By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan : FF XV is the worst FF debut ever on PlayStation Consoles

Considering it's the least FF game ever created that's not a surprise. Well, the western sales will make up for it. After all that's the people SE developed this game for and not the Japanese.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Dunno who Ito is, but I agree! Anybody but Tabata/Nomura for XVI. I`d honestly rather they pick some random person off the street to be in charge of it than either of them.

Ito directed 6 and 9 helped with 12. As in he's the best one they have yet he's not directed a game in ages. I kind of hope that SquEnix have let him and Minagawa (the other director of FF12 and Ivalice team) make the next FF game and they've been working on it for a while now.

I think Nomura needs to stick to KH, that is at least his to do with as he pleases.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
Jpcc86 said:
Isnt it the second fastest selling FF worldwide tho? Cause at the end of the day, thats what matters, not Japan alone.

First, actually. Also the first to ever release simultaneously worldwide though, so it would have been pretty bad if it wasn`t. Will have to wait a while and see how it goes to see how it really compares to others in the series. Although when we get NPD sales (and the inevitable comparison with previous FF NPD sales) that will make things a lot clearer.

Yep. Im not really surprised tho, the direction the game took clearly is aimed to a western audience. Doesn't feel much like a jrpg. 

Not
Enough
Waifus

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ka-pi96 said:
pokoko said:
It's kind of funny, considering the 'boy band' vibe being aimed straight at Japanese pop culture. There are also more than enough Monster Hunter type games.

Stop trying to make Final Fantasy mimic everything else, Square.

Wouldn't be surprised if the next game is about a group of female Idols who use guns loaded with colorful ink.

Assuming the majority of console owners are still male (a fair assumption I think) then that would likely be a much bigger hit than any `boy band` stuff

At least they'd have more colorful outfits.  

Though, groups of 'attractive guys bonding' is really popular in Japan right now and a fair amount of females there play RPGs and video-games.  There are like 5 anime this season that fit that description.  Also, my god, FF15 erotic content has flooded the net--and very little of it seems to feature the female characters.

The theme with this game was clearly designed to target that popularity.

Around the Network

Also keep in mind that Japan loves their traditional turn based rpgs. I think this western approach to the combat is what keeps a lot of people from buying the game.

Think for yourself, question authority

pokoko said:

Also, my god, FF15 erotic content has flooded the net--and very little of it seems to feature the female characters.

The theme with this game was clearly designed to target that popularity.

Good. Not only that contributes to the popularity of the game, it also provides amazing, worthwhile content to fight all that flooding amount of yuri that's contaminating websites.

Worst non-numbered main entry you mean? It was a given. FFXIII-II-III obviously hurt the franchise and the botched release of 14 didnt help (tough RR did it good). Also we are forgetting digital sales as well. ALl in all IMO this is a solid debute. Both software and hardware sales wise.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Jranation said:
Pavolink said:
It seems Splatoon will remain as the highest homeconsole game in sales this gen.

Oh wow! What a shocker! And its on the Wii U!  It looks like Japan wants some new stuff. 

I know 10000 people must have said this already but you served it on a silver plate: I mean it's not a huge shocker that Japan wants entratainment  related to Squids that spray in Ink on little Girls.

Btw a real shame that the game couldn't sell as much as the other titles in the series, I wonder when/if XVI/XVII (depending on XVI beeing MMO or not) will come out, I mean shure, the sales are still astonishing, but it'd need a world similar in size to XV to draw interest and that needs a HUGE ammount of money, let's see in a few years if XV managed to make a profit selling those 10M copies, perhaps with help from a PC/Switch port...

Yikes. When FF underperforms in Japan, something needs to be re-evaluated. Well I guess FFXV is more of a western game than a Japanese RPG, so I guess it was to be expected. Not terrible numbers by the stretch of the imagination but still, outdone by SFC FFs...