraLoD said:
walsufnir said:

Stop the console wars warrior bullshit, he is right. How do you want to show people the benefits of HDR, for example? By saying you can already experience it in games which don't exceed 10 in number and where it was patched in later?

I'm making fun on their own way of doing the warz keep going on, actually, so yeah, would like to stop it, but they don't want me to, so heh...
Feel free to blame me for it, tho, lol.

Well yeah, mainly because you keep dancing to the tune. I see this going on and on time and time again on here and other sites like IGN and it's just becoming such a load of tripe seeing swipes back and forth. Going  with "yeah I'll stop when they stop" isn't going to absolve you from others pointing out that you're in the same position as those you stab.

OT: I think it still is that bit early for 4k, in terms of expenses it's not cheap and on the hardware side we hardly have a single GPU that can output at that resolution while mainting 60fps, even then that option isn't cheap either.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

kowenicki said:
Random_Matt said:
Streaming is the future, not 4K Blu ray.

off topic.

Is it? The OP mentions UHD Bluray twice, and mentions 4k video content as well. Though if you think it's offtopic maybe you should just report it instead of making a post that just says "off topic."

Because ironically your post accusing him of being "off topic." is "off topic."

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Zkuq said:

Ooh, good point about tweaking. 4k support actually probably is less effort than using the same processing power for improving graphics in other ways, so that's actually a pretty strong point for 4k. Also, that wish is probably in vain. By the time the next generation (or equivalent) arrives, 4k TVs are going to be very common if only because by that time, it'll be hard to find any half-decent non-4k TVs. 4k games will probably be the standard because 4k TVs will be the standard. I'm already seeing mostly 4k TVs being advertised, and they're already quite affordable.

Yeah, its hard to predict. Although 4k TVs will be the only TVs sold in a few years, I don't think the general population are going to be hugely anal about whether the gaming content is native 4k or not. Just as we went a whole generation where almost nothing was 1080p and many games fell short of 720p. I think devs will target everything from 1080p/1440p/1800p/4k. Fundementally 1080p looks great and when some games come out at 1080p looking like GCI and others go with 4k and look significantly worse, I think the pressure will be on to find the right balance between resolution/performance and graphics. 

Personally I think publishers and developers are going to look at the number of 4k TVs out there and go for 4k just because of that, even if there's not much customer demand for 4k games. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that goes.

walsufnir said:
BraLoD said:

Really true 4K?

Actually, Microsoft said this originally.

BraLoD said:

What you have been seeing and where you have been seeing it, have absolutely zero to do with me, so jump after that pointless part, I'm not trying to absolve me from anything, I'm openly making fun of them for doing what they are doing, it's as simple as that, if that were to stop sometime I wouldn't even need to want to stop, it would be stopped, because it wouldn't be happening.
As I said to him, feel free to blame me on it, again, I'm not trying to be absolved of anything.

The point is that you seem to want to absolve yourself from making fun of them, then whenever they point out something from your end, you toss them a curve ball. Even now you're trying to set it up in such a way that you wouldn't rip on someone if they weren't acting in such a way that made you want to go out of your way to rip on them. Just imagine for a second that you did that to someone on the street and they socked you one, do you think for a single moment that that eprson absolutely deserved to get ripped into and yourself getting what was deserved on your end?. It seems to me that you want to excuse any form of ripping on anyone or anything, just as long as "they stop it first".

You'll get what you tag yourself in, don't want to egt tagged, follow your own words.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

LivingMetal said:
walsufnir said:

Actually, Microsoft said this originally.

They did but the response was clearly what I pointed out. Nothing gets better when your favorite company says something.

bananaking21 said:
Mafioso said:

Its funny how these articles stroke people a certain way.

Just listened to the podcast and it sounds nothing to the effect of the conversation taking a dig at Sony.

It covers some talk of the nuances of HDR at its infancy. Like how many TV's require a certain HDMi output, the confusion around the formats, have to be set a certain way , require lots of fine tuning for good HDR IQ, etc...

The current space is a bit rough indeed, specially with all the 8bit sets and non-wide color gamut tv's out there with HDR branding . I can imagine as it becomes more standardized it will become more consumer and content creator friendly, newer televisions will have better/smarter implementations of HDR content, etc...

tell me about it. i been wanting to get a new TV, and its been hell. so many things to consider, so many settings i need to check. its fucking ridiculous. 

i really hope in a year or two, all these 8 bit tvs and false HDR tvs stop being produced. because you got TV's that dont really support HDR10, yet the marketing companies have kind of says they do. its just a hellish nightmare. i also really hope Input lag is reduced. LG tvs have horrible input lag for instance.

I was considering getting a 4k TV this year.  But, the reality is that it doesn't really make sense to do so right now, unless you just really must be the top dog in your neighborhood.  The specs are confusing, the content is lacking, and the pricing is all over the place.  Given all this, I've decided to wait another year.