By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - It's Early Days for 4K/HDR Gaming, Microsoft Exec Says

bananaking21 said:
VAMatt said:

I was considering getting a 4k TV this year.  But, the reality is that it doesn't really make sense to do so right now, unless you just really must be the top dog in your neighborhood.  The specs are confusing, the content is lacking, and the pricing is all over the place.  Given all this, I've decided to wait another year.  

i was gonna get the Sony X850D. for its price, i was surprised by the specs it offered. it seems like a great TV, and rather cheap. however i needed to ship it from outside the country, and wasnt able to. so i will be waiting. im not in a rush to buy a new TV, but i want one sooner or later, and i am getting a 4k TV with HDR to cover next gen. 

Might I ask which country are you from?

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
bananaking21 said:

i was gonna get the Sony X850D. for its price, i was surprised by the specs it offered. it seems like a great TV, and rather cheap. however i needed to ship it from outside the country, and wasnt able to. so i will be waiting. im not in a rush to buy a new TV, but i want one sooner or later, and i am getting a 4k TV with HDR to cover next gen. 

Jordan. 

bananaking21 said:
LivingMetal said:

Jordan. 

So would it be the cost of delivery, customs issue, etc.  I'm pretty ignorant about this.

BraLoD said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

It wasn't even a good one. Sure, people who already have 4k sets and HDR capable displays can easily see the difference and some of them might be seeing it on PS4 Pro already. He's clearly talking about those who don't have those displays though. 

I mean.. if you consider "I'm surprised they didn't include a 4k BR player" to be a "petty jab" then your own shit posts where you are trying to make fun of them must make you cringe. At least, the ones that make sense, not this one you made here. Its cringe worthy for other reasons.

So, you won't point me where I supposedly admitted what you said I did? Still waiting.

Also, if you don't like it... good for you I guess? Will just make clear this kind of personal stuff probably won't go down well, even if I won't really report you as I just don't care enough, really, feel free to disagree or to cringe on it as much as you want, just as I do with your stuff, but don't go with this "shit" you are throwing here, won't really end well.

Personal stuff? Since when is a post you made in this thread today "personal stuff"? I haven't accused you of doing anything you didn't already admit to doing. Hope that helps :)

Not sure what the heck happened in here...but stop it. Stay on-topic or take it to PM.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

Penello has a point. You have this new technology and you can show it only to those who already have it. It's quite difficult to advertise in that sense. Also 4K and HDR are really new in this industry maybe except on the PC side. Until Xbox One S released no console was upscaling to 4K or had HDR content. So yeah really it's fairly new.

As for taking jabs, I think we just need to report those who can't refrain themselves from "making fun" just because they feel like doing it. Mods are not always present and it shows.

Jazz2K said:
Penello has a point. You have this new technology and you can show it only to those who already have it. It's quite difficult to advertise in that sense. Also 4K and HDR are really new in this industry maybe except on the PC side. Until Xbox One S released no console was upscaling to 4K or had HDR content. So yeah really it's fairly new.

This is a big part of the reason that 3D didn't catch on, and it is a challenge that VR is facing right now.

Relative to those technologies, I think 4K, and to a lesser extent HDR, have it easy.  Most people that are even half-way interested in video technology can understand what the increased pixel count and color range will do.  We've been through similar upgrades a few times in the last couple of decades. HDR and 4K are simply the next steps.